Powered by ice cream.

Zoch set up advice

Seems like lots of you are on Zoch's and I wanted to discuss how you are setting them up.

I have a new Z1 150 mm fork and am new to the longish travel thing.

I set the spring up with proper Sag (30%), but have run the compression and rebound adjusters wide open. In my general riding, it is buttery plush, does tend to dive a bit under braking. I will bottom out several times per ride, but the bottoming is imperceptable..I only know it bottomed because of where the zip tie ends up.

The question is: Should I be doing something with these fancy compression and rebound adjusters. I'm not launching off anything big, I basically need the fork to take rapid hits, keep the wheel in contact with the ground, and keep me comfortably in control.

Seems like increasing rebound would affect the forks ability to respond quickly to a hit. I can see the need if you just fell 15 feet and didn't want to get bucked off, but for what I ride? Am I wrong here? I guess you could increase it some to prevent the wheel from bouncing upward after an impact.

Also seems to me that increasing compression just leads to a harsher ride with the benefit of not as much dive when going off slow obstacles or under braking. Maybe increased compression would allow one to run a softer spring and still control bottom out.

After messing around with it a bit just now, I am going to try about 15 clicks of rebound (going in from full open), and 7 clicks of compression (again from full open). I picked these settings by just going over a curb again and again, increasing rebound until it didn't "buck" after the hit, and compression so it just slowed things down a tad without getting too harsh. I noticed that the fork was harder to bottom with the increased compression as well. These settings have yet to be trail tested.

Anyway: How do you go about setting and selecting your compression and rebound for your fork?

I'm not even going to go in to oil level/weight adjustment at this time

banned
    I have a z1 light. Rebound is between full open and 3 clicks away. Compression two clicks. I use a blend of oil that is less than 7.5 wt, but not 5. Somewhere in the middle.

Air is set around 42 psi. It's a tad low, but allows more suppleness, then I balance it with the clicks of compression.

Your best bet is getting advice on this exact fork.

... I guess you won't be
    for general xc type stuff, you want your fork to rebound somewhat quickly, so it doesn't stay in it's compressed state on all those little xc type bumps.....keep your compression in the middle and try letting the fork rebound quicker w/ less rebound damping.....

If you spring rate is set correctly [psi or coil] the compression damping setting is less important than proper rebound setting. But, it sounds like you are dialing in your fork using the curb test - this is only good for ballparking spring rate, since you won't really know if your fork is not rebounding fast enough since you aren't hitting another bump afterwards....

then again, just set the sag, put the settings in the middle and just ride the dang thing....

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I have a new Z1 150 mm fork and am new to the longish travel thing

Anyway: How do you go about setting and selecting your compression and rebound for your fork?
    You've got the right idea. The nice thing about external rebound adjustment is that you can change it easily on the fly. I have an MX Comp fork on an old bike that has a little swizzle stick that you have to adjust the rebound with after decompressing the fork and pulling the cap. What I like about external adjustment is that you can stop the "chatter" of the fork on washboard, and still keep it active enough to not pack down. I just change it slowly while riding until I don't hear a chatter.

If the fork is diving, you might want to think about adjusting your sag to 25% (37mm) and turning up the compression damping. The compression adjustment is going to work a bit like the pro pedal settings on a Fox rear shock. It'll keep things from bobbing too much.

Basically, it's all trial and error and it takes awhile to get everything dialed in right. You've got a good start, but you'll need to test different settings on the trail, and not just the curb.