Thread: xl dw 5 spot

mtbr member

xl dw 5 spot

I'm thinking about getting a dw 5 spot. I'm 6' 1.5''. I like a frame with a 24'' top tube. The large dw spots 23.6'' and the xl's are 24.2''. I'm kind of leaning toward the xl with a shorter stem. The 5.9'' head tube on the xl has me a bit concerned.

Any input would be appreciated.

Also does anyone have any pictures of an xl frame. I see all kinds of medium and large 5 spot but no xl's.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am 6' 1" and the the large Spot that I rode felt cramped even with a 110 mm stem. If I was buying, I'd get an XL.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' even and also like a 24"+ top tube, so I went with an XL. I like to run a shorter stem (70-80mm on the Spot) too, and the fit feels right on. The .6" difference in top tube length isn't huge, but I definitely prefer the feel of a shorter stem/longer front-center.

The headtube does look a little tall (both on paper and on the bike), but even with a 160mm fork I didn't feel like I couldn't get enough weight over the front end when climbing/cornering. I like to run a low rise bar and no spacers, so the taller headtube probably helps me achieve proper positioning- bars just about even with the saddle with a 160mm fork (and a bit below with a 140mm fork).

I can get a picture of the bike tomorrow, but for now here's a picture of me on it.

PS: I'm pretty sure DB's is an XL too if you want some glamour shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xl dw 5 spot-image00001.jpg  

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    PS: I'm pretty sure DB's is an XL too if you want some glamour shots.
    This is correct, mine in an XL. I am 6'2.5" tall, running a 100mm stem with zero spacers under the stem. I'm using a travel adjustable fork and the bike geo feels great for climbing with the fork set at 130mm. I might try a 90mm stem since I can play with the fork geo to keep the front wheel tucked under for climbing.

The long headtube takes a little getting used to visually, and might mess up your current setup. In fact, my old fork steertube ended up being too short which prompted the new fork purchase, and I also had to get a longer front brake line to acommodate the mammoth headtube and longer fork.

All this got me thinking.... I'm surprised there isn't a bigger movement for ALL bikes to have 1.5" headtubes(even if reamed skinny to save weight). with a 1.5 you have more welding surface to attach the top and down tubes, which "should" mean you can use a shorter headtube, which would mean you could run a 150-160mm fork and maintain 140mm geometry. 1.5 also allows for varying headset setups for further geo adjustability, which everyone seems to like. I'm just sayin', it might be to time for the 1.5 concept to trickle down a little further into trail bikes.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Ya, the xl seems to be the way to go. I just never had a frame with a 21'' seat tube and a 5.9'' head tube. Most of the frames that I have had are around 19'' with a 24'' top tube and head tubes between 4.75'' and 5.5''. The xl 5 spot is just bigger all the way around. It would be best to demo an xl but most bike shops don't seem to have xl 5 spots laying around to be demoed.

Lets see some more of those xl pics to feed my 5 spot addiction disorder........