Yo!
    mtbr member

170 or 175mm crankarms?

I got my tax return today....very nice, I'll be upgrading a few critical components.

First off is my cranks.

I ride on '06 Identiti Dr. Jekyll, and right now it's got a set of 170mm, 32T Hussefelt's that currently have a bent spider. I've decided on the Race Face Evolve DH, the '08 model.

I'm thinking about changing up the ratio a bit. Give me your opinions on what would be a better setup for my scenario:

My Jekyll is currently setup SS with a 32/16 (2:1). I like this ratio, but I feel like it's a bit steep for my type of riding (alot of chugging/coasting/chugging/coasting). I set my bike up strictly for urban, running 24in hookworms. I kind of want a better ratio, so I'm thinking about going to a 36t. I was also thinking about going 175mm arms, but unfortunately, I have to make a decision, because the 36t only comes in 170mm.

In your guys experience, for street riding (and for additional speed), would you go with the 32t, 175mm, or the 36t, 170mm?

What kind of feel can you expect with a 170mm arm over a 175mm? Will it be more significant than changing drive ratios?

Next up is my rear brake. Running SS, I only have a rear, and I want to trash my dreadful Hayes 9. I have the opportunity to pick up a Magura Louise 160mm brand new for $50. I like the Juicy7 though because of the pad adjustment, but the cost is obviously a huge factor; I can expect to pay a $100 or more for the Juicy. Also keep in mind that my current setup is a 203mm, and the Magura cannot accept the coupler for a 203mm rotor, so I'd have to run the 160mm if I went that route. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would say get the crank arm length that suits you and make gearing adjustments by swapping rear cogs.

Make sure you can clear a 36t, I know some frames have chainstay clearance issues with front sprockets that large.

I think most people prefer a smaller front sprocket when possible for the extra ground clearance.

Can't comment on the brakes, I've only had mechanical.

Good luck.