Lay off the Levers

Xpost: Calipers: XTR vs XT vs. Saint

I have a set of XTRs since '03 and like them.

QUESTION:
    Does Anyone know how the XTR calipers compare to the XTs and the Saints in performance?
    I'm just about to outfit an RFX and was just going to go straight to XTRs but if the XTs are stronger, OR if the Saints are MUCH stronger and still modulate well I might consider one of those alternatives.

Anyone have comparitive experience?
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    XT and saint are the same as far as I know, just different colours. On ease of setup alone I would buy XT or saint, I'm not getting XTR again for brakes, fed up of shimming them. FYI I have two five spots, one with XT and goodridge hoses, one with XTR and goodridge hoses, same pads. I think the XT actually feel better as well, though they are slightly newer.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I have a set of XTRs since '03 and like them.

QUESTION:
    Does Anyone know how the XTR calipers compare to the XTs and the Saints in performance?
    I'm just about to outfit an RFX and was just going to go straight to XTRs but if the XTs are stronger, OR if the Saints are MUCH stronger and still modulate well I might consider one of those alternatives.

Anyone have comparitive experience?

I would go with either the XT or the Saint which ever one comes out cheaper. I am running XTR on my singlespeed and I like them a lot however I feel that the xt or Saint would do a better job (on an RFX) because they won't heat up as fast as the XTR. There is my .02, if you decide not to use it then you owe me .10 back .

Lay off the Levers
    The Current XTRs are available in post mount so would shimming still be a problem?

Any idea why the current XTs would heat up less than the XTRs? they look very similar.
    Are the XTs and the Saints really the same???

The pricing on the XT and XTR caliers aren't super different price wise. I found setup really easy on the XTRs even with shimming.

Any reflection on power and modualtion?

I think I need to Upgrade
    Not sure as far as the shimming goes, I am a fan of the shimming, I think it makes set up easier.

The XTR caliper is lighter and I think made out of a lighter Al so there is less material and lighter material so it will heat up easier/faster.

The weight, size and shape of the XT caliper and the Saint caliper are practicaly identical the only difference I can find is the color.

Modulation should be the same so the XT/Saint will be excelent.

Brass Nipples!
    The XTR calipers I had on my Moment felt great with an 8 inch rotor in front, almost as good as the Juicy's with an 8 inch rotor I now have on my Pack. I never had them overheat, even in the desert heat. They're noticably wimpier with a 6 inch rotor on my Epiphany now, but still fine for that bike's intended use. I'd recommend you go 8" front and at least 7" back on your RFX, but I think either XTR or XT would be fine.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Xtr

The only part of XTR that is gaining weight for 07 is the caliper. Tech mentioned that in order to improve braking they added some weight to it to get the performance up to the XT level. It was alluded to that the currnent XTR were as light as they could build them and in field testing has shown that the XT were actually stiffer. I have XTR calipers on 2 bikes and I have never thought they were flexy. Any of the current Shimano levers will work with any caliper. For 07 the separate XTR brake lever is completely different and very light, it should also work with any of the calipers. Can't say if they are as tough as the Deore, Saint and XT levers, but they should really not be with the "R" on the end. I will get them for my spot just the same.

DT

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks folks. XTR it is.

I'm running 8" rotors up front. The 6" rears seem more than powerful enough for me thus far.
    I do recall my during my brief visit to Moab last year, my XTRs never felt overburdened, and I never used my brakes so much in my life.

Brake selection advice from DT, and on a Sunday night?...how cool is that!
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-12-2006 at 08:36 PM.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    The LX/Hone diffs appear to be color so XT/Saint may be the same.

What's a shim. I have Juicies
    The CPS is absolute cake to get aligned. Avid should license it.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Thanks folks. XTR it is.
    Such a low bling decision. Come on Zilla, where are the Hopes with colored levers, reservoir covers and bore caps??

I'm with RR - what's a shim? Is that short for Shimano or something
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    yeah I hear ya. The hopes are mighty blingy no doubt.I like the XTRs b/c I know them. They're easy to deal with, easy to set up. I also like their modulation. Also the mineral oil is mighty tasty. Mmmmmm!The shims are a 5 minuet dealy-o the first time and a non-issue after that. Plus with the 66SL being post mount there won't be any shims up front right?Can you believe it? I'm actually putting function ahead of form!
    Can someone please explain what's going on with the formatting? CRs getting dropped, font sets disabled, html commands appearing and disappering, I'm confused.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker

What's a shim. I have Juicies .
    It's what lets us adjust our brakes to not squeal and wear unevenly like avids and the other systems that use a similer post-mount.

Watch your brake really closely when you tighten that CPS, and you'll see the caliper twist.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    I really hate post mounts.

Lay off the Levers
    I like tab mounts, no fuss, easy to adjust, and no fear of stripping out your fork lowers. Prolly never happen but it seems to me, on post mounts the weakest link is the most expensive to replace.

Post may be shimless but jayem makes an interesting point about twisting. I guess I'll soon see for myself.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive yet to see my avids twist but i guess i never looked all that closely so ill have to do that. id suggest bringin the torque up to 80 inch lbs a bit at a time anyway. thats just smart installin. i too hate post mounts. they just dont make alot of sense and never seem to tune all that well unless its a avid with conical washers, otherwise they never seem to be square to the rotor not to mention the eventual strippin of the lowers. just seems silly to me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Can someone splain what post mount is, what the alternative mount to post mount is?

I currently running XTR's but looking at Saints for my SS...
    (are XTR's post mount?)

Thx,
    MTB-)

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB-]
    Can someone splain what post mount is, what the alternative mount to post mount is?

I currently running XTR's but looking at Saints for my SS...
    (are XTR's post mount?)
    XTRs are now available in both Post Mount and IS (International Standard) tab mount. Earlier XTR models were tab only(AFAIK). Funny thing about IS is they aren't the "standard" both are. What's more is that fork mfgrs are moving to post mount. For example Marzocchi was exclusively IS until '06 now (almost?) all their stuff is Post Mount. I have no idea why.

Example of Post Mount (Credit to jncarpenter) The bolts go through the adaptor and thread directly into the fork lowers. The bolts are front to back in line with the wheel.

Here's an example of IS tab mount (mine) The mounting bolts fit through the tab mounts, but the threads are actually in the caliper... or in this case they thread into the adaptor because I'm using 8" rotors. The Mounting tabs have holes the bolts just slide through. The bolts are oriented side to side in line with the axle.

NOW an interesting question is, are frame builders going to move to post mount for the rear wheels too? This would bring everything to a single mounting standard, but then I don't really see a benifit to post mount and I don't see an advantage of having only one kind. It might be easier for brake mfgrs to only make one kind of caliper, but as far as I can tell it won't be doing me any favors.