mtbr member
    Apr 2010

which year 26" flux to buy horst link or dw link?

I have a 2004 5 spot that I really enjoy. The suspension just swallows everything smoothly with no issues. My only issue with my spot is I feel on top of the bike not in it. The bottom bracket seems a little high for my style.
    With the above in mind, I am plan on buying a used flux. Which year do you recommend? I like the reinforced burrito over the taco. Does the 2010-11 rear suspension work as well as the 2005-09? That is the most important question. Which rear suspension design to go with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have 04 hl 5Spot and I allso thought it is a littlebit too high so first I dropped a few spi from the shock and got a Gravitydropper and offset bushing for the lower shock bushing for about 6mm drop and now it is perfect with 150mm DT swiss fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    dw-link, burrito gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The HL designs ride better (considering stock shock setups on each) in my opinion. Since the DL link designs ride high in their travel, you don't really lose the "sitting on the bike" feeling by going to the newer design.

As someone who's owned both (and regretted selling his HL frame), I'd recommend holding onto the HL frame just in case you don't like the DL design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My previous bike was a 2005 HL 5 Spot and I currently ride a 2011 DW Spot. I prefer the DW. It pedals great, burrito > taco, and replacement parts are more readily available should you need them.

Dont Rep me
    Chain Reaction has Flux on sale if you fit size XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all your replies. I should mention the flux will be for XC racing. Seems like both are great bikes. I am leaning on the HL. My spot just is sooo nice. Seems like 2008 with the move of the lower shock mount makes for a more durable frame- I hope anyway. As time passes the DW link used prices will come down as well. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've owned both and the dw pedals and climbs better than the horst/tnt, so if you are using it for XC racing I think you'd be better off on the dw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You can pickup a used DW flux frame on the cheap. Just bought one for $600 shipped. Put a 650b on front and it is the best bike I have ever ridden. HL 5 spot on ebay right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

which year 26" flux to buy horst link or dw link?

Go for the DW link. I had a horst link burner and while plush, it was not the best pedaling bike (even after putting on a push rp2 shock). The newer design pedals much better while giving up little of the plushness.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlaroo View Post
    My only issue with my spot is I feel on top of the bike not in it. The bottom bracket seems a little high for my style.
    That's exactly the feeling I had for some time though I kept saying it's the price to pay for not having pedal strikes here in the rocky/rooted stuff that I ride all the time. Then I experimented by putting a 650b up front. I own a 2008 Spot TNT (which I adapted a Horst Link rear to) with a 650b up front (using a Magura Thor fork). LOVE IT! No more high tippy feeling, especially when turning in. The BB went up a bit with the new front wheel/tire but the CG with respect to the front axle is much better, the HA went from 69 to 68 degrees and the trail increased almost 3/4". I know this doesn't directly answer your question but it could be useful info for you.

Oh, I just read further down, not sure the Spot (like I have mine set up anyway) would make a great race bike. Mine is set up as a go anywhere, climb everything and anything you find and then descend without any fears, no matter how technical. I equate it to a rock crawler that you can drive to the trails, trail run all day and then drive it home. Never fast but never have to get off and walk either!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have an older 5 spot with HL, then got a flux with tnt. Great bikes both but after a demo of the dw Turners, I still believe it can be the best suspension design available. Turner has optimized the design and associated shock valving more so than other mfg's using the dw sus, at least by my criteria anyway.

I am going for a larger wheel size but the dw Flux frame has been my favorite so far but all the turner bikes have been fun to ride regardless of sus type.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    DW Link, 650B front wheel, go win races!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.