Turner Homer

Yet again more drivetrain troubles...

Yup, you saw it right, I am having trouble with the new drivetrain components that I installed on the burner. The things I put on are a new middle chainring, new chain, and new cassette. So here is my problem, each time I shift into the middle ring, when I put pressure on the drivetrain, I get pretty bad chain stuck, and I do not know why it is doing this when it is a new drivetrain. All of the new parts are sram parts, and the chain is a power link chain. But here is the weird part. For the heck of it, I tried a new shimano hg chain that I had witout the power link, and the drive train did not chain stuck anymore, and it ran pretty smooth. So what do you think could be causing this weird problem, because I would like to use the new chain that I just brought. There is not problem with the shimano chain, but I like to be able to take off my chain after a ride and clean it. So fire away on the opinions.
    Thanks
    Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Yup, you saw it right, I am having trouble with the new drivetrain components that I installed on the burner. The things I put on are a new middle chainring, new chain, and new cassette. So here is my problem, each time I shift into the middle ring, when I put pressure on the drivetrain, I get pretty bad chain stuck, and I do not know why it is doing this when it is a new drivetrain. All of the new parts are sram parts, and the chain is a power link chain. But here is the weird part. For the heck of it, I tried a new shimano hg chain that I had witout the power link, and the drive train did not chain stuck anymore, and it ran pretty smooth. So what do you think could be causing this weird problem, because I would like to use the new chain that I just brought. There is not problem with the shimano chain, but I like to be able to take off my chain after a ride and clean it. So fire away on the opinions.
    Thanks
    Dave

I have heard that the new SRAM chains have been designed to work better with the truvativ (I think) cranks/rings and that performance might be a problem with other types of rings. Is the middle chainring you added on a sram product? If not that MIGHT be the cause.

Also check the SRAM chain to ensure no links are sticky, if so add a bit of lube to loosen em up a bit.

Turner Homer
    The middle ring is a rocket ring, unramped ring. I have also heard that and that may also be the case.
    Thanks
    Dave