Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

20" vs 24" vs 26" in PRICING

I'm 5'11" 26 years old and rigid bikes do hurt after awhile.

With that said, I need a play bike (as I already explained in the DH/FR forum). I've got my steeler 29er HT really well setup, reliable, and comfortable. My road bike is close to 30 years old and its still flawless. I could build a commuter bike...but I dont NEED to.

Thing is, Erie, PA isn't exactly a destination for MTB. There are trails around, but they require a 15 minute drive, and get very soggy after rain. Some offer stunts and jumps, but nothing too substantial.

I want a play bike that isn't dependent on trail conditions. Whether that's a downhill bike that can be used for drops off the garage or 4X bike that can be fun on the street.

20" bikes are a dime a dozen, nearly indestructible, and can be fun even in a small basement. I can find 09 $500 BMX bikes for $200.

24" bikes combine the snappy "fun" aspect of the smaller 20" bikes but also are a bit easier on the joints. Not nearly as a cramped and able to support suspension forks. 24" BMX Cruisers can be harder to find than even a DJ-26 and often times more expensive. I can't even find any of these on Craigslist within 100 miles.

26" "jump bikes" cover a wide range of uses. Some can be ridden all day fairly comfortable with 5" travel (DH-HT) and at the same time have a lowered fork for on the street. Finding them used can be tricky, as they are a somewhat specialized niche. Cheapest local used bike was $550.

So I guess my question is this:

If you were on a $300 a week budget with "normal" rent, and you already had "proper" bike, which would be your first pick as a "fun bike?"

meh
    300 a week after expenses like rent?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well it doesnt look like your budget right now has the funds for anything more than a BMX. So either a BMX or wait and save

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    300 a week is what my current income is.

Think of it as more of "what would you do in my situation" type of question.

I'd be curious to know of any older folks (over 25) who are still riding 20" and whether the feel moving up to a 24 or 26 was a better choice or worth the money.

meh
    cheapest bike possible
    you should know what kind of expendable income you have much better than us, what can you afford? thats your answer

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I could afford a $2000 bike with some aggressive savings, but do I really want that bike?

Any older guys ride a BMX or have compared 26 and 20"

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    I could afford a $2000 bike with some aggressive savings, but do I really want that bike?

I'm 27 and have a 29er HT SS as a comfort bike. I had a 20" last year that I sold to fund the 29er. Anyways, at 6'5" I was okay on the 20" but not too comfortable, especially for longer rides. Right now I am leaning toward getting a Sunday Model C 24 or a Haro Steele Reserve 1.1 26 (I want rigid). Price wise, If you can deal with rigid look into the Steele Reserve 1.1 as they are $470 new. But also I think you should fit fine on a 20" (and cheaper price too)
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member

A 26" dirt jumper sounds ideal for you. .watch out for specialized P bikes, haro steel reserve, dk asterik, eastern thunderbird, blackmarket Riot etc.

OR

offer this guy like 250 :

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/2023918715.html
    Kona Stuff - $400 (Slippery Rock)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2010-10-24, 11:37PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-xxyen-2023918715@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a kona stuff dirt jumper for sale. Frame size is large bike is pretty much stock. It has a marzocchi dirt jumper 2 fork on it. With shimano shifters and hayes ryde brakes. And easton handle bars.. Please email me with any questions or if interested in coming to see the bike.
    Thanks!

dirt rules
    Rode my last 20" BMX at 43 years old.... currently 45 and riding fully rigid 24" bike.
    I have a squishy bike too, but it's full squish, and meant for the mountain.
    Street and trails = rigid.
    I had 20" and 26" street/trails bikes for a while, and fell that 24s are the sweet spot for me.... 20 is too small and 26 is too big.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    At 42 years old I was on a 24" race cruiser. Now at 43 I'm on a SC Jackal. Thinking about a Felt 24" rigid for street.

And I have to add if it wasn't for Sittingduck I probably wouldn't be on a bike again or working as a bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    40, here and 6' 2". I was born on a BMX. Inadvertently took 20 years off from biking. I now have a 2011 Hardrock 29er for the heavy lifting and a 2010 P1 for UA/DJ. Strictly speaking I do not do street or park. I fly and treat urban landscapes as a 4X course.

When I started looking for a DJ bike I naturally went looking for a 20". I soon found That though I could chuck them the cockpit was too cramped. I tried 22" and 24" BMX cruiser and still felt they were too short. The moment I got on the P1 I was in love!

The length was perfect (23.43 inches). The suspension was plush. The wheel size and tire spread was kind to me knees. And, most importantly, she could fly!

I'm not saying get a 26er. I am only telling you of my experience. Try out the different sizes to see what it is like. That is really the only way you will know what you like, what feels right.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Steel Reserve 1.1 is definitely in my price range as a new bike, and I could run a fork later on if I chose.

Might have to try one out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ive been riding 20'' bmx bikes all my life and still do at age of 37. im 5' 9" 155lbs so im still not too big for a 20''. i plan on getting a dj bike in 26" to see how that pans out.

mtbr member
    Pbody, check the Phoenix Craigslist. There are a couple nice DJ bikes if you don't mind shipping costs

mtbr member
    I'm 27 and still rock a 20" on the street. I also have a 26" dirt jump for street / trails / everything.

I'd get a 20" if all you want is something to toss around and beat on. It'll be easier to maintain, easy to get parts, easy to store.

That's what I'd do in your position - especially since you got a big bike already.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    34 here and ride my 20" mostly, cuz it's cheaper and I can work on it. I ride DH too but it's a long ride to the hills so I often opt to ride street or park on the 20.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm finding some really good deals on 2009 BMX bikes for $100.

Fit Street, Redline 5.1, both were over $400 and now selling for $100.

My only worry is that I should ride a 21" TT rather than the standard 20.5.

mtbr member
    I'd try to find a 21"TT, I'm only 5'-6" and love my 21". I honestly don't think the age of a bmx bike is a critical issue. As long as the components are legit you should be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    34 and 6' 2" here and stopped from mainly riding my 20" BMX at 30, and moved onto a 24" BMX. The decision at that time was made because I was just too cramped up and always f@#$ing my back up whenever pulling some moves - well nearly always anyway - that's what age does to you I guess :-(

I've been really happy staying with the 24" for the last 4-5 years or so but am starting to feel like making the move to a rigid or semi-rigid 26". The same thing is happening with my back again on the 24" that was happening towards the end of riding the 20" - so time to move on.

At your height you could ride a 24" comfortably for a very long time I would imagine.....

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm 40. I have a bmx and a 26inch DJ bike. But I spent 30 some years riding 20 inch so it's kinda natural for me.

That Haro looks good. Get that and upgrade parts when you need to.

Members who have read this thread: 0