mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XTR Shadow +, BUT carbon cage?

This rear mech sounds like the ticket to a quiet ride and decreased chain drops and chatter. But I don't like the idea of a carbon cage. That's one of the last places I'd use carbon, but that's just me.

If it weren't for the cage, I'd be using one now. I hear these can even replace the need for a chain tensioner/guide for 2-ring crankset bikes.

I'm looking forward to the XT version. I'm guessing it'll use alu for the cage and would prolly be about $80 less.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    The benefits of the shadow plus mechanism far exceed the durability difference between alloy and carbon cages.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Because the cage doesn't move much, it is easy to damage while riding it. I broke the end of the AL side on my 3rd ride. Now I am more careful when trying to go through rock gardens.

I don't (can't with press fit BB) use chainguide anymore, but haven't dropped the chain yet with this derailleur.

It was only $15 but took a while because you have to special order it. The carbon side is much more, something like $85.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    I broke the end of the AL side on my 3rd ride.
    Long cage or medium cage?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Long cage or medium cage?
    Medium cage. But not much shorter than long. Not like SRAM which are significantly shorter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anybody got a guess on when the "plus" technology will trickle down to XT?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Medium cage. But not much shorter than long. Not like SRAM which are significantly shorter.
    I've got the medium cage too, thought it looked a bit longer than SRAM's med cage.

That's a strange break. The more exposed carbon side went unscathed.

Kosmo - Rumors of SLX getting the Shadow+ treatment first are circling. Next year maybe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Because the cage doesn't move much, it is easy to damage while riding it. I broke the end of the AL side on my 3rd ride. Now I am more careful when trying to go through rock gardens.

I don't (can't with press fit BB) use chainguide anymore, but haven't dropped the chain yet with this derailleur.

It was only $15 but took a while because you have to special order it. The carbon side is much more, something like $85.

Yep, exactly why I'm waiting for an alu cage Shadow +. Yikes!! $85 for ONE plate!! Forget that! No way I'm buying a carbon for sure. I even read where some folks are simply replacing the cage with an XT alu one both plates. Then it's no longer an XTR

Good to hear the success stories with better chain control. I too await in anticipation the XT version, which I'm sure will be alu cage.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Yep, exactly why I'm waiting for an alu cage Shadow +
    It was the aluminum plate that broke, the carbon plate was unharmed.