I am buying this bike later today -

Marzocchi MX Comp Bomber front shocks w/ adjustable travel
    Ritchey Rizer bar
    Bashring around sprocket
    Chain guide
    Shimano rim brakes
    Alexrims DM18 rims
    Raptor tires - good tread

Would this (with some slicks) serve well as an urban assault vehicle?

I think so - but wanted some expert opinion before paying the $

This is the Discipline frame from when they had several diff Disciplines - the next year they called it the Obsession, their DJ frame.

Any info on this frame or comments on the components on it would be appreciated!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    How much are you paying?

because I'm pretty sure unless its like $50, its not worth it.

Are you buying it local or what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    $300, local

why would you say it's not worth it?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    because I'm selling a bike thats 2 years newer, has a better fork, better brake, better wheels, etc for $350.

sure you have to pay for shipping, but there are many used bikes out there (check out RideMonkey.com or PinkBike classifieds) that would blow that thing out of the water geometry and spec wise.

What's your background bud? Ever ride a MTB or BMX before? How old are you? Whats your riding area like?

We'll help you, you just gotta give us the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    "but there are many used bikes out there (check out RideMonkey.com or PinkBike classifieds) that would blow that thing out of the water geometry and spec wise."

Will do - I've been looking on CL mostly.

"What's your background bud? Ever ride a MTB or BMX before? "
    I rode BMX and street as a kid - I used to shred back in the day I bought a GT iDrive 5.0 about 7 yrs ago but never really liked it or rode it much, and sold it on CL earlier this week. I also worked in a bike shop as a kid and am not bad mechanically.

"How old are you? Whats your riding area like? "

Im 34, overweight and working on that. I live in Phoenix AZ but am moving to SF this summer. I'm looking for something that can let me do some urban riding (catch some air,wallride, etc), maybe ride a park, and still be able to be used as neighborhood transportation.

Other bikes I've looked at are the p2, stp, haro thread 8, etc. Basically urban/dj type bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    All the reviews I've seen for Fetish framse so far are pretty positive in terms of build and strenght.

It has a decent fork on it, too...? Are the wheels that bad?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    The MX Comp is a pretty simple fork, and they've come along since then. Alex rims aren't too terrible, but they aren't as burly as bigger rider might want. Rims brakes work, but again, you can buy newer bikes in the $400 price range with discs.

That fancy (and kind of weird) tubing design, the geometry looks a bit "off" and is likely not the lightest or strongest. I've looked around and all I see is newer, traditional framed Disciplines, which tells me they obviously ditched the boxed tubing for a reason.

Again, its not so much that its a bad bike, its that there are many other used options in that price bracket.

PM me if you want to know what I've got.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I wondered why they didn't stick with that frame design for long....

What do you have? post it up

I'm having a hard time finding decent bikes on CL with owners who have a clue about what they are selling is worth.

The owner was asking for 400 originally, I said I'd go for 3.

I don't think I'm going to buy it later.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

My bike, about 6 months ago.

Now its got better cranks, pedals, and rocking a single hydro disc out back.

I'm asking $350 for it complete, but I can't technically be selling it on MTBR, so I have it listed on RideMonkey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm moving to SF which is notorious for hills and more hills so I don't really want to buy a single speed. 7 8 or 9 of them would be nice though.

That is a nice bike! What frame is that?

mtbr member
    Looks like an Steelhead frame, great frame and it's steel. Depending on the component list, 350 seems like a fair price. You can usually find the frame used for 150, so 350 for a complete is def fair.

You moving to SF, great move! I moved from Phx to Sac and love it. Phx is just an awful place to live, hella xc trails though.