Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

24" BMX vs 26" MTBMX

I'm broke, and saving for my next mountain bike. In the meantime, I wanna hit the local BMX track. It's been on hard time lately, and needs some new faces around. I've never owned a BMX bike, but I have owned an Azonic steelhead, and I bought my girlfriend a small Santa Cruz Chameleon. I've also ridden at Rays MTB Park quite a few times, and I'm comfortable on the rhythm sections there.

So, for $300 will a 24" BMX do the trick, or will I never feel comfortable on that style of bike?

or should I just spend a bit more and get a 26" dirt jumper like an Eastern, P-Series, or SE Bikes Primetime?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're riding the track only, find an old race style 24" Redline or something of the like. The DJ bikes are made for dirt jumping.

I sold a Redline 24" cruiser a few years ago for $300. I'm mad at myself for getting rid of it.

Pro Crastinator
    the geo differences between a 24" bmx cruiser and a 26" mtbmx are pretty big. they are completely different monsters. as dion stated, if its mainly for bmx track purposes, get the bmx. whether or not you will feel comfortable is a question none of us can answer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been riding BMX for 10+ years and jumping on a 26" DJ bike with front suspension was surprisingly comfortable and still very fun. Most BMXers consider anything more than 20" to not really be true BMX but as I push 30 years old I'm not so much worried about what is "true BMX" and what isn't, I just want to be able to hop on a bike and have a good time. If you want to race I think the biggest class races 24" but if you have no interest in racing get a 26". The size is just as versatile and easily more "comfortable" than the other choices and comfort is what we came for right?

mtbr member
    A few years ago I bought a Redline Cruiser for roughly $180 to get back into biking, I hit XC trails on it, rode street, and even took it to the local track a few times. I spent another $100 on some Primo cranks to replace the one piece cranks that came with the bike. I spent about a month looking for a used bike, but found a cruiser at local bike shop that had been sitting on the showroom floor for a couple of years, dated looks, but only the cool kids care about that crap.

Nothing though beats the simplicity of the cruiser though. I still take the cruiser out to get a different feel for the trails every now and then.