mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XT Rear Hub Problem

When coasting the cassette continues to turn with the wheel causing the chain to bunch up and at times derail. No problem when pedaling.

Lay off the Levers
    When coasting, does it turn at the same rate as the wheel or lag behind it?
    If the cassette can be turned by hand without rotating the wheel, or you can backpedal, then your hub is likely full of crap and needs to be cleaned out, regreased & rebuilt.

If you cannot backpedal w/o the wheel turning backwards and the cassette won't move without the wheel in either direction, then your hub is broken. Maybe a good tech with spare parts can fix it.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    Yup, take the whole thing apart and at least clean it. Hubs that completely sieze after giving you warnings are no fun.

Also make sure the hub is completely straight in the dropouts. One never knows...

mtbr member
    With the XT you will probably need to relace the cass. body. It isn't very much or hard to do. Check the bearings and races well while you have it apart.

Team Sanchez
    I was gonna say the same thing. Time to replace the cassette body. Early in my cycling days, I seized many a XT cassette Body. Stream crossings, and hosing down your rear wheel will generally contribute to this failure.

mtbr member
    That sounds like it needs a clean and regrease as a minimum, as everyone has said.
    Over here at this time of year as temps get colder they also tend to freeze, giving the opposite effect i.e. no engagement at all

Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    When coasting, does it turn at the same rate as the wheel or lag behind it?
    If the cassette can be turned by hand without rotating the wheel, or you can backpedal, then your hub is likely full of crap and needs to be cleaned out, regreased & rebuilt.

If you cannot backpedal w/o the wheel turning backwards and the cassette won't move without the wheel in either direction, then your hub is broken. Maybe a good tech with spare parts can fix it.
    Based on your diagnosis, looks like it needs a cleaning and rebuild. What kind of parts are involved?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    New cassette body (freehub mechanism) needed, and as noted above, not much money. But if you are somewhat big, somewhat strong, and like riding up steep moves with good traction, you're going to be replacing a lot of them. I finally gave up about 6 years ago while on El Chingon's home turf, Gooseberry Mesa. Less than 500 yards from the outermost overlook, going up that steep move with sand at the bottom, I heard a loud "pang", and it never coasted again. Not much fun riding a fixed gear mtb back from there! Since that was my 5th or 6th freehub in a year, I ponied up for some CK hubs.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Based on your diagnosis, looks like it needs a cleaning and rebuild. What kind of parts are involved?
    Probably need a new freehub cassette. Should cost ~$35. You'll need cone wrenches, some grease, etc. Also, be careful to keep track of all the bearings when you pull the axle out. Do that over something that will catch them if they were to fall out.....

An example of what the part looks like.
    http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=FW8376

EB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    New cassette body (freehub mechanism) needed, and as noted above, not much money. But if you are somewhat big, somewhat strong, and like riding up steep moves with good traction, you're going to be replacing a lot of them. I finally gave up about 6 years ago while on El Chingon's home turf, Gooseberry Mesa. Less than 500 yards from the outermost overlook, going up that steep move with sand at the bottom, I heard a loud "pang", and it never coasted again. Not much fun riding a fixed gear mtb back from there! Since that was my 5th or 6th freehub in a year, I ponied up for some CK hubs.
    Disassembled my freehub today. The inside looked like a grenade went off. I am suprised it worked at all. I agree that I need something stronger but I am going to wait until a new wheel set is needed. Right now I am taking the freehub from an lx hub I had. It is exactly the same. Makes me wonder about the difference between xt and lx.

banned
    Flanges and I think the bearings and axle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Flanges and I think the bearings and axle.
    I could be wrong but to the eye the internals look the same.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i dont have particulars in front of me but theres a huge diff in longevity between lx and xt freehub bodys. the lx will get ya through the week but lay down the extra $10 for the xt. if ya can still find the old ones, they lasted forever and a day. i think its the old 8 spd m737 series hubs they came on. qbp part # is fw8950 and will run ya about $40 if ya can still get em.
    No, I'm NOT back!