Alaska Turner Mafia

XT cranks question

I'm slowly building up a Pack on a budget that I picked up last November. At the moment every bike I ride is still 8 speed and square taper, but I'm not necessarily wanting to rob from one for the Pack. I was thinking this bike would probably see lots of traveling, and with that comes much disassembly and reassembly, for which square taper cranks aren't the best suited.

A spline or integrated system seems the best answer, but I'm staying away from ISIS. The integrated systems are a bit more than I want to spend, which leaves Octalink combos. The octalink XT 752's are available all over for around the $80 range, and this may best suit my budget. So, what is the generally used ES71 BB size for Turners? I'll still be using an 8 speed rear end, since I have shifters and casettes already, and will run a 2 ring/BG up front. 113 or 118?

Any help is appreciated,
    Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    I'm slowly building up a Pack on a budget that I picked up last November. At the moment every bike I ride is still 8 speed and square taper, but I'm not necessarily wanting to rob from one for the Pack. I was thinking this bike would probably see lots of traveling, and with that comes much disassembly and reassembly, for which square taper cranks aren't the best suited.

A spline or integrated system seems the best answer, but I'm staying away from ISIS. The integrated systems are a bit more than I want to spend, which leaves Octalink combos. The octalink XT 752's are available all over for around the $80 range, and this may best suit my budget. So, what is the generally used ES71 BB size for Turners? I'll still be using an 8 speed rear end, since I have shifters and casettes already, and will run a 2 ring/BG up front. 113 or 118?

Any help is appreciated,
    Rando
    73x113
    The 752 is a great crank, and at the $89 price you just can't go wrong. The BB is also pretty bombproof. I'm on my 4th year on the 752 and BB combo (on four different bikes) and it's still smooth as silk.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    word. get well soon my friend.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Baked Alaskan
    Yo Rando,

What about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Deore-LX...QQcmdZViewItem

Much easier to install/remove than seperate crank/bb combos. The Pugs will be my last/only non-integrated setup.

Best crank-bang-for-the-buck is the integrated LX IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Do you guys get the creaks on yours, any tips there to get rid of it, cc- I've checked the BB and pivots so I know there good, I'm pretty sure it's just the crank as my 952's did that also.

Great stuff for the $ I agree

not so super...
    Budget? What's a budget? This is the land of snobs and poseurs. We don't need no stinkin' budget

The 752's are very nice cranks and I utilized mine for 2-3 years on various bikes with the same BB. They now reside on the wife's XCE.

That said if you can find a deal on the new Hone or LX integrated units that would be the dogs donuts.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 01-26-2006 at 01:34 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Yo Rando,

What about something like this:

Much easier to install/remove than seperate crank/bb combos. The Pugs will be my last/only non-integrated setup.

Best crank-bang-for-the-buck is the integrated LX IMHO.
    Hey Chris, is that the Vanilla in the background? How's it working for your girl?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Hmmmm......two endorsements for the new LX.......I'll be looking into that, and not too high of a price either. The upside is if someone like Phil Wood or Chris King develop outboard bearings, I'll be able to upgrade as needed. Whereas the Octalink will never see new technology.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Lay off the Levers
    I have the XTs too. They're a breeze to put on and off. Easy to install the BBs too. The bearings are easy to dismantle flush and repack.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Now with flavor!!
    Where are you guys seeing these things for $89

I've had a pair on my xc bike for 3 years now and they're getting a little noodly. Time for a replacement.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Hey Chris, is that the Vanilla in the background? How's it working for your girl?
    It is... damn... good eye. Lets just say after a summer of fun -- now they're both being ridden in other states.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

No, that's not phonetic
    The old Hollowtech XTs are $89 at Jenson.

The X-type LX are waaay cheaper than the XT. Weird.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Phil Wood bearings

The upside is if someone like Phil Wood or Chris King develop outboard bearings, I'll be able to upgrade as needed. Whereas the Octalink will never see new technology.Rando
    Rando,

Phil Wood already offers bearings for all of the current outboard bottom brackets. (XTR, XT, Race Face, FSA) You can send them your BB cups and they will install the new bearings with their special tool and then send the cups back to you. I believe it is $49 for both cups. They also sell the fancy tool to do it yourself.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The old Hollowtech XTs are $89 at Jenson.

Can't find'em

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005

Make it 3!!!

Hmmmm......two endorsements for the new LX.......I'll be looking into that, and not too high of a price either. The upside is if someone like Phil Wood or Chris King develop outboard bearings, I'll be able to upgrade as needed. Whereas the Octalink will never see new technology.

Rando
    I have XT II's on my Burner and just bought LX II's for a budget build HT. Love it so far and they are just like the XT's. $90 on EBay. Like a sore dick....Can't beat it!!!

mtbr member

Just put a pair on a Pack

Well, I just looked and could'nt find them on Jenson either....may be they sold out. I did just get a pair from Jenson for that price that I also put on my Pack. Since its my first pair I can't really comment other than that.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Can't find'em
    Woo - I don't see 'em at Jenson anymore but Chucks has them for $85

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I love XT cranksets

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Where are you guys seeing these things for $89

I've had a pair on my xc bike for 3 years now and they're getting a little noodly. Time for a replacement.
    I'm not understanding how your cranks are becoming noodly. Are the rings wearing out? Do you have square taper? Worn out rings?

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-28-2006 at 10:07 AM.

I've got a Stiffee
    I just swapped out my Holzfeller cranks on my Pack for a set of XT 760's and I lost over .6 lbs Best part is I didn't loose any rigidity/strength from the swap. Can't beat Jenson's price on them right now @ $206.

mtbr member
    if you prefer 170mm cranks performance has the hone's for $99.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5120

Members who have read this thread: 0