mtbr member
    Nov 2014

'09ish Manitou Circus: Can't figure out how to screw in the damper in lowers

I bought a Norco DJ off CL and went to tighten everything down. Well, the 8mm allen head in the left lower is reverse threaded, and apparently I didn't tighten it enough. Pool of oil on the floor where I left it at home. I flipped the bike over, and then unscrewed it so I could put 16cc of oil back in... except the damper fell into the fork leg. I now spent an hour trying to find a way to get it to come back out. I can't find the manual and the 2012 manual I did find wasn't helpful (it just says to screw it back in after refilling).

Ideas?
    '09ish Manitou Circus: Can't figure out how to screw in the damper in lowers-manitoucircus.jpg

mtbr member
    Dump the air or remove the coil and compress the fork. That will push the rod closer to the screw to allow you to get it back in. And remember, on those forks, counter-clockwise to tighten.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No air to dump that I can find, obviously loosening the caps on the uppers leaked some oil (hmm, think just a few CC, I believe the capacity is quite a bit more than the lowers so 2cc probably doesn't matter) when upside down.

I ended up leaning hard on the wheel and maintaining the position of the wheel with a long adjustable clamp. Basically I'd compress the fork with my body, tighten the clamp. Take a breather and push one more time. when I got close (half inch), I used the adjustment of the clamp to close the remainder of the gap.

Seems all good now, but man what a PITA.