mtbr member

34T chainring on STP SS?

I searched all over the place but can't find anything about this:
    I have a 08 Giant STP SS with a TruVativ 36T front chain ring. I want to drop the ratio down to a 34T to make it easier at the bmx track I ride at. I have two questions regarding this

A) will any 34T chain ring for a SS work or does it need to be a TruVativ? Also if TruVativ I can't find them online anywhere?

B) I've never changed a chain ring before, looking at it I assume you just unscrew the 4 allen heads holding it on?

Thanks

dirt rules
    You will need to find a chainring with the same bolt pattern many companies make or sell them. Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward job. You may need to drop a link from your chain too.

mtbr member
    any four bolt 104 ss chain ring will work

the only problem iv ran into is some ss rings have to ran on the out side of the spider if not ss specific cranks

if you cant find truvativ i know e-13 and race face make 34 tooth rings

mtbr member
    what rear cog size do you have ?

34-16 is excellent for bmx tracks. 34/16 X 26 = 55.25 gear inches.

36-17 gets you to almost exactly the same ratio. so if you have a 17 cog lying around, you wouldnt have to change the chainring. whichever you think is easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    34t will work fine. truvativ is owned by SRAM. gotta go to their site to check their stuff.

sram.com

mtbr member
    Actually I ended up getting a 32t chainring from FSA (full speed ahead). Had to drop one link on my chain but I love the results. 2:1 ratio is so nice