mtbr member

You ever feel thankful you're on a Turner?

I have been all week. I don't mean in an arrogant way, I mean in a "Thank God, I have a Turner because I just want to ride." way.
    Yesterday, we did a 17 mile trail ride with a group of 6. We had to stop 4 times, because
    of 2 guys. One guy on a Blur, his pivots crapped the bed. His upper linkage had more play than a lab puppy. He looked sad, when he said the bike was pratically new.
    Another guy on a Rocky Mountain 4 inch bike had even bigger issues. You could take his crank and watch the whole swingarm wiggle around in the main pivot. This one was really bad, and his bolts were tight. So, he is screwed.
    So, this got me thinking, I rode my XCE for two years, and I never even had to tighten a bolt. When I sold it, the frame had no play anywhere on it, and felt like new.
    And of course, so far, I have not touched my 5-spot.
    I have also had 3 different model DHR's, and the only thing I have done to them is make sure the main pivot stays tight. And on the '04, I think they have fixed it where it will not even loosen up (It has not since December when I got it.).
    I did not post this to say anything negative about other companies. For all I know, the problems above could have been prevented with a little care, but it is nice to not have to worry about it and just ride.
    Have you hugged your Turner today?
    SEI Racing

mtbr member

Every GD day..

...was just lamenting the other day that my RFX is more reliable than my freakin' rigid SS. I know, makes no sense. Never a hint of pivot slop and my 8-spd drivetrain keeps on tickin'.

One cornhole who shows up for our rides just got a Yeti 575. Neat bike, but he ain't tiny and I'm waiting (relishing) the moment when those silly CF "pivots" fail. All that scratch for a band-aid solution IMHO.

I digress.

Turner's rule and my mom can beat up any non-Turner owner's dad.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    This was one of the primary reasons I bought a Turner. I didn't want to have to worry about down time for the bike. Frankly, with the little time I get to ride, I want to spend it on the bike, not working on the bike.

I second the 8 speed. My hardtail with 8 speed shifts so much better than my 9 speed stuff. I am going to try SRAM to see if it helps. Maybe with the new trigger shifters for 2005, Shimano could come out with a new improved system that has 8 speed!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    I have been all week. I don't mean in an arrogant way, I mean in a "Thank God, I have a Turner because I just want to ride." way.
    Yesterday, we did a 17 mile trail ride with a group of 6. We had to stop 4 times, because
    of 2 guys. One guy on a Blur, his pivots crapped the bed. His upper linkage had more play than a lab puppy. He looked sad, when he said the bike was pratically new.
    Another guy on a Rocky Mountain 4 inch bike had even bigger issues. You could take his crank and watch the whole swingarm wiggle around in the main pivot. This one was really bad, and his bolts were tight. So, he is screwed.
    So, this got me thinking, I rode my XCE for two years, and I never even had to tighten a bolt. When I sold it, the frame had no play anywhere on it, and felt like new.
    And of course, so far, I have not touched my 5-spot.
    I have also had 3 different model DHR's, and the only thing I have done to them is make sure the main pivot stays tight. And on the '04, I think they have fixed it where it will not even loosen up (It has not since December when I got it.).
    I did not post this to say anything negative about other companies. For all I know, the problems above could have been prevented with a little care, but it is nice to not have to worry about it and just ride.
    Have you hugged your Turner today?
    I feel thankful for many things. Even though I am extremely happy with my Turner, I wouldn't use the term "thankful" the way you describe it.

I reserve being truely thankful for the blessings of health, family and friends........not material items.....not even a Turner

I know you probably meant your post to be a simple pro Turner post, but quite frankly I find it insulting. Many of us have much to be thankful for, but to include material items is just plain wrong. Have you ever had any family come down with cancer, or get in a horrible accident? Curing cancer, surviving a horrible accident, the blessings of family and friends ....these are the items I reserve to be "thankful for".

It's a bike. It's not the doctor putting your newborn baby girl in your arms.

Get on your bike and ride.....and feel "thankful" for the blessings all around you in nature and the fact that you have the health and and ability to ride and experience such beauty.

Still chuggin' along
    Good grief you're getting a little harsh there. I do agree with you on those points of seriousness in life; material things don't compare.

However, having experienced the loss of my Dad b/c of cancer just 3 yrs ago and the birth of 4 children (one of whom almost didn't make it) , I can really, really appreciate the reliability of my XCE. I certainly don't need any more headaches in life and yes, in a material way, I am thankful that I have a sturdy, reliable bike to ride, especially when I need to get out.

If it wasn't reliable, I wouldn't be able to experience my good health and the peace and beauty of nature and as a result, be thankful for what I haven been given in life.

No hard feelings, WarrGuru, just a different perspective
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

E~Pluribus Unum
    I'm thankfull that I'm not riding an Ellsworth anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    I'm thankfull that I'm not riding an Ellsworth anymore.

Well that is one way to make sure this thread goes to two pages. I can see it already on the Ellsworth Board "Hey some guy is flaming Ellsworth on the Turner Board."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha
    Good grief you're getting a little harsh there. I do agree with you on those points of seriousness in life; material things don't compare.

However, having experienced the loss of my Dad b/c of cancer just 3 yrs ago and the birth of 4 children (one of whom almost didn't make it) , I can really, really appreciate the reliability of my XCE. I certainly don't need any more headaches in life and yes, in a material way, I am thankful that I have a sturdy, reliable bike to ride, especially when I need to get out.

If it wasn't reliable, I wouldn't be able to experience my good health and the peace and beauty of nature and as a result, be thankful for what I haven been given in life.

No hard feelings, WarrGuru, just a different perspective
    I didn't mean to come off as harsh. What set me off was the way the original poster thanked god.....
    'I mean in a "Thank God, I have a Turner because I just want to ride." way."

If he had said he feels lucky......or smart for making the right choice...I probably would not have responded.

I guess I'm overly sensitive due to current family issues. When you hear people praying to god to save a life, and then a short while later you read about someone thanking god for choosing the right bike.......well.......I hope you'll understand. Please don't take it personally.

Still chuggin' along
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    I didn't mean to come off as harsh. What set me off was the way the original poster thanked god.....

If he had said he feels lucky......or smart for making the right choice...I probably would not have responded.

I guess I'm overly sensitive due to current family issues. When you hear people praying to god to save a life, and then a short while later you read about someone thanking god for choosing the right bike.......well.......I hope you'll understand. Please don't take it personally.
    Gotcha-I've been there and I'm sorry I jumped on you like that. Material things are trivial in light of seeing a loved one suffering/dying. We didn't read into the original post the same way and clearly our current circumstances affect our own interpretations differently. I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Good Luck.
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

Never enough time to ride

WarrGuru,

I hate to nit pick, but God is spelled with a capital G unless you are refering to another god for another religion.

I don't mean to turn this into anything personal but I was a bit bothered by this.

happy trails...

squish

mtbr member

Gimme a break.
    Way to ruin a positive thread by taking yourself way to seriously on the internet. Yah.
    People say Thank God for all kinds or reasons.
    Last week when my wife's boss and a friend of mine passed away from brain cancer,
    I did a long ride on my 5-spot. I thought about him the whole time, but not in a sad way.
    I thought about health, and the fact that I was lucky to have mine, and how I was going to take advantage of it for as long as God let's me.
    People pray for all kinds of reasons, from really big problems to very small ones, so how about keeping your negativity to yourself.

And, I don't know what your family troubles are about, but I hope that it works out for the good.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ways to start a long thread on MTBR:

1) Mention Ellsworth and Quality in the same sentence.

2) Thank God for having a bike you like.

Just out of curiosity if you bow down to the Ellsworth God's, is it proper to capitalize God????

JLP
    I feel thankful for many things. Even though I am extremely happy with my Turner, I wouldn't use the term "thankful" the way you describe it.

I reserve being truely thankful for the blessings of health, family and friends........not material items.....not even a Turner

I know you probably meant your post to be a simple pro Turner post, but quite frankly I find it insulting. Many of us have much to be thankful for, but to include material items is just plain wrong. Have you ever had any family come down with cancer, or get in a horrible accident? Curing cancer, surviving a horrible accident, the blessings of family and friends ....these are the items I reserve to be "thankful for".

It's a bike. It's not the doctor putting your newborn baby girl in your arms.

Get on your bike and ride.....and feel "thankful" for the blessings all around you in nature and the fact that you have the health and and ability to ride and experience such beauty.
    Dude, you need to lighten up a bit. You're not the only one who has lost a loved one to cancer or had a child or had a family member get into an accident. Your righteous attitude really rubes me the wrong way. This is about biking, so lets keep it in perspective.
    Last edited by JLP; 04-30-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Ouch, I am hot!

... and if we just ... Actually, many spell it G-d

In my religion, many choose to spell it '"G-d". Also, in my religion, one of the most important reasons for life is to enjoy it. That is, G-d designed the world - and everything in it - in order to give us pleasure. The goal of life is to get that pleasure. Just as parents want their children to enjoy life, so too the Almighty wants His children to enjoy their lives to the fullest. That does not mean eating candy all day, after all, if we did that, ultimately we would be causing ourselves pain. My point is this - we are allowed to enjoy our bikes and thank G-d for the pleasure of life. For me, my Turner is one of the most important things in my life. Without cycling I would be an unhealthy, miserable, depressed couch potato. My bike improves my quality of life so much that I am a much better person for it. It has caused my relationship with G-d to soar up the mountain so to speak. I doubt I could achieve such soaring on an Ellsworth. An Intense 5.5 might work though.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    In my religion, many choose to spell it '"G-d". Also, in my religion, one of the most important reasons for life is to enjoy it. That is, G-d designed the world - and everything in it - in order to give us pleasure. The goal of life is to get that pleasure. Just as parents want their children to enjoy life, so too the Almighty wants His children to enjoy their lives to the fullest. That does not mean eating candy all day, after all, if we did that, ultimately we would be causing ourselves pain. My point is this - we are allowed to enjoy our bikes and thank G-d for the pleasure of life. For me, my Turner is one of the most important things in my life. Without cycling I would be an unhealthy, miserable, depressed couch potato. My bike improves my quality of life so much that I am a much better person for it. It has caused my relationship with G-d to soar up the mountain so to speak. I doubt I could achieve such soaring on an Ellsworth. An Intense 5.5 might work though.
    Amen.
    SEI Racing