mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XCE+Frankenfork=Big Smiles!

Well, my search for a new fork for my XCE ended a few weeks ago when I found an '04 Z1FR dressed in AM1 lowers (130-150mm). The thing is in mint shape.

I got out for a serious ride on it this morning and was grinning from ear to ear. There was some tight singletrack to start with the proverbial wet/snotty ladders found here in Vancouver, and I found myself looking for things to run over. I was trying to tell myself that the handling would be wacked with the height of the fork, but I never noticed it.
    The 25 minute climb gave me a chance to muck around with the ETA, and it also impressed me.
    Once regaining ourselves from the climb we headed down, and I was amazed at the way the trail seemed to disappear from under me. That thing is PLUSH!! Not to mention solid feeling. With my 220lbs and gear it gave no hint of flex.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy fellow, can't wait to get back out in the rain for some more rides.
    Here's a couple pics of the beast. Don't worry, I don't have the post that high for riding, I had just snuck out from Thanksgiving dinner to snap the pics, so it was an "out of the truck, snap 'em, back in the truck," sort of operation.
    Cheers,

Mike E.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Hey Mike, looks familiar?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the fork.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

dog's best friend
    May 2004

UGI mantra

"OK, now what?"

The bike looks good Mike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How 'bout...

... a 5 Spot frame? It's the only logical next step right?
    My son has outgrown his Ellsworth (sorry for the bad language folks) Isis frame so I'm going to have to troll around to see if I can score a 5 Spot and move him onto the XCE - in a perfect world of course. Don't get me wrong, I really like the XCE for myself, but like you pointed out, there's the ever-present UGI.

We'll have to get out for a ride, no? Yesterday's excursion was on Burnaby Mtn. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike E.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink Hey MK...

...the fork went from your "couch shot" to my "full frontal" shot...

Thanks again for the fork. It was definitely worth the wait.

Cheers,

Mike E.

dog's best friend
    May 2004

I'm between Turners right now

Got my 5 Spot stolen last weekend. Ordered up a 6 Spot today for the upcoming Moab trip next week. How's that for unintentional UGI. Have you taken Junior to Golden Ears yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bummer, but...

... at least you won't have to fret over the massive scratches that were inflicted upon your Spot recently. HaHa.
    Seriously though, I've had a couple bikes lifted. Where was yours taken? Never a good feeling....until the shiny new replacement shows up of course!?!
    A 6 Pack eh? Going a bit burly are we? What sort of build are you doing?

Junior's been up Burke a few times now, but haven't had him out the Golder Ears yet.
    Oops, I'm gonna' be late for work...gotta' go.

Cheers,

Mike E.