Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DGC
    mtbr member

your tire choices

Seems I have waaaay too many tires in the garage, about a 5 foot tall pile, and it needs to possibly get bigger for 2006. Sooooo.......what are your tire choices going to be, running the 5 Spot.
    I've run the Nev's with tubes, but has anyone had bad luck running the Nevegals 2.35 regular but set up tubeless? I'm not a fan of running a tubed tire set up tubeless, but just curious what everyone plans are for tire use for the coming summer.

Bodhisattva
    I've run the Kendas tubeless but it's a major PITA to get it right. There's a ribbed ribbon on the inside of the tire bead that makes proper sealing very difficult.

Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 front/Nevegal either 2.35 or 2.1 rear is my standard although I've been running the Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 in gooey rubber recently in the rear & really digging it.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Too Much Fun

I'm thinking Nokian...

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    I'm not a fan of running a tubed tire set up tubeless, but just curious what everyone plans are for tire use for the coming summer.
    The NCX I think it is.. 2.35. With the silica compound. Its supposed to be supple but rolls well.
    - -benja- -

... I guess you won't be
    geax sturdy's, STFU!
    or barro mountain for those light flow dayz!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

No, that's not phonetic
    Neve 2.35 or Nokian Core 2.3 front. Various tires in back including Nokian Core 2.3, Maxxis Mobster 2.35, Geax Sturdy 2.25, and whatever else my 5' tire pile serves up.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Now with flavor!!
    Look DGC. I live where it's dusty. You have no idea. I mean like powder. I'm sure you can'te even imagine........rocks too. I mean if you rode the same kind of terrain I do, I might have some advice for you ......but it's obviously completely foreign.

My suprise find last year was that IRC mibro thing for a front tire. The 2.25 (2.24?) tubeless one. It done me right. It's got the nice open channel like a maxxis dh tire so you can shove it into a turn real good like and expect it to find the good hooky in the same place every time.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Bite Me.
    Tubeless blows. Geax Sturdy 2.25, Spec Enduro S-Works 2.2, Conti Vertical Protec 2.3 (really more like 2.1s) for those high speed buff single track days.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Tubeless blows. Geax Sturdy 2.25, Spec Enduro S-Works 2.2, Conti Vertical Protec 2.3 (really more like 2.1s) for those high speed buff single track days.
    I've been wanting to run my neve 2.35 stick-E tubetype on a tubeless rim but that is such a PITA that I gave up, I run it with a tube which makes it easier to swap with a UST tire.

Combo is as such
    XC racing Larsen TT LUST and Big jim
    trail: Neve Stick-E 2.35 and Specialized Enduro pro 2.4 2bliss
    DH/shuttle Michelin comp 16/24 2.2
    I wish I could buy more.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Bodhisattva
    Also,

saw the new Hutch Barracuda UST 2.3 at the shop yesterday. Weighed 940gm. Nice aggressive tread similar to a sturdy. Will be trying these tubeless as soon as the DT 5.1 rim strips become available.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Now with flavor!!
    Tubeless blows. .

Sweet.

Mail me all the tubeless tires you've tried and given up on.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Team Sanchez
    I run a 2.5 Kenda Nevegal up front in the single ply variety, and a 2.35 Nevegal single ply in the rear. For the Moab trips, I usually run a dual ply maxxis tire in the rear, but this year it will be the new Specialized Chunder.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Sweet.

Mail me all the tubeless tires you've tried and given up on.
    You wouldn't want 'em - the sidewalls are all ripped to shreds, besides the shipping cost would be outrageous due to all that extra weight
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Toby Wong?
    f: WTB Weirwolf 2.4 or WTB Motoraptor 2.4 (depending on dust levels - moto for dust/late season blown out corners)

r: Geax Barro Mountain 2.3 sticky rub UST or Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST for more burl
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

Now with flavor!!
    You wouldn't want 'em - the sidewalls are all ripped to shreds, besides the shipping cost would be outrageous due to all that extra weight
    Yeah I've got a pile of tubeless tires I tried on my dh and fr bikes and had to give up on it. WAY too many ripped up tires. It took me hours to clean all the latex off my uzzi after about 5 tire tears at downieville one day.

I dig em on my xc bike though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Kenda Nev 2.35, BG 2.35, Panaracer Fire FR 2.4, with the occasional Fire XC 2.1 on back for going fast. A mix of tubeless sometimes, tube other times. No problems at all running these tubeless. The initial sealing of the Kendas is challenging, and Panaracers seal up easier than you could imagine.

The Fire FR is a slow tire, but up front it doesn't matter as much, and it really sticks like glue.

Keep meaning to try the Geax Sturdy, but haven't gotten around to it.

mtbr member
    edit double post
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Kenda nevegal 2.1 F & R here, running on stans olympic rims in the tubeless configuration. I anticipated having issues, but zero problems for the first couple of months now. Only situation I came across is that if I leave the bike sitting on the ground in storage the tires lose pressure. If I keep the bike in the stand, teres not touching, they keep full pressure......

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    I've been running the Nev 2.1 UST on my XCE. They seem to hold really well on Socal "dirt," they go on the rim easily with a floor pump, and they're nearly as wide as the 2.35 minions i was running before (sounds like you might be looking for a wider tire though). Also, they're pretty cheap a Jenson....$33 I think?

I did blow up a brand new rear tire on pretty benign terrain but wrote it off as a freak event and replaced it with the same tire. I'm still concerned that it could happen again and that the sticky rubber is going to wear quickly. Overall though, pretty satisfied.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    The Fire FR is a slow tire, but up front it doesn't matter as much, and it really sticks like glue.
    I agree, great traction in the rocks but a bit too knobby for the rear, sometimes a little loose in our scree we have here. What psi do you run in yours?

PSI
    I want that one
    even though bontragers have a bad rep ive been running big earl 2.5 front and earl 2.4 rear with ghetto tubeless + stans sealant for the last 6 months on my spot.

these tires flat out rock imo. great traction, very low rolling resistance, very reliable in sharp rocky conditions and very slow wearing.

the only minus is other riders condescending remarks

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I agree, great traction in the rocks but a bit too knobby for the rear, sometimes a little loose in our scree we have here. What psi do you run in yours?

I cut off all the knurled knobs just off center of one of mine to open up a channel to access the sideknobs a little better. It made a world of difference. I highly reccomend it if you have a set.

Hisforever
    A good set of tires makes a happy rider!

It seems like most enjoy the Tomac tires. been runnin a 2.5 BG in front, w/2.35 Nevy in the rear. Slow rollin but strong holdin.

One tire to try is the WTB Timberwolf. Huge Knobs with a concave sphere hollowed on top. These look mean. DGC, thought I saw one of these on the spot posted a while ago?likee?
    Shwalbe Fat Alberts. 'light version' worked well on hardpack, but schwinked on anything loose. 2.35&2.25.

My latest tire purchase was a set of Minions. As said here before the 2.35's are pretty narrow. More like a 2.2 or 2.1. but they hook up! DHF in front DHR in the rear. Has anyone tried the DHR in the front? go well? Just wondering because somehow I ended up with 3 rears instead of a matching front and rear. Beware: Beyond Bikes Wanks.

Oh yeah, the Michelin tires are solid too. 2.8 DH comp rails everything, The DH 2.4 Comp in the rear is pretty good so far. DH----Tubeless.
    Jesus Saves

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Has anyone tried the DHR in the front? go well? .

Don't do it. That tire is made to turn on. Note the flat top knobs. It's also made to drift to a point before the angle where the sideknobs contact. It's most definitely the most well designed REAR tire out there. You'll end up on your face regularly. I promise. Since that was the only tubeless dh tire maxxis made for a while, a bunch of people ran them front and rear. They suck as a front tire.

Flyin Canine
    If it's hardpack I run BG front and rear. If it's loose I throw the nevegal on the rear. dh tire if there's rocks around, otherwise the kevlar bead/trail version to save lots of weight. This is on my RFX

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    A good set of tires makes a happy rider!
    except when they are packed with mud, or flat...
    wheres my tube?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast