No, that's not phonetic

WTB Dual Duty wheels: not as bad as I thought.

I got a set of Dual Duty (DD) wheels a year ago when they came on my demo Turner 6-Pack. After hearing the horror stories about Am Classic hubs (a lot of other Alaskans run those for some reason) I did not expect the DDs to survive a Kodiak winter. I ran them part of the time (I have a LOT of wheels) and they held up fine. I hate the cone-wrench bearing preload adjustment (total pita) and the fact that you are supposed to leave a bit of slop in the bearings just rubs me the wrong way (I like a "tight" bike with no tapping or slop), but after much adjusting I found a reasonable setting and set out to wear the wheels out so I could toss them with a clear conscience and put wheels on I had more confidence in. I live in coastal Alaska and it is VERY wet here. I ride in the rain and wet snow half the year and this place eats bearings for breakfast.

I broke one spoke nipple on the front wheel in the spring somehow. The head sheared off. I heard the spoke head rattling in the rim for about two weeks before I figured out what had happened (I did not suspect anything was broken because the rim stayed true and the nipple shaft was long enough not to flop out of the ferrule). The rim stayed true despite riding with the busted spoke nip which amazed me. The rims are actually quite impressively stiff and strong. 30mm wide and about 570g each. Not bad.

I just got back from a 3-week Utah trip where I figured I'd finish the wheels off. We rode a LOT of rock drops, pounded down all the classic rim-busting rides, and generally treated our scooters like rented step-children.

Other than a good wreck on Slickrock, the rims stayed true, and no more nipples sheared. Well, when I got home I totally disassembled the front and rear hubs expecting to find dust and crunchy bearings. Not a bit of it. The bearings were totally contaminant free and pretty smooth. The freehub had sort of dark grey grease but this is common for that area of the hub (King, DT, and other systems end up with dark grease too), and there was no sign of water or dirt. Cool. I repacked all the bearings (which you can do without pulling them out- a feature I REALLY appreciate) put it all back together. I still don't care for the cone-wrench adjustment. I figure I may get another year or maybe more out of the wheels. Even if the hubs went tango-uniform, I really like the rims and would consider buying more or rebuilding the current ones.

Anyway, these are actually exceeding my expectations at this point. They are light for a FR wheelset and impressively strong so far.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you're lucky, I don't like them at all - the freehub is not performing correctly (it does that chain-catching thing) which is annoying - I keep snapping spokes (two so far) - and like you, I didn't figure the spoke thing out for a while - I just heard a piece of something rolling around inside the wheel for a few rides, before I finally checked each spoke & one pulled free at the hoop....

Bite Me.
    Coming from the uber-breaker of parts, that quite a fine report Tscheez.... I've had nothing but good results from the WTB Laserdisc hubs I've been using for the last 2 years with both the Mavic 717 rims and Velocitys. I think WTB's versions of the Am Classic hubs may actually be better than the Am Classic versions, based on the number of reports I've read. WTB also made some pretty substantial improvements to the hubs in 2004/2005, beefed up the pawl ratchets I believe and improved the bearings. Now watch out, after posting a good review, there is probably a major blow-up on the horizon.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    you're lucky, I don't like them at all - the freehub is not performing correctly (it does that chain-catching thing) which is annoying - I keep snapping spokes (two so far) - and like you, I didn't figure the spoke thing out for a while - I just heard a piece of something rolling around inside the wheel for a few rides, before I finally checked each spoke & one pulled free at the hoop....
    Send an email off to WTB if you have the bronze coloured rear freehub. They will replace it, along with some of the inners with a green coloured freehub that has fixed this problem. I had several issues, but WTB made it right, and I'm enjoying the wheels as much as Mr. Cheezy.

BL
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Now watch out, after posting a good review, there is probably a major blow-up on the horizon.
    I was just about to say the same thing. As soon as Tscheezy likes a product look out, a recall and/or high failure rate can't be far behind. Remember the Nixon. Looked like a great fork, but as soon as Tscheezy decided he liked it, none of them ever worked properly.
    Riding slowly since 1977.