Thread: 26 to 20

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006

26 to 20

ok so im lookin in to buying a bmx bike after my 26in ht dies (wich will be soon)
    and i was wondering how much diferent they are to ride.
    am i going to totaly suck on a smaller bike or will my skils transfer over?
    the next bike i buy will be the last one i buy for a while so i gotta know this

Air Junkie
    I would get a DK General Lee 24", awsome bike feels like a bmx and a mtb. But if you must have a 20" then, Just go to danscomp.com and have a look around. Swaping from 26" to 20" takes about a day to get used to, a week and you'll be rippin' it up!

mtbr remember
    I would disagree, I think it's a bit harder (at least for me), to readjust to a 20"er... don't get your hopes up that if you can ride a 26'er you can suddenly rip a 20"er... that is NOT the case.
    how much are you looking to spend? for about $700 you can have about the best of the best in bmx, or close.
    Look at albesdotcom or staff-bmxdotcom. I would recommend building one yourself. Maybe a Sunday frame, animal, TSC, and macneil parts, odyssey wheelset, etc. 25:9 gear ratio, 3/8ths front, 14mm rear.
    TSC and Volume also make complete 24" bikes, but that general is a KILLER deal for what you get.
    Schralp it Heavy.

resident dumbass
    You'd have to re-adjust. Personally, 20 inchers suck balls. 24 inch is a safe bet.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr remember
    20 inchers suck balls
    hey, not to stereotype or judge here, but generally if this is your statement, it means more than just "the bike sucks" it means the rider could use some "balls". which unfortunetly I must say, I could no longer hang on a 20"er, that's one reason I ebayed my wethepeople....
    Schralp it Heavy.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Once you get used to a 20", you won't want to go back to a 24" or 26". If you haven't put in any time on a 20", I think it will take you some time to get used to it, but it will eventually make you a better rider in other disciplines like XC. I can't give up my 20".

resident dumbass
    Okay, maybe suck balls is a bit strong, but let's put it this way: I wouldn't ride a 20 incher if you gave it to me for free.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

tuck-n-roll master
    mmm, i wouldn't count on your skills tranferring over to the 20". two completely different feeling rides. i would say that bmx skills can transfer over to mtb, but not necessarily the other way around. if money is an issue, go with the bmx. relatively unbreakable and fixing them is a piece of cake. i'd test ride a few before i made up my mind though. just my two cents.

rock hard or hardrock
    id say it will take about a day or 2
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    ya money is tight for me so having a bike that isnt always needing to be fixed would great

mtbr member
    bmx is great fun but don't expect to be great the first few hours on it. definitely takes a while to get used to

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think that if you can bunny hop really well with a mtb then you'll do way better with a 20 incher. I'm way better on a bmx bike and am starting to get better with my new chase 2, I love the shape of this new bike its like a big bmx bike. What I like over the smaller bikes are that I've ridden them for 20 years and I'm quickly adjusting to the bigger wheels.