mtbr member

XCE still a good buy?

I had an XCE last summer and I sold it in November because I got engaged and bought a house and I could use the extra money (I think we all know how this goes). Anyway, I was really bummed to find that Turner discontinued the XCE because I absolutely loved the bike. To me, 4" of travel is perfect, 5" seems a little much and 3.5" seems like it's not enough.

Is it smart to buy a lightly used XCE? Or should I just break down and get a 5 spot? Another option would be to get a burner from supergo and put romic rockers on it to get 4" of travel.

Is the Burner as stiff as the XCE?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If you can get it cheap enough...

A lightly used XCE can be a great deal. I have an XCE and my wife has a Burner, and except for the BB (the XCE has the forged BB like the 5-spot) the bikes seem identical.

For 950 I think it's hard to go wrong w/ the Burner though. You get a brand new bike w/ a 2 year warrantee. People are selling romic rockers for 50-100 bucks but they're somewhat rare. Could you notice the difference between 3.6" and 4" of travel? Not sure.

The 5-spot is going to be a LOT more money than a used XCE or new Burner.

Dave

Motion activated
    The 3.6" on the Burner put me off some to begin with. 3.6 seems to be appropriate for a racer, not a trail bike. Anyway the Burner is designed around a 4" fork and has a 70 deg head angle, so it really is more of a trail bike.

The BB and main pivot are one single piece, but it doesn’t incorporate the lower shock mount like the 5 or the XCE.

Anyway I think its all to easy to get caught up in the numbers. Someone here did a comparison between their XCE and their new Burner. He said the Burner was just a slightly more XC orientated than his XCE.

mtbr member

My style of.......

riding is more on the aggressive trail riding side. No huge drops or any freeriding. That's why I'm a little afraid of pulling the trigger on the burner. Plus, I like where the shock mount is placed of the XCE and 5 spot, it just looks more stable to me.

With the XCE, would Turner still work with me to fix any trouble I may have, even though they no longer produce them? i.e. If the frame cracks, what would happen?

Eric

Motion activated
    According to Turner, the Burner is almost as strong as the 5-spot. The Burner would be perfect for agro XC and <4 foot drops, even more if you're light and smooth.

Unless you're over 200lb & not very smooth, I wouldn't even think twice about the strength of the Burner.

Give Turner a call, they should be to able to set you straight better than anyone here - they're very honest about their products.

FWIW, they've fixed an older frame for me.

mtbr member

The thing is.....

I'm 6'1" 230lbs. and my first love is weight lifting and bodybuilding, so I'll always be over 200 lbs. However, I am a very smooth rider. Would this scenerio put me on a 5 spot? If I would get a burner, the first thing I would do is put a coil shock on it for sure. Air shocks and I just don't see eye to eye.

Eric

Motion activated
    I'd talk to Turner then. Like I said before, they are very honest and will suggest the best bike for your needs (even if it is the XCE), rather than the one that makes them the most money.

Their number should be on their web site http://www.turnerbikes.com/

I could be wrong, but it seems that guys that are over 200lb benefit from longer travel bikes as heaver limbs don't provide the suspension that skinny limbs do.

Skinny guys can flow over sections that heavy guys have to bash though (if they were both on the same bike). But on the plus side, heavy guys have the strength to pedal stronger, longer travel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Burner is for all intents and purposes an XCE w/ an air shock.

If your original XCE was stong enough then the Burner should be fine as well. I saw somewhere that Fox is selling a propedal Vanilla R w/ a 6.5 i2i and a 1.75" stroke. If that's the case then you could easily get 4" of travel out of your burner using the rockers you have now. Otherwise you could try to get a romic rocker.

Or, you could just get a 5-spot. I really don't think it's going to be significantly stronger than the Burner. The frame weight sans shock is pretty close to the same.

If it were me and I was simply an aggressive CC rider I'd get the Burner. 700 bucks is a huge price difference and I don't think the Romic is a particularly reliable shock.

Dave

mtbr member

Thanks for......

the heads up on that Vanilla R with a 1.75" stroke, I'm gonna have to look into that. Any idea on the price? My XCE was definately strong enough for me, so I should save a few bucks and get a Burner. It's brand new and comes with a 2 year warranty.....can't beat that with a stick!

I think I'm gonna head over to Supergo and order one. Any one in need of a brand new Fox Float RL? I know someone who will have one very soon!

Thanks for all your help!!
    Eric
    Last edited by buckeye_nut; 04-02-2004 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add comments

mtbr member

I did it!!

.....and the wait begins......I went ahead and ordered the burner. I'm very confident in my decision and I can't wait to get it on the trail.

Has anyone seen the vanilla with a 1.75" stroke for sale anywhere? Maybe someone here has one for sale. Please let me know, I'm seriously looking to buy one.

I would also be interested in a set of Romic Rockers.

Thanks again for all your help.

Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cambria has one advertised...

About halfway down the page. The vanilla R. Give them a call and see.

http://cambriabike.com/forks&shock/shockp.htm

mtbr member

Thanks!!

I checked out the one on the Cambria bike. I'm gonna wait until I get the frame to order it though.

Will this shock alter the geometry of the bike at all? I'm thinking it will not because it's still 6.5" i2i.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_nut
    I had an XCE last summer and I sold it in November because I got engaged and bought a house and I could use the extra money (I think we all know how this goes). Anyway, I was really bummed to find that Turner discontinued the XCE because I absolutely loved the bike. To me, 4" of travel is perfect, 5" seems a little much and 3.5" seems like it's not enough.

Is it smart to buy a lightly used XCE? Or should I just break down and get a 5 spot? Another option would be to get a burner from supergo and put romic rockers on it to get 4" of travel.

Thanks!!

I also like 4" inch travel bikes for the same reasons. One of my 4" travel bikes is a Turner Burner with Romic rockers. I have been really impressed with this bike. It has a real nice balanced feel. It has quick snappy handling and it has been very impressive in tight singletrack and it is a great climber. I have not owned an XCE but have ridden one a few times and the Burner has a similar feel with the Romic rockers. I am not really sure if .4" would have a significant impact on the ride.

I like building raceable trail bikes and the Burner with Romic rockers falls within this category. It has enough "cush" for epic rides and rough stuff, but can be built light enough to race.

A used XCE or a new Burner are both great bikes, but the Supergo deal on the Burner is hard to pass up . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_nut

Thanks!!
    BTW, if you're curious, I'm selling my XCE. I got a Burner and it is a hair more agressive, other than that pretty much the same (I rode the XCE with an air shock). Really only got the Burner because of the low price, other than that the XCE is a great bike. I'll be selling my Large polished XCE with XT/XTR/Zokes Z4 air for about $1200.

James