mtbr member
    May 2008

$.50 away from a new ride

Have you ever had a star nut come between you and your custom build's first ride??? If not, I tell you it sucks. My main LBS didn't have the correct size on hand. Regardless, all the LBS's are closed and all I need is a star nut to fit the hollow bolt and then I'm golden... Very bummed but tomorrow will be a better day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    whats twentyfour hours when you have to rest of your life enjoy your bike

mtbr member
    I was about to ask what the hell kinda startnut you need if your LBS didnt have it... makes sense now

Meh.
    You could just use a threaded dowel, a couple washers, and a a couple nuts to preload the bearings for now. Then remove it after it's preloaded.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You could just use a threaded dowel, a couple washers, and a a couple nuts to preload the bearings for now. Then remove it after it's preloaded.
    I know a couple guys who use this method and NEVER run a star nut...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I know a couple guys who use this method and NEVER run a star nut...
    I don't run a star nut either.

mtbr member
    The only slight issue I have with that is the "what if" of your stem-bolts SOMEHOW loosening up... at least THEN the star nut would keep the fork from completely falling off the bike off a jump, etc. But the chances of that happening are rare..

Meh.
    The star nut will pull out if you crank down on the bolt too much. I don't think it'll do much to keep your front end together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    The only slight issue I have with that is the "what if" of your stem-bolts SOMEHOW loosening up... at least THEN the star nut would keep the fork from completely falling off the bike off a jump, etc. But the chances of that happening are rare..
    Look at it this way... if your stem bolts loosen up then your bars or wheel will turn as you hit the face of the jump and then you'll face plant into the jump and not have to worry about the forks dropping out in the air!

As for the OP's lil' query...yes, I have been in the same situation and it does indeed BITE!
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    i just used a G clamp before when i didnt have a star nut. worked well except for the fact that i also didnt have enough headset spacers! DOH! epic fail. so i had to wait the next day anyway. i could have cut the steerer tube a bit more really, but i wanted to play a bit with the handlebar height. found out i like it how it is so its a good job i didnt cut the steerer tube anymore
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I can't imagine a situation where one would use enough torque to pull a starnut out... Although, when I did fianlly get one, the stem bolt went in about half way and then the threads seperated from the nut and just spun freeley. First time I've ever seen that happen... I haven't had to pull a star nut out in years and it was a b!tch.

Meh.
    I've seen plenty of star nuts slip. I completely removed mine from my fork by using a few extra spacers a top cap and a bolt. I just threaded the bolt until it pulled all the way out.