mtbr member
    Jul 2006

'04 Haro Escape 8.* for Urban/Park?

Hi y'all I was just wondering what your opinion is on using an '04 Haro Escape 8.* as a Urban/park ride? It's the one with the hydroform TT and DT....I know it's known as a heavy bike, but then again I'm not the smoothest rider and it will get some abuse....It's my first bike I bought for tossing around in the parks and in the city, but was wondering if the geometry is OK for what I'm trying to do? I can get the bike up and down things, bombing around town...but when it comes to the slower more intricate stuff liek manualing and wheelies...It seems like the bike is fighting back....It's components are not the original from the 8.3:
    -'04 Haro Escape 8.* I
    -Avid BB7
    -Rear AlexRims DM18 - I think I slightly bent these. Are they known to be weak rims? There's a no-name hub on there and 9spd cogs(was told they were road cogs)
    -Rear XT deraileur - LX shifter
    -Front SunRims Rhyno Lite (6000 series) w/ Ringle hub
    -FSA V-Drive Mega Exo cranks
    -Kona Project 2 fork
    -Easton EA70 Bars
    -Shimano 38T chain ring w/ E13 bash guard

I just don't wanan put anymore money into components(i.e. going SS) if the frame geometery is my problem....Thanks for any info and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i ride the 04 8.3 and it's a ****in beast
    i love it to death

SamIAm
    um i used to own an 05 8.3 and it was an amazing jack-of-all-trades bike, i could hit djs, huck off of 12 footers, ride to work, xc rides, everything.

but if u just want a urban bike get a zero frame. i got one of those and its so much better for street. the tt is so much lower its like a big bmx bike. i love it for street/urban/park/dj
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah cool...I was gonna post an inquiry about the zero frame. Looks much more urban/park friendly with the lower TT.....I haven't seen one for sale or I would've pick it up and transfered over the parts from my '04 Escape...Thanks! Maybe I'll find one over the winter and do a build for the summer....Just found out they are called Threads now....
    Last edited by Styme001; 11-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.

SamIAm
    well they are basically threads. it seems haro made the 8. series and the zero into one frame....basically the tt looks to be inbetween the 8. and zero.

but the zero is a really nice frame.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    there's a super cheap 8.3 frame for sell on ebay....guy from my lbs has it up
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    well they are basically threads. it seems haro made the 8. series and the zero into one frame....basically the tt looks to be inbetween the 8. and zero.

but the zero is a really nice frame.

Yeah it does look like a mixed btwn the zero and Escape 8.*....Oh I forgot about the adjustable horizontal dropouts...SWEET!!!! If I find just a Zero/Thread frame..Im ight have an 8.* frame for sale this spring

SamIAm
    yeah the only gripe i have about the zero frame is that i kinda wanted to put some v brakes on it, but there are no mounts. other than that its amazing tho.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>