Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

$850 for new eastern nighttrain on jensen

Purple saves $50! thats a great price, you'd never be able to build a brand new dj cheaper than that with the same quality.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Bike+09.aspx

I have an 07. solid bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone know the geometry? I couldnt find it on their site, odd...

They claim sub 30lb, do you know if that claim is true with yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801

Not sure on the exact frame spec but everyone that I have talked to say the frame / bike feels more like a BMX 24" bike - TT angle to seat tube is sharper / lower slung.

Was about to get one but ended up getting a Haro 1.3 after I was able to ride a previous year model firsthand to see the fit of it.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    my thunderbird is 32-ish and the shock and handle bars are super heavy. sub 30 on a night train is legit.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801

I think mine for an 07 was quoted at 31.5, I've never weighed it but it seems about right to me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sub 30lbs, decent cranks, and an Argyle....all for less than $900... sweet deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ^^^AGREED

Im also a fan of purple

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    this might be a lil off topic but which do you think is a better bike?

09 black market 357 complete

or

09 eastern night train complete?

cant decide on which to get..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I like the eastern way more!

The deal Jenson running is amazing plus the Argyle 318 is leaps and bounds greater than a DJ3 fork. Also an Argyle 318 will cost you $350 which is the cheapest I've found brand new.

Meh.
    Yeah, if they're the same price, I think the better fork on the NT makes me lean more towards it. I haven't ridden the NT, but the geo on the 357 is very nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanx guys.
    the reason why, i asked was cuz i can get the 357 for $600
    and the NT for $850.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got the Eastern thunderbird....brought the Jenson ad into my local bike shop and got it for $750? honestly I cant remember exactly...Paid a little more then what Jenson had it for, but I like to support local shops...plus no shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222
    I got the Eastern thunderbird....brought the Jenson ad into my local bike shop and got it for $750? honestly I cant remember exactly...Paid a little more then what Jenson had it for, but I like to support local shops...plus no shipping.
    Wow, I've never heard of local shops doing that. The owner of the one I worked for probably would have laughed in your face and kicked you out of the store.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    wow sounds like a nice guy....not!!! its a buyers market, the company I work for price matches like crazy....its what you have to do to drum up business....just how it is right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just order my self one of these babies last night and should be comin in next week. Can't wait!

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    yiew just ordered one

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bought one from jenson too and i can't stop riding it. I changed the chain ring and chain out. The bike definitely has a smaller compartment. Depending on your height, it may be a little difficult to pedal while sitting. I highly recommend picking one up.
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.
    Morewood Bikes USA, 661, SDG, Sunline, SPY Optics, TLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by E86
    I bought one from jenson too and i can't stop riding it. I changed the chain ring and chain out. The bike definitely has a smaller compartment. Depending on your height, it may be a little difficult to pedal while sitting. I highly recommend picking one up.
    I bought a Eastern Thunderbird from Jenson a few months ago. Its basically the same as the Nighttrain with a much cheaper fork. I love the bike but I think I should have spent the extra for the Nighttrain to get the Argyle fork although I haven't had any problems with the RST Space. I have a set of Juicy 3's that I might throw on when I get around to it. By the way, why did you change the chainring and chain and what did you replace them with?

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 25T/9T combo was too easy to pedal. I am used to a 36T/ with a 11/26 cassette. I put an Animal 30T sprocket and a Shadow Conspiracy Interlok chain. Other than that the bike is awesome. I would definitely recommend one to anyone
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E86
    The 25T/9T combo was too easy to pedal. I am used to a 36T/ with a 11/26 cassette. I put an Animal 30T sprocket and a Shadow Conspiracy Interlok chain. Other than that the bike is awesome. I would definitely recommend one to anyone
    either you're talking about a 20" wheel Eastern, or you've got that gear ratio wrong. 25-9 is typical on a 20". but that same ratio does not work the same for bigger wheel bikes. you have to multiply wheel diameter as part of the formula. 25/9 X 20 = 55.5 gear inches.

55 is the magic gear inches number you should be shooting for if you want an "all-around" single speed. it's the classic bmx gear (44/16 X 20 =55).

but with 26" wheels, 25/12 X 26 = 54 gear inches. close to the same but slightly spinnier. the lower the gear inches number, the spinnier it is....

if you were running 9 in the back on a 26, you'd want only a 19 or 20t sprocket up front.

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 25T sprocket and 9T rear gear is what is provided by Eastern. It is way too easy to pedal for me, so that is why I went with the 30/9. I normally ride my 4X bike with a 36T/ 11-26 cassette. I guess to each there own. Thanks for the gear lesson.
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Thunderbird came with 25/12 gearing. The problem with my bike is the chain is tight and then you rotate the pedals 180 degrees the chain is loose. Probably the chainring is out of round so I think I'll change it and go up a couple of teeth while I'm at it.
    Last edited by ragman; 11-28-2009 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member

http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=eastern

they are still available !

mtbr member
    For those of you that are riding these, what kind of parts spec would you rate these at? Are the parts any good, have you upgraded anything? The other question is how is the construction of the frame, the reason I ask is where the top tube and down tube meet the headtube looks like that would be a weak point on the frame as this part of the frame gets alot of stress from jumping, many other DJ bikes have braces between this area to strengthen the frame. I am interested in purchasing one at this price but am concerned about the above questions before I hit the buy button. Thanks for your feedback.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

ultra member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbiker
    For those of you that are riding these, what kind of parts spec would you rate these at? Are the parts any good, have you upgraded anything? The other question is how is the construction of the frame, the reason I ask is where the top tube and down tube meet the headtube looks like that would be a weak point on the frame as this part of the frame gets alot of stress from jumping, many other DJ bikes have braces between this area to strengthen the frame. I am interested in purchasing one at this price but am concerned about the above questions before I hit the buy button. Thanks for your feedback.
    The brakes absolutely suck, have no modulation and should be replaced (I am switching to Formula RX's) but other than that all the components are pretty solid in terms of durability. The rims and spokes are indestructible as far as I can tell and the fork is wonderful. The only bad thing I have heard is that the bars weigh quite a bit, but I have not yet weighed them myself. By the way, that was for the nighttrain not the thunderbird.
    Last edited by briantortilla; 12-06-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast