Bikehard

XT Crankset w/ Bashguard??

I'm getting ready to get an XT Crankset and I am wanting to run 2 rings up front with a bashguard. I will be using an XT frt derailleur. Is it possible to run the 2 rings up front and take the 3rd off and replace with a bashguard? I also want the option to throw the 3rd ring back on when doing flat XC stuff. This will be on a 08 Spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    no problemo
    breezy shade

jrm
    mtbr member

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by buildthis
    I'm getting ready to get an XT Crankset and I am wanting to run 2 rings up front with a bashguard. I will be using an XT frt derailleur. Is it possible to run the 2 rings up front and take the 3rd off and replace with a bashguard? I also want the option to throw the 3rd ring back on when doing flat XC stuff. This will be on a 08 Spot.
    But id recommend using a SLX 667 compact FD.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Bikehard
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Why is that?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    not if he wants the option of a big ring. wont work as its a 2 ring only der. stick with the xt.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    You need to position the front der as if there were 3 rings even if you replace the big ring with a (smaller) bashring. This is very important. It is going to look weird with the front der so high on the seat tube, but the der's proper function and the suspension's clearance will depend on the der being installed in the correct location. The easiest way to do this is to set the cranks and der up with 3 rings and then swap the bashring for the big ring, but don't move the der other than to adjust the travel stop.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Don't overlook the SLX double crankset!
    With the same bashring & chainrings installed, the SLX is only ~50g heavier than the XT. Shimano claims it's stiffer and stronger, and it does come with steel inserts at the pedal threads. The SLX also comes with 22/36 gearing which is ideal for a 2x9 set-up, more range and fewer redundant gears.
    Maybe there's a reason shimano doesn't make an XT double?

Many people ignore SLX as it's seen as a step-down from XT.
    Get both cranks in your hands and I think you'll agree the SLX is very very nice.

mtbr member
    I kept all three rings and have a partial bashguard/ Love it!!

Bikehard
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    With the same bashring & chainrings installed, the SLX is only ~50g heavier than the XT. Shimano claims it's stiffer and stronger, and it does come with steel inserts at the pedal threads. The SLX also comes with 22/36 gearing which is ideal for a 2x9 set-up, more range and fewer redundant gears.

Get both cranks in your hands and I think you'll agree the SLX is very very nice.
    I'm sure the SLX is great however it wont function for me if I do switch back to the 3 ring setup.

as if this wasnt already confusing, you can run a slx crankset, get the 22/36 gear youll want and need for a 2 ring as fm said, then toss a 44 on it when its time for the 3 ring circus. its certain versions of the slx f der that are not a option as it curved too small for a big ring. its got a 36t max rating. the 661 bottom swing is tripple compatable with a turner, the 667 is double only. the 660 and 665 are out as they wont fit any turner frame.

if ya need the extra beef of the slx cranks, its a dandy way to go and most bash guards are the same price as a big ring so its a wash. if yer not bendin cranks now and yer not built like a power lifter, why bother? a spot isnt built that way either so its total spec overkill. someone shoulda reccomended xt.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Hey FM, how'd you get only 50g difference b/w the two? Looking at Shimano's website, the 3 ring XT's are 853, and the 2 ring w/ bash SLX are 999. You sure you didn't mix up the SLX weights, and look at the 3 ring SLX? Those are right around 50g heavier than the XT IIRC.

My buddy got a set of the 2 ring SLX, and they are super nice. I'd def recommend them to anyone not wanting to ever run a big ring. And in terms of stiffness, if they are as stiff as Shimano says and closer to being stiff like the new Saints, you'll def notice it over the XT's. I really noticed the stiffness of my new Saints over the XT's on my RFX. Enough that I'm thinking of selling my XT's for a set of the SLX's.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Bikehard
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    as if this wasnt already confusing, you can run a slx crankset, get the 22/36 gear youll want and need for a 2 ring as fm said, then toss a 44 on it when its time for the 3 ring circus. its certain versions of the slx f der that are not a option as it curved too small for a big ring. its got a 36t max rating. the 661 bottom swing is tripple compatable with a turner, the 667 is double only. the 660 and 665 are out as they wont fit any turner frame.

if ya need the extra beef of the slx cranks, its a dandy way to go and most bash guards are the same price as a big ring so its a wash. if yer not bendin cranks now and yer not built like a power lifter, why bother? a spot isnt built that way either so its total spec overkill. someone shoulda reccomended xt.
    IM 135 so I dont think I will be bending cranks with the toothpicks I have for legs.

Thanks again for all the info!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    Hey FM, how'd you get only 50g difference b/w the two? Looking at Shimano's website, the 3 ring XT's are 853, and the 2 ring w/ bash SLX are 999. You sure you didn't mix up the SLX weights, and look at the 3 ring SLX? Those are right around 50g heavier than the XT IIRC.
    That is exactly what I am saying! Peoples perspective on crank weights are totally messed up, because they are comparing triples to doubles with bashrings. But bashrings weigh 75g +/- more than big chainrings!

Xt FC-M770 triple: 853 grams
    subtract 81 grams for the XT 44t big chainring, add 145 grams for an E13 bashring or 149g for shimano Saint/SLX bashring.
    That puts you at 921grams for an XT with shimano bashring.
    $70 more than SLX and 78g lighter.

weight difference aside, 22/36 works so much better than 22/32 for a 2x9 set-up IMHO. More range, fewer redundant gears. Let's not discount the weight of those extra 4 teeth over XT!
    Last edited by FM; 01-17-2009 at 07:11 PM.

that about covers it. im with ya all the way. took me some time to trust the 4 tooth jump but im sold now. xt 970 cranks and rf rings if that makes any diff to anyone.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I actually wanted the new stylo OCT's (supposedly 815g for 2x9 with BG) but they're not available yet.... so I went with the SLX's for the reasons listed below. Sorry for the threadjacking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fancy shmancy! i got a cpl pair of the older gxp stylos from the sc blowout sale for about $40 each. 1 for candycorns stinger in a 165 triple, the other for the dhr in a 170 single. length was supposed to be the other way around but oh well. not sure if i misread or they misprinted. in the end its fine and maybe even for the best, all things considered.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    That is exactly what I am saying! Peoples perspective on crank weights are totally messed up, because they are comparing triples to doubles with bashrings. But bashrings weigh 75g +/- more than big chainrings!

Xt FC-M770 triple: 853 grams
    subtract 81 grams for the XT 44t big chainring, add 145 grams for an E13 bashring or 149g for shimano Saint/SLX bashring.
    That puts you at 921grams for an XT with shimano bashring.
    $70 more than SLX and 78g lighter.

weight difference aside, 22/36 works so much better than 22/32 for a 2x9 set-up IMHO. More range, fewer redundant gears. Let's not discount the weight of those extra 4 teeth over XT!
    Ah, ok, gotcha now. Don't know why I wasn't thinking along those lines myself. I blame a lack of coffee or being overworked.

I think I'll start looking for an SLX crankset now...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.