Megadeth
    Jul 2006

05 Marzocchi DJ III

So I picked up a 05 Marzocchi DJ III off eBay for $200 and I just got it, it looks sweet.

I won't be able to ride it for about a month because my bike is in Australia and Im in the US on holidays.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about the weight of it.
    Anyway question: Is this thing a boat anchor that wont let me bunnyhop or manual or are the people complaining about the weight just weight weenies. Im about 6ft tall and 150lbs.

Is this fork going to impair my ability to ride urban or will it be just fine?

Whats your opinion on this fork.

Portland, OR
    very tall and crappy dampening. also they weigh more than my 7" DC fork. it wont affect your ability too much, you'll have to get used to 2-4 pounds of more weight on the front of your bike.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by colourclassic
    So I picked up a 05 Marzocchi DJ III off eBay for $200 and I just got it, it looks sweet.

I won't be able to ride it for about a month because my bike is in Australia and Im in the US on holidays.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about the weight of it.
    Anyway question: Is this thing a boat anchor that wont let me bunnyhop or manual or are the people complaining about the weight just weight weenies. Im about 6ft tall and 150lbs.

Is this fork going to impair my ability to ride urban or will it be just fine?

Whats your opinion on this fork.
    Yes it is heavy. People that complain about it's dampening forget that this fork is meant for one hit wonders, not chatter bumps. Some top out, all those I tried don't.

You'll be able to ride just fine, you'll get used to the weight just like you get used to a new bike, and will end up not noticing it. Don't worry about it and just ride it. I don't think it'll impair your riding in any way.

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Yes it is heavy. People that complain about it's dampening forget that this fork is meant for one hit wonders, not chatter bumps. Some top out, all those I tried don't.

You'll be able to ride just fine, you'll get used to the weight just like you get used to a new bike, and will end up not noticing it. Don't worry about it and just ride it. I don't think it'll impair your riding in any way.
    Okay, awsome. Maybe while Im in the USA ill load up on twinkies and ding dongs so i can get some more weight over the back wheel when i need it.

I post too much.
    Okay, awsome. Maybe while Im in the USA ill load up on twinkies and ding dongs so i can get some more weight over the back wheel when i need it.
    It isn't all that bad IMO. I can manual a bike with one of those pretty easily. If you find it hard well, you'll just get stronger, which is always nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

What, they dont have Twinkies and Ding Dongs in Austrailia? WTF, that sucks.
    [Being a gynocologist] would be like having to eat ice cream every day, all day, no matter what the flavor was that was put in front of you, you gotta eat it... even if today's flavor is tuna fish and dog poop.

destructionismyobjective
    The fork sucks ass. I got suckered in and bought one. Its about as long as a dual crown about as heavy as one and to top it off its ugly. I decided to stick with my entry level stance.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider
    The fork sucks ass. I got suckered in and bought one. Its about as long as a dual crown about as heavy as one and to top it off its ugly. I decided to stick with my entry level stance.
    Did you ride at all or did you just put it on your bike, I can't remember.

mtbr member
    twinkies are GOOD.... but biking is better!
    jea.

destructionismyobjective
    I rode it around the block. The fork actually didnt feel bad but my bike was raked out like a orange county chopper. If It was 65 or 80 mm fork and lost about 3-4 bs it would be nice. May work on a different bike but not mine. I hate the way the crown on marzs puts the stanhions in front of the head tube, its ugly. And if anything my bike needs to lose a few lbs not gain em. I like my stance scince I made the mods to it. I just wish I coulda figured that out b4 I spent the money on the dj3. I think the manitou forks have the smoothes tlook to em with the reverse arc. Not that looks matter that much.

I post too much.
    I have an '06 I'm selling if my friend backs out, those were lightened quite a bit haha! :P

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider
    I rode it around the block. The fork actually didnt feel bad but my bike was raked out like a orange county chopper. If It was 65 or 80 mm fork and lost about 3-4 bs it would be nice. May work on a different bike but not mine. I hate the way the crown on marzs puts the stanhions in front of the head tube, its ugly. And if anything my bike needs to lose a few lbs not gain em. I like my stance scince I made the mods to it. I just wish I coulda figured that out b4 I spent the money on the dj3. I think the manitou forks have the smoothes tlook to em with the reverse arc. Not that looks matter that much.
    What bike are you riding? The reason I went for the fork is because of the great reviews on mtbr. The manitou stance didn't have such great reviews; too soft and horrible seals. Not that I have anything against it, i just picked something that had a good overall rating.

Also, my bike is pretty much stripped, it's a SS, no front brake, alloy frame so the extra weight shouldn't hurt should it?

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    One thing I don't understand is why everyone *****es about them being heavy, but then say it won't affect your riding ability?

resident dumbass
    because they'll feel really heavy at first but then you'll get used to them . . .

probably.

I wouldn't know, I've got a 2003 DJ 2. Too bad I wasn't able to reduce it, cause then it would really be the sh!t.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    I have lowered forks before, maybe I will get a Nemesis kinda thing going on with it...

I post too much.
    I have lowered forks before, maybe I will get a Nemesis kinda thing going on with it...
    Why not?

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    I've a '05 DJ1 that I'm fine with. Remember, "heavy" is relative. For what I use it for, this fork is fine.

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    I ride technical street BTW, not huge drops..

mtbr remember
    you spend $200 on ebay for something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nemesis-Slammed-...QQcmdZViewItem
    sorry to rub it in...

too bad I don't have a round in my pocket, nor a bike that needs a fork at the moment.... got a short steerer too.

yeah, colourclassic, these same people that ***** about it being so heavy are usually the same people that turn around when you mention weight and say, "what does it matter, are you an xc weight weenie counting grams?" but I won't deny either, that fork you just bought is seriously near being one of the heaviest single crown forks, and tall too, but if you said you've lowered some in the past, I'd get on that and at least make it rideable.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Megadeth
    Jul 2006
    Yea, I saw that nemesis, but the steerer was way short.

I'll either lower this or sell it and dump my mtb for a 24" cruiser, I can't afford anything more expensive than this fork, not now anyway.

If I decide to slam it, I'll put up a tutorial here so others can do the same.