mtbr member
    Feb 2010

X9 2x10 front derailleur setup on DW Sultan

I'm just about done building up my new DW Sultan, and I'm wondering if anyone has an X9 2x10 setup that they can share front derailleur info on.

Per Turner, I have modified the derailleur to remove the bottom pull portion of the bracket (this was remarkably easy to do - the material is a hard plastic and easy to sculpt with a dremel)

What's hanging me up a bit is that the X9 instructions say to try for a 3mm vertical clearance between the outer derailleur guide and the top of the outer ring. The seat tube design of the DW just doesn't allow this at all. I have the derailleur pushed down as far as it will go, and I've probably got about 11mm.

Is this going to be a issue? Is this consistent with what anyone else has in their X9 2x10 DW setups?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking there might be an issue w/the SRAM fr drllr working well w/all the Turner DW bikes. I went 2011 Shimano XTR (double specific) front derailleur on my DW Sultan and once we did the same mod you were talking about, everything shifted well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not any help, but set mine up with XX 2X10, have had no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My DW Sultan is set up with a SRAM X9 FD, driven by Shimano XT shifters, on a Shimano SLX double crank.

I didn't trim anything off the FD. I believe that instruction applies to Shimano FD's, not SRAM (or something has changed on SRAM -- my FD is around 4 years old).

The 3 mm dimension applies to setting things up with a triple. The clearance above the middle ring (or "outer" ring when running a double) is significantly more. I leave mine that way, since I throw a triple on the bike sometimes, and it shifts great that way.

Once you get your FD where you think you want it, it is worth unbolting the shock and cycling the suspension fully, to make sure the swingarm doesn't hit the FD as things bottom out (although that might only apply to the older TNT bikes).

Post back if you want me to measure the clearance between FD and middle ring. I'll run out into the garage ------ but only after I finish the morning coffee!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So, my new 2010 Sultan is being shipped next week. Are you saying if I go full XX there won't be a front der. problem? Also, will a front xtr work with XX trigger shifters?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been riding for 3 weeks with no problems at all - shifts great. I did break a tooth off of the large ring - if I was going to do this again, I might go with a spider capable of taking a bash guard. That's more of a 2x10 issue (breaking teeth on the big ring of a triple isn't that big of a deal). But it rides fine (better than fine actually - I am *loving* this bike).

1x1x21212 - yes, with a full XX setup all around, I have no problems - just take a dremel and carve off the bottom pull - post back if you need a photo of what it looks like. I can't comment on Shimano/SRAM compatibility on the front derailleur (I know they are not interchangeable for the rear, but never tried it on the front).

kosmo - the mod to the SRAM front derailleur was absolutely necessary for me - if you have a dual pull front derailleur, I recommend letting the air out of the shock and actuating the rear suspension through it's full travel - it would suck to not be getting the full travel on this frame. If you have a top pull, then there probably isn't an interference issue.