Thread: 20" or 24"

mtbr member
    May 2007

20" or 24"

I have been riding my suburban at the local bike park quite a bit lately and there are a ton of guys out there on 20's. I haven't ridden a 20" for a long time, so I was considering building up a 24" liquid. I noticed that they were out of stock on the frames and emailed them for availability. The info I received was rather disappointing. They don't know if or when they will be getting more frames, so now I need to find a new frame to build up. I have been looking at the Sunday Wave C, seems like a great frame. While riding at the park on Sunday I took a spin around the pump track on a 20" and loved it, so now I am thinking about a 20" instead but I haven't ruled out a 24".
    There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options for 24" similar to the liquid other than the Wave C. When it comes to 20" I don't even know where to start. I would prefer to build one up but a complete isn't out of the question. Any thoughts on 20" vs 24" would be helpful. Where should I start with 20" in terms of companies for frames or completes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr boo boo View Post
    . . . Where should I start with 20" in terms of companies for frames or completes?
    check out empirebmx.com , albes.com , and danscomp.com . if you scroll through the various complete 20" bmx options you'll get a pretty good idea of what's being offered. pretty much anything on those sites will be decent to excellent; they don't sell any junk.

how tall are you? taller guys tend to prefer a long frame, meaning (21" top tube or more) and taller bars (8"rise or more). but, even medium height riders also ride that setup. (21"tt / 8.25" bars).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out empire bmx and those so many frames to choose from not sure where to start. I like the S&M frames but not really sure which one would suit me best. I plan on riding it at the bike park and the skate park. What should I be looking for in terms of geometry?
    I'm not totally committed to a 20", 24" is still an option. Will a 24" like the wave c be that much different from my Suburban? I want something a little easier to throw around. What other options for 24" are out there that are similar to the Liquid?
    In terms of sizing I'm 5'10"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out empire bmx and those so many frames to choose from not sure where to start. I like the S&M frames but not really sure which one would suit me best. I plan on riding it at the bike park and the skate park. What should I be looking for in terms of geometry?
    I'm not totally committed to a 20", 24" is still an option. Will a 24" like the wave c be that much different from my Suburban? I want something a little easier to throw around. What other options for 24" are out there that are similar to the Liquid?
    In terms of sizing I'm 5'10"
    even though it seems like there are a ton of geometry choices in bmx, there are, but a lot of them are very minor differences. bmx has pretty much settled on 21" top tube, 74.5 head angle, 13.5-ish chainstay length as the standard for a park/street/trails bike for a guy your size. there are a zillion small variations of that setup.

because your Suburban already has very compact geometry for an mtb, i don't think going to a 24" bmx will be nearly as big a difference as going to a 20". bike park/skatepark riding has a lot of spins, quick maneuvering etc. 24" bmx's tend to be better for trails and going big on street/park, not necessarily 'tech' riding in a park. of course people do it. and they do it on 26"DJ bikes as well... but if you've never ridden a 20" or it's been a really long time, it sounds like you should go for a 20".

if you don't want to shell out for a new one, watch for good brands on craigslist.

the sizing on this would be spot on for you:

Empire BMX :: Cult CC02 - 2012 $459.95

Cult CC02 - 2012

$459.95

Frame: 21" TT, 100% cromo
    Fork: 100% cromo with 10mm drop outs
    Handlebar: 100% cromo with 8.25" rise
    Driver: 9 tooth sealed bearing driver
    Sprocket: 25 tooth black
    Crankset: Heat-treated tubular cromo, 175mm
    Bottom Bracket: Sealed mid BB, 19mm
    Chain: Cult 410 chain, black
    Front Wheel: Single wall rim, sealed 3/8" hub
    Front Tire: 2.10" Cult
    Rear Wheel: Double wall rim, sealed 14mm hub
    Rear Tire: 2.10" Cult
    Stem: Alloy front load with Cult logo
    Headset: Integrated, sealed
    Brakes: Alloy u-brake, alloy lever
    Pedals: Odyssey Twisted PC
    Seat: Cult padded Pivotal seat with alloy Pivotal post
    Grips: Cult Dehart grips with Cult bar ends

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have been riding my suburban at the local bike park quite a bit lately and there are a ton of guys out there on 20's. I haven't ridden a 20" for a long time, so I was considering building up a 24" liquid. I noticed that they were out of stock on the frames and emailed them for availability. The info I received was rather disappointing. They don't know if or when they will be getting more frames, so now I need to find a new frame to build up. I have been looking at the Sunday Wave C, seems like a great frame. While riding at the park on Sunday I took a spin around the pump track on a 20" and loved it, so now I am thinking about a 20" instead but I haven't ruled out a 24".
    There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options for 24" similar to the liquid other than the Wave C. When it comes to 20" I don't even know where to start. I would prefer to build one up but a complete isn't out of the question. Any thoughts on 20" vs 24" would be helpful. Where should I start with 20" in terms of companies for frames or completes?
    If you're under 6' tall a 20" is more fun since they're easier to whip around. If over 6' then I think you're right on with Sunday Wave C or a 26". Sundays are dope geometrically speaking and get great reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Still on the fence about what to buy. I've been looking at the NS capital 24, looks like a fun ride for street/skate park.