Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 180 help

  1. #1
    Biker for Life
    Reputation: konaclump91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    140

    New question here. 180 help

    ok here is the problem.
    i try to 180 on flat can get 90 degrees. but also my back tire is alot higher in the air and whips around really far and makes it very uncfortable. i also always land on my front tire.
    then i try a 180 on a hill i get the full spin but again my back tire kicks way to far out and makes me fall ....any video clips or web-sites or tips to help me.
    i really want to learn to 180
    im rolling on a kona shred, maxxiz holy rollers, and a bontrager big earl crank set
    afk irl

  2. #2
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Try spotting your landing. Your bike will follow your head and shoulders through the rotation. you need to focus on spinning the front wheel, the back wheel has a tendency to follow it(like in a bunny hop).

  3. #3
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287
    All I can say is wip it around. I find if you "snap your front wheel to much you will not be able to land it very well.

    I am kinda like you, except I am trying to learn 360's but only make about 180.

    Here is a vid of me doing a 180 on flat...

    http://nashvillemountainbike.com/public/180Flat.mpg

  4. #4
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    All I can say is wip it around. I find if you "snap your front wheel to much you will not be able to land it very well.

    I am kinda like you, except I am trying to learn 360's but only make about 180.

    Here is a vid of me doing a 180 on flat...

    http://nashvillemountainbike.com/public/180Flat.mpg
    no offense bud but that is very very untrue. the faster you snap the front wheel, the fater you'll spin. part of the reason being that the motion required to snap it, moves your head, shoulders and hips into the rotation quickly. That is exactly what is required for a fast, tight spin. another thing that helps on 180's is to look at your landing as your approach it. by that, I mean, look ahead about 5-6", then snap your spin.

    as for 360's, its the same but guess what, snap that wheel even faster and as snaky said, keep your head turned and eyes spotting your landing.

    not trying to bust your stones man, but it really is all about the snap.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  5. #5
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287
    The snap I agree, but I see people turing the wheel to the left then right to create the snap I find to snap with the body works best, the turn back and forth thing makes the rotation kinda angle out rather than be flat..

    But hey you are not busing my stones, everyone goes about it in a diferent way :-)

  6. #6
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287
    Dup Sorry...

  7. #7
    USB Rep'n
    Reputation: namaSSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    The snap I agree, but I see people turing the wheel to the left then right to create the snap I find to snap with the body works best, the turn back and forth thing makes the rotation kinda angle out rather than be flat..

    But hey you are not busing my stones, everyone goes about it in a diferent way :-)
    I actually think we might agree more than disagree, just saying it in a diffferent way. Definitely don't turn into the rotation. Pull up snap bars, head and hips , get azz off the back, pedal backwards, snap bike back around and roll away.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

    betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaefod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    291
    I've notice when my friend does this move his front wheel is high in the air which seems to require less effort towards rotation.

  9. #9
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    All I can say is wip it around. I find if you "snap your front wheel to much you will not be able to land it very well.

    I am kinda like you, except I am trying to learn 360's but only make about 180.

    Here is a vid of me doing a 180 on flat...

    http://nashvillemountainbike.com/public/180Flat.mpg

    hmm, I'm not sure if it's just me, but in your video, all I see is you riding in a u-turn on the ground next to a small ledge... did you post the correct video?
    Schralp it Heavy.

  10. #10
    Only One Way
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    287

    I did

    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    hmm, I'm not sure if it's just me, but in your video, all I see is you riding in a u-turn on the ground next to a small ledge... did you post the correct video?
    But for some reason the server cuts out before the 180... I replaced it twice but to no better picture... sorry


    C

  11. #11
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Road
    But for some reason the server cuts out before the 180... I replaced it twice but to no better picture... sorry


    C

    I gotcha, no worries, just thought I'd let you know...
    Schralp it Heavy.

  12. #12
    Master of Beat
    Reputation: attomixt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    194
    thx for the vid gonna go practice some now

  13. #13
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Basic physics class, the smaller the object, the easier it will rotate as it's mass is closer to it's center of mass.

    By having the front wheel up higher, you're reducing the size of the circle your bike makes while rotating, so you rotate easier and faster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •