mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2013 rm slayer ss problems

I have a week old 2013 rm slayer ss and the headset is coming loose. Replaced the plastic crown race and compression ring but still having the issue. Maybe the stem is slipping? The star nut is getting pulled out. Just curious if anybody else has similar problems?

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    put in a new heatset.

unless you put it together wrong or missed a spacer

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bike came with 10 series and I put in all 40 series parts except the cups and star nut. It held for a few jumps but still came loose.

Ya, I keep tearing it down and putting it back to together thinking it was something stupid simple. Dang thing just wants to loosen up. Maybe the star nut is worth replacing.

Other issues, paint is flaky off at the brake mount. Front wheel has play in it and the shock doesn't seem progressive like advertised. Shock body has med comp and med reb on it. Not sure if that reflects the guts or not but with 20% sag, I'm blowing thru the travel on small jumps (relative to a real ss course).

Super bummed because I like the ride but the quality blows.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    how tight are your stem bolts on the steer tube? i dont have any slipping even when i remove the top bolt (after tightening headset) but i can also tell you im way over torqued on those bolts

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have the stem bolts cranked pretty damn tight. The.gap (in the back) is nearly gone.

I'll loosen the top cap and see if the stem slips (good idea). I did notice that the steer tube is pretty slick.

Moose Member
    advice on the shock, having ridden 3 slopestyle bikes, you don't want 20% sag. The things a dirt jumper, not an XC bike. I weigh about 140 lbs, and run 175-200 PSI on my current slope bike. there's about 1-2% sag, and the thing never bottoms. It's so much better for jumping than a floppy wet noodle shock...

Just an Idea, I'm not saying it will fix your problem, but try running less sag and more psi in the shock...

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i dont recommend hitting any jumps. maybe ride around the block and rolling everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My first pure dj bike. Little bit clueless on setup, I thought 20% was stiff vs my dh bikes, ha. I'm 160 lbs and have 160 psi in the shock.