Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

05 Pike Race; Weaksauce?

I may be picking up an 05 Pike Race with X-Firm springs, Diety bars and stem for $250.

Looking around, some people give the older Pikes a bad word. Saying the Arches break and the crowns make hella noise.

At 220lbs (during the winter cough cough), I'm kind of hard on my stuff, and just starting to dirt jump, i'll be even harder.

Should I stay away, risk it, buy it with confidence, or spend a little bit more for something alot better?

Keep in mind, I'm a dual-duty guy. I ride XC/Freeride (stunts and drops) along with starting to dirt jump, so I like the ability to adjust travel.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I never heard anything negative about the 05 Pikes. As a matter of fact, I researched them extensively when they were introduced, and followed it closely when eyeing my build (ended up going with a whole bike, and I did spec a Pike, turned out to be an 06).
    It was the 2005 PIKE that brought RS out of the shitbox and back up to the big leagues in fork reputation. They didn't really change it going forward, and it is still a favorite.

FWIW, I would say the review section has become more negative because people like to praise products on the forum and only go out of their way to post in two places when they are not happy.

Oh, that sounds like a bargain FWIW!

Meh.
    Only the very first batch of Pike lowers had issues with cracking. Rockshox revised the lower design (filled in a small area of honeycombing) and provided those affected with the new lowers.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Are coil-only Pikes better for harder abuse situations than the dual-air versions?

I would think the air would be nice because you wouldn't need to buy extra springs, but alot of people prefer to the extra-firm coil setup.

Meh.
    Coil will require less maintenance in the long run, but air is easier to tune.