Mexican e-rider

Your dream wheels

Hey everyone, I'm off sick today and have a lot of time on my hands, which is really bad for UGI! I was thinking that my XT-Mavic 819 wheelset weighs in at around 2 kilos (4.5 pounds) without tires, and while its a bomb proof combination I think I can do better weight and bling wise.

So for your riding style, wheight and blingage, and if money was no object, what would be your dream wheelset? I would love to hear what develops here.

Thanks

Mada
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

Now with flavor!!
    Mavic wheels with a different hub/engagement system.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

"El Whatever"
    Black Hadleys 108 pts of engagement, DT Supercomps with Alloy nipples, DT 4.1D with Stan's

Have you checked industry Nine wheels??

Heal soon... you've been avoiding riding with us lately and we do not miss you but it would be nice to ride with you again!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

tough choice

$$$ no object:
    Polished silver King hubs, black DT Comp spokes, silver alloy nips., DT 5.1s with the tubeless conversion.

My current choice:
    Black Hadleys, Mavic 819s, black DT Comp spokes, red, silver and blue alloy nips. Very pleased with these.

mtbr member
    for my riding style right now:

XTR hubs
    DT supercomps, 3x in rear, 2x in front.
    brass nipples
    DT 4.1s

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Industry Nine, Stan's, Spinergy, FSA, DT Swiss, Bontrager... I think there are a lot of good options to build a light, strong and durable wheelset, BUT...

Nothing beats the looks of the Mavic Crossmax SL (oh, and these are light, strong and durable, too).

MK_
    carpe maņana
    King rear with fun bolts and aluminum cassette carier.
    DT 440FR 20mm front.
    Either, DT EX5.1d (500g, 28mm wide) or Alex FD28 (490g, 28mm wide) or Salsa Delgado (450g, 29mm wide).
    Sapim CX Rays (silver a hair lighter than black).

I have a set of King hubs, fun bolts on the rear, aluminum carrier, 20mm front, FD28 rims, CX-Ray spokes, total weight front and read, 1785g.

DT440 runs with lots less drag up front. I wouldn't give up King's engagement for anything. I know Hope Bulb spins very free as well.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bike to the Bone...
    After a long and tiring consideration on this very important topic, I've come up with my conclusion that I would prefer round wheels overall....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    So for your riding style, wheight and blingage, and if money was no object, what would be your dream wheelset?
    King ISO hubs: addicted to the instant ingagment; light and durable too

Sapim CX-RAY spokes: love the bladed look; pretty stout for being some of the lightest spokes in existance

Stan's Olympic rims for XC: super light, especially when used tubeless with tape only (no strips); practically make your bike float; low unsprung weight makes your suspension more responsive too

Mavic 819 rims for trail riding: very durable, if not particularly wide; have worked well for me running standard tires tubeless using only sealant (no strips)

If I were building an utterly impractical bike I wouldn't mind trying the I9's. It hasn't been long enough since the '90s to get too excited over most annodized colors, but the copper ones sure look sharp. As long as we're talking about non-standardized components I think they would go nicely with a DUC32 in the hard annodized color.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

a tight kick sound
    I love my wheels. Larry at MTN high does a GREAT job!!!
    Mavic 729s, black DT spokes, black alloy nipples, Blue hadley hubs with 108 pnt engagment. Hub engages even before you step on the pedal JK

I ride realy rough stuff all the time. Whether these wheels are on my XC bike with light tires and tubes or on my DH/FR bike with heavy tires and tubes they rock. Very stiff, rolls well and can take some massive abuse!

BTW, I know most people don't run this type of wheel on an AM bike but man, when you really get pushing that sucker through the rocks, it is so nice to not think about the wheels and have them help the stiffness of the front end!

anyway, that is what I am down with. I gotta rock these because I cannot afford two set-ups. One was enough to do me in

Good luck and get better

Booner

Outcast
    Money no object? Spinners. Best bling bang for the buck! Nothin says pimp my ride like some custom hoops.

PSI
    I want that one
    Black Hope Pro 2 rear and Bulb 20mm front hubs, black DT 1.8/2.0 spokes, DT 5.1 rims... no wait, that's the wheel set I just ordered today!!! Ha! Ha!. Damn, shopping is fun.

Turner Homer
    Blue king iso hubs, mated to a mavic 717xc rim set, attached with wheel smith double butted spokes. No wait that is the wheelset I already own. The I9's would also be sweet to own.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sadly I've owned a King rear hub for years so any other bike I get on I always notice the slow engagement of whatever it has on it. I currently have a Hadley hub on my DH bike and had a Hope bulb on a hardtail and they are awful in comparison. Of course I've ridden Shimanos of all types along with many others and they just don't come close to the King. I tend to rachet pedal over obstacales and that quick engagement is priceless.

So currently,
    King ISO rear
    King front ISO
    EX 823 Disc
    DT 14/15 spokes - black
    brass nipples - black

I just wish King made 150mm rear hubs.

Mexican e-rider
    Wow! I dont think I could get away with the Spinners unless I pimped up the rest of my ride and started wearing fluorecent lycra again!

I think I will probably keep my 819 but build them with some decent hubs, the American Classic sound yummy but the bling factor is very low (no ano colors). If only Kings were not so expensive... Hopes Pro II look good though!

mtbr member

I just ordered mine

My current wheels which have been excellent and bombproof, but a bit heavy for racing:
    Chris King ISO (blue)
    Mavic 3.1 ust rims
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes (black)
    Blue alloy nipples
    wheelset weight is somewhere around 1850 grams if I recall.

I just ordered today in fact a new race wheelset from Troy at Ligero Wheels
    Tune King/Kong disc wheels (blue with Ti freehub)
    Stans Olympic ZTR 350 disc rims
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes (silver)
    Alloy nipples (silver)
    wheelset weight should come in right around 1450 grams

KMan

Mexican e-rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I just ordered today in fact a new race wheelset from Troy at Ligero Wheels
    Tune King/Kong disc wheels (blue with Ti freehub) Stans Olympic ZTR 350 disc rims
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes (silver) Alloy nipples (silver)wheelset weight should come in right around 1450 grams KMan
    Wow, will you be using these on your Flux?

mtbr member

Yup.

Going on the Flux. I was hoping to get the weight down to just at 23lbs with these new wheels and fork, but the Reba Team I have ended up weighing the exact same as my Fox 100x. I like the terralogic so I'm keeping the Fox. Thinking I will be around 23 1/4lbs.

KMan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Wow, will you be using these on your Flux?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Kman - Sending you a PM..

My current wheels have also been bomb-proof - DT 4.1 rims, supercomps, alloy nips and King Pewter hubs. A coule of flat spots on the rim, but they have stayed dead straight since i got them 18months ago (Larry is an awesome wheel builder).

For racing - I'd love to get a set just like Kman's new wheels, but go with DT 240s or Kings again.

I'm dreaming of a play/trail bike lately (think 6 pack), and for that i'd go with DT 5.1 rims, supercomp or CXray spokes (you did say dream wheels..), allloy nips and either King hubs with fun bolts or Hadley.

mtbr member
    I will get mine next week:
    CK hubs, SApim Xray and 4.1 with the DT flap to mount tubless tires (or rather tubetype with some sealent).
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!