Outcast

X-post, 2007 Marzocchi

If you haven't allready seen it ove at the dh forum; http://www.nsmb.com/gear/marz07_06_06.php

The 66SL will have 140 to 180mm of travel adjust on the fly! No "maxle" for the 66 forks though. Looks like marzocchi is not going to let rockshok take them down without a fight.

Last edited by Renegade; 06-27-2006 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    OMG!!!!!!!!

I want, I want, I want!

Rene, is it similar to the Talas in that you can dial it to a specific travel and then just leave it, or a bit like the Zocchi's current ETA system?

Mfezi

Knomer
    No "custom decal kit" offered by Marzocchi?

Outcast
    All I know about it is what I read at the NSMB site, like you did. Sorry. I hope it's NOT like talus! I'd like to think that it works well.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    No "custom decal kit" offered by Marzocchi?
    Decals are for people who have a need to feel like part of a cult. Real men take all the stickers off!

Time is not a road.
    Looks 'spensive! Sort of like that RS stuff...I'm glad I've been holding out on the 20mm TA. This could be my year.

not so super...
    Where do I sign up?
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    I have no idea what the MSRP is going to be on the 66SL, but I'd bet it will be less than the totem.
    I hope the 66SL comes in black. Otherwise, my wife will have to know of my purchase! I've had 4 black marzocchi forks in the last couple years, as far as she knows, I've only had one. Another good reason to take all the stickers off; makes them look all the same.

SSINGA, did you get your SL back yet?

~~~~~~~~
    cool stuff.
    I'm liking the 888SL.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    cool stuff.
    I'm liking the 888SL.
    Did the article say 6.5 pounds for the 888SL? That's obscene! My super T weighs more than that!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I have no idea what the MSRP is going to be on the 66SL, but I'd bet it will be less than the totem.
    I hope the 66SL comes in black. Otherwise, my wife will have to know of my purchase! I've had 4 black marzocchi forks in the last couple years, as far as she knows, I've only had one. Another good reason to take all the stickers off; makes them look all the same.

SSINGA, did you get your SL back yet?
    Haven't been home to check - hopefully they just sent a new 66SL

The Rocco TST looks interesting too.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Did the article say 6.5 pounds for the 888SL? That's obscene! My super T weighs more than that!
    Yes and it has 170-200mm adj travel!
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmb about the 66SL
    The compression can be adjusted to ramp up nicely and in true Marzocchi fashion it's smooth and subtle off the top - an extremely rare trait in air forks. The end of the ride down from Santa Barbara appears to be a poorly maintained Roman road. There are steps and uneven rocks and boulders and the 66 SL ate everything up. I played with the ATA - Marzocchi's new travel adjust system that dials between 140 and 180mm and the fork performed beautifully at both extremes and in the middle. The adjustment knob is on top of the left crown and it's easy to reach - you can easily tweak it and stay in the saddle.

Lyric? What's a Lyric?

Interesting to note that the tires will now be made by Kenda and not Nokian, and will come in sticky rubber.

Last edited by tscheezy; 06-27-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Lyric? What's a Lyric?
    Exactly. Only two things about the lyric I'm curious about, the maxle, and the mission control damping. A maxle would be nice on the 66, but it's not a show stopper for me. I can take a wheel off pretty quick. The mission control damping? Will it be noticeable? We'll find out. I'm still a die-hard marzocchi fan who's having a hard time thinking about buying a rockshox fork. I know, they've changed, it's just a hard leap of faith for me.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Lyric? What's a Lyric?
    Werd!

If Zoke's managed to move the compression to the crown, then to hack with the RS... I know I like how a Zoke damper feels... and they keep getting better. A Lyric will be too much of an unknown in comparison...not to mention Zoke would have to be crazy to up the price of the 66s to RS's stratospheric relm if they're happy with their current MSRP.

But once again Zoke picks a color for lowers that only half the market could live with.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 06-27-2006 at 01:18 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    But once again Zoke picks the one color for lowers that only half the market could live with.
    I'd say chances are good that there will be a black version come the release date. My hopes anyway.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Yes and it has 170-200mm adj travel!
    best solution I've seen yet to my highline fork dilemma.
    170mm 66 is perfect for the 8.5x2.5 rear shock geo.
    180mm 66/totem/travis is likely to be too tall for the 8.5 and not tall enough for the 8.75.
    The ability to easily tweak the ride height for the terrain is very desirable.

I want a roco too...

Outcast
    Help me out here, I can never trust my monitor when it comes to color. Is the roco pictured below a different [ better!] color than this years?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if only maxel was industry standard. not a deal breaker as renny said, but oh my wouldnt that be nice!

now for some apples and oranges: playin with darrens pushed lyric was the full whammy! im far from a rs guy as most of ya well know but, damn! i think they killed this time around and with a nudge job, well..... perfection as far as i could tell.

my dance card is open for '07. the 66 rc is just too tall. workable but awfully tall. i know. you told me so.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Too Much Fun

The new RS gear needs battle testing before deployment

I'm still a die-hard marzocchi fan who's having a hard time thinking about buying a rockshox fork. I know, they've changed, it's just a hard leap of faith for me.
    WURD. The new RS gear looks pretty dope, but I'm loving my 66SL too much to look elseware, and I have yet to encounter a Marzo fork I haven't loved. Their track record is just really solid for me.

The other issue with the Lyric/Totem etc, is that they will all be rev#1 parts. I like buying at least half a season in when all the thrasher/basher/part destroyers have had their mitts on things and we begin to hear the war stories. Being an early adopter doesn't really float my boat with bike gear.
    - -benja- -

Leash Law Enforcer
    Hot dog! That review didn't mention stiction at all. Either those forks had been well broken in or Zoke figured out a way to get rid of it all together on their air forks. The travel adjust on the fly is really the only feature on this year's 66SL that I've been missing. Hearing all this talk about the Lyrik I was really concerned for Zoke, but it looks like they're stepping up to the plate!

Knomer
    Decals are for people who have a need to feel like part of a cult. Real men take all the stickers off!
    Agreed. That 66sl is the 1st "inappropriate" fork I could see myself hanging off the front of my Free.

Marzocchi asthetics and oil/coil damping have always been 2nd to none, and now it looks like their air systems are finally up to snuff.

Suddenly, the 07 Rock Shox lineup looks like it's 4 years old. But they have cool sticker kits for customization!

Anyone wanna buy an 05 works 888 with flat crown?

Too Much Fun

Its not just you.

Help me out here, I can never trust my monitor when it comes to color. Is the roco pictured below a different [ better!] color than this years?
    Its got more orange in it then this year's. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but you're right, its not the same color.
    - -benja- -

Outcast
    But they have cool sticker kits for customization!
    Yea, and they have their "tribal tattoo" stickers as well [crazy fred will probably buy a totem, just for that] but rockshox does not have........
    ......... The bomber girls:

Dusty, I'll give you 75 bucks for that POS triple 8.

Lay off the Levers

Line Up Lemmings...

Mine?

Last edited by Bikezilla; 06-27-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    but rockshox does not have........
    Neither does Zoke....

Quote Originally Posted by nsmb
    There was a curious shortage of silicone at this year's Marzocchi Sessions. For the first time no Marzocchi girls were present. Last year's pair were more high maintenance than Paris Hilton but they didn't share her affection for a good party. Surely this isn't the end of the bulbous breasted babes? Never fear. Fans of plastic surgery will be pleased to know that the new M girl hails from Argentina. I didn't see a spec sheet but based on leaked info she'll be complete with after market gel bags and heels with four inches of travel.
    ....yet.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    [
    Niiiice - still laughing!

Too Much Fun

Good job! Ahhhh.... The Bomber Girls!

Yea, and they have their "tribal tattoo" stickers as well [crazy fred will probably buy a totem, just for that] but rockshox does not have........

They are so tender with those beefy sliders!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    AM SL 1 for a 5 spot???

Is it air like the am sl or coil/air like the am forks?

Zoke confuses me at times, but will it be better than a pike 454, which looks a bit old skool already!

No, that's not phonetic
    The Pike u-turn air is the shizzle on the Spot, and I'm sorry but the new AM-1 forks are not going to change that. The new on-the-fly travel adjust of the air Zokes sounds great, but it will only approach parity with the Pikes. I don't think it will exceed anything.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 06-27-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    AM SL 1 for a 5 spot???

Is it air like the am sl or coil/air like the am forks?

Zoke confuses me at times, but will it be better than a pike 454, which looks a bit old skool already!
    It's an SL which means it's all air. It's got more travel than you need for a spot, and we don't know what the A/C measurement is yet, so......I don't know what to tell you.Looks nice though!
    Edit: I don't care too much for TST as a damping system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks tscheez, that may save me some dollar, but they look so sweeeeeeeeeeeet, way better than the pike, which I thought looked ace a week or so back!

mtbr member
    Oi Zilla that's my joke
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    I wish I was in the market for something new sometimes, but tbh It will be a few years before I wear out all the stuff I have already, and by then all the goal post's will have changed again.
    Stay off the brakes

trail fairy

This will go nicely on my project RFX which will white of course!
    Roco TST sounds interesting 2 with Ti spring yummy

tscheezy The Pike u-turn air is the shizzle on the Spot, and I'm sorry but the new AM-1 forks are not going to change that. The new on-the-fly travel adjust of the air Zokes sounds great, but it will only approach parity with the Pikes. I don't think it will exceed anything.
    tscheezy why do you say this PIKE vs AM, how do you reach this conclusion, stiffness, feel etc
    I have an AM on my spot and admitted the A2C is a little steep, but shes a dream to ride, I have thought of putting a Pike on to have the maxle more than anything but since the 07 AMs will have this I may wait and see if they have altered the A2C and any thing else..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 06-27-2006 at 05:55 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Now with flavor!!
    now it looks like their air systems are finally up to snuff.
    You can tell that from a press release? This year's still feel like poo to me.

Anyone wanna buy an 05 works 888 with flat crown?
    How much? Buy new stuff so I can get proven stuff for cheap.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    You can tell that from a press release? This year's still feel like poo to me.
    ...exactly which model are you referring to with that statement....just curious?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...exactly which model are you referring to with that statement....just curious?

The 66sl. I rode a demo bike with one and it felt just like the spongy elasomer feeling ones of old. I screwed around with the negative chamber a bit and the initial stroke felt good but didn't feel that different from their past offerings. Admittedly I don't have the time tinkering with them that an owner would. I wanted to check them out after all the reviews here and I know they have better bottom out resistance than the 36van I own.

I know that opinion is unpopular and that people dig those things but I just don't feel like any of their air forks hold a candle to the coils. Fox isn't great but they do feel better to me.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

FM
    mtbr member
    I gotta say I am "shocked" everybody is so ga-ga over the '07 rockshox stuff.

over $1000 for a rockshox fork? For a new product that has no reliability track record? WTF?

I'm still trying to figure out why everybody bought 66 SL's instead of ETA lights or RC2X's. Sorry if anybodies offended. I changed the oil in my Rc2x last night, man I love this fork- I won't need an upgrade for a few seasons. Seriously, this fork is mind-bogglingly plush. Not bad since I paid 1/3 the MSRP of the '07 rockshox totems!

Ponder this: soon you should be able to get NIB 2006 marzocchis cheap- probably $500-600 for the 66 rc2x.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm still trying to figure out why everybody bought 66 SL's instead of ETA lights or RC2X's. Sorry if anybodies offended.
    Hey! Watch it buddy!
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The 66sl. I rode a demo bike with one and it felt just like the spongy elasomer feeling ones of old. I screwed around with the negative chamber a bit and the initial stroke felt good but didn't feel that different from their past offerings. Admittedly I don't have the time tinkering with them that an owner would. I wanted to check them out after all the reviews here and I know they have better bottom out resistance than the 36van I own.

I know that opinion is unpopular and that people dig those things but I just don't feel like any of their air forks hold a candle to the coils. Fox isn't great but they do feel better to me.
    ...hmmmmm, well...interesting POV. I don't get that AT ALL with mine. I have owned nearly every better known Zocchi coil fork model over the years (from original Z1 series multiple times over to the famed 2002 Monster T damper) & I must say that the 66SL feels as good or better than any Z1 I have owned. It is hard to top the 2002 Monster as it was an animal of a fork & dampers moved gallons of oil However, the only complaint I would have made until recently was the stiction. Upon receipt of the serviced 66SL a couple weeks ago...I am simply blown away. The fork isn't even broken in yet & it feels better than the near year old Z1 Light I was riding in it's absence. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course...

FYI-the only difference between the SL & the light (66) is the one coil vs. air spring. The light has an ETA cart & the SL has the PAR (bottomout adjustment) otherwise they are the same. I have a hard time believing that anyone could really tell the difference once broken in. The RC2X on the other hand does have another damper cart & additional coil....I could fathom a discernable difference there.

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah I'm definitely comparing it to the rcx. That thing felt great. But like I said before, my experience with the sl was limited. But with how I could get it set, I wasn't too impressed.

I'm definitely open to more riding on one though. My van36 is in serious need of either a new bottom out cartridge the new ones come with or a replacement. I was on the fence when I got it, it wouldn't be too tough to knock me over towards a zoke. I've owned several as well. My big thing at the time was weight.

But anyway........wtf is up with 1.5 being OEM only on the new ones? Lame.

mtbr member
    A quick cut and paist but, AT LAST! Dang waterboy has an inside with Bryson Martin head of Zokes USA,

Quote:Hell has frozen over. I was gobsmacked when I heard that Marzocchi is producing a 1.5" steerer model 66 for 2007. Bryson Martin, president and CEO of Marzocchi USA, was extremely vocal in his opposition to this new standard when Manitou brought it to market but demand from frame manufacturers was such that they were left with little choice. In their own words 'we thought it would never happen.' The beer can-sized head tube allows designers to beef up the front end of their bikes due to a larger contact area between the headtube/toptube and seat tube. The big stick 66 won't be available in your LBS though - unless it's already attached to a bike. Another addition for 2007 is post mounts on almost every Marzocchi fork. Last year the Super T was axed and the Junior lived on. This year Jr. has been sent packing and the Super T is back without any major changes except that it will now be produced in Taiwan rather than Italy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Your super T already weighed more than the regular 888RC2x.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    oooh if only they were going to do the 1.5 steerer on after market forks, my highline is in the cellar crying at the thought of being stuck with shermans.........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I gotta say I am "shocked" everybody is so ga-ga over the '07 rockshox stuff.

over $1000 for a rockshox fork? For a new product that has no reliability track record? WTF?

I'm still trying to figure out why everybody bought 66 SL's instead of ETA lights or RC2X's. Sorry if anybodies offended. I changed the oil in my Rc2x last night, man I love this fork- I won't need an upgrade for a few seasons. Seriously, this fork is mind-bogglingly plush. Not bad since I paid 1/3 the MSRP of the '07 rockshox totems!

Ponder this: soon you should be able to get NIB 2006 marzocchis cheap- probably $500-600 for the 66 rc2x.
    I paid $540 for my 66 rc2x which I got directly from Marzocchi's H.O. in Valencia CA thru their upgrade program; in which I traded in my 8 month old '05 All Mountain 3 (acquired only for $235). Though I had to go back twice because of defects I had with the fork, it was paid off because Rony of Marzocchi did a wonderful job of tuning my fork based on my weight, riding style, terrain, & desired feel. He also gave me tips as to how to set the adjustments based on terrain. Seems like they did a WORKS tuning to my fork as it already feels super plush compared to when I first got it. Marzocchi has excellent customer service. I wouldn't mind paying them to tune my fork after 100 hrs. of riding because I think it's worth it!!!

He also told me as to how awesome the '07 lineup is going to be though he did say that the 66 rc2x ROCKS bigtime!!! He did advice me to consider the ROCO as it is so sweet in the downhill. I am seriously contemplating because my Swinger 6 way gives me a stable platform in the uphill, as I prefer riding and not pushing my bike uphill even if I am slow.

Outcast
    I can understand the very mixed impressions that exist regarding the '06 66SL. The one I owned for the last 6 months doesn't resemble the "fixed" one that I now have 5 hours on. The twisted lowers and too snug bushings/seals delivered a sub-par performance. The reworked fork is allready so much better than it's original form, and it's not even broken in yet. I think Marzocchi has done itself a disservice by not putting out a recall for anyone not satisfied with their SL. My two cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think Marzocchi has done itself a disservice by not putting out a recall for anyone not satisfied with their SL. My two cents.
    ...agreed. Better to admit the problem than have folks assume it is typical performance.

Baked Alaskan
    Well CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! With all the damn changes and the new RS forks I don't know what to get for the Spack. I'm running a Pike now and had settled on some 66SL kool-aid, but with these on the horizon it looks like waiting for the 07's or a closeout 06 is the way to go. I'm jittery about pulling the trigger since Marz always seems to have the new stuff out early, I don't want to see my fork for $200 less two weeks after I buy. Anyone know the release dates for these??? Damn the UGI, grrrrrr....
    Last edited by AK Chris; 06-28-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Well CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! With all the damn changes and the new RS forks I don't know what to get for the Spack. I'm running a Pike now and had settled on some 66SL kool-aid, but with these on the horizon it looks like waiting for the 07's or a closeout 06 is the way to go. I'm jittery about pulling the trigger since Marz always seems to have the new stuff out early, I don't want to see my fork for $200 less two weeks after I buy. Anyone know2 the release dates for these??? Damn the UGI, grrrrrr....
    Buy it now - worst case scenario is that you have to "frankenfork" the 07 left leg internal into an 06 66sl
    Nothing to see here.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Buy it now - worst case scenario is that you have to "frankenfork" the 07 left leg internal into an 06 66sl
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. The price (drop) is what gets me more than the travel adjust option, I had that on the Mav and never used it anyway. Other than the Spot, I never buy current model year stuff unless I score a great deal, and so far there aren't any GREAT deals on the 66's.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Living the Dream

Anyone know if the 66 SL is

adjustable between 140-180 mm. I mean can I dial it in at like 160mm? The NSMB article made it sound like it would be. Any word on price or weight yet?

Thanks
    JD
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Members who have read this thread: 0