Living the Dream

wtb 2.55 LT weir wolf or Kenda 2.35 Small Block 8

I am looking for a new rear tire for my 5 Pack. I use a nevegal 2.5 up front. I looking at giving the weir wolfs a try unless I hear some bad reviews. Let me know if anyone has tried or heard reviews of these two tires.

Thanks
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

not so super...
    I was thinking about getting the WTB 2.55LT Weirwolf also but was talked out of it. I ordered a set of Schwalbe Big Bettys instead. Hopefully they show up tomorrow and I can ride them these weekend and give some feedback before you order.
    Nothing to see here.

Living the Dream

Why were you talked out of them?

Mark Weir is kind of my biking idol & I was born & raised in NORCAL so Iike supporting WTB when I can. I have enjoyed Mutano Raptors as rear tires in the past and so I figured I would give Weir Wolf LT a try. I also have good luck running WTBs tubeless with homebrew slime.
    However, I will continue to use Kenda Nevegals as my front tire of choice.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

not so super...
    Maybe that was a bad choice of words. I wasn't so much talked out of the WW LT as I was sold on the BB. A friend got a set of the BB 3 weeks ago and has had good results in our terrain with them. The BB also has a little more of a heavy duty sidewall. Plus they are freakin huge for a 2.4
    Nothing to see here.

Committed
    I just took my first ride on the small block 8 yesterday. I loved the fast roll and traction was very good (dusty hardpack and lots of rock) but the first rockgarden put several holes in the tire. I run the nevegal 2.35 up front and have not had any issues, maybe it was bad luck or maybe the lighter wieght an smaller knobs don't offer the same durability. I liked the way the 8 performed enough to try it again, we will see if it holds up this afternoon.

Bodhisattva
    I'm also digging the Big Bettys. Running them F & R. A bit heavy but roll better than the Nevegals and near impossible to pinch flat with those stout sidewalls. I'm running them around 28 psi F & R.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

not so super...
    WW LT 2.55 pics and info here

Nothing to see here.

Flyin Canine
    picked up a 2.55 LT Team FR last week. Have not had a chance to ride it yet. I shied away from the Schwalbe's because the guy at the sea otter said that they were discontinuing the pinchflat protection in most of theri tires. I think I was looking at the big jim and king jim thought and not the big betty. The weirwolf LT is only ~800gms btw, verified on 2 diff scales.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Mark Weir is kind of my biking idol & I was born & raised in NORCAL so Iike supporting WTB when I can. I have enjoyed Mutano Raptors as rear tires in the past and so I figured I would give Weir Wolf LT a try. I also have good luck running WTBs tubeless with homebrew slime.
    However, I will continue to use Kenda Nevegals as my front tire of choice.
    I have been running Mutanos (F&R) for the last few weeks. Granted they're my first tires larger than 2.1 but I LOVE the things. No idea how they'll hold up over time but they are cushy, light, fast rolling, and have loads of traction.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Silence and Thunder...
    Maybe this will help a little...

Kenda Small Block 8 - first impressions...
    ...every day sends future to past...

... I guess you won't be
    I just slapped a 2.5 WTB Timberwolf DNA on the front of my spot, and in REAL DIRT, these tires impress the hell out of me...the grip is a quantum leap improved over the geax sturdy 2.25 I was running previously......I'm practically dragging my elbows thru the turns with these grippers....

The knobs are kinda soft and are taller than the Weirwolf, but the grip,,,oh the grip......anyone else try these out in anything other than dirt trails?
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

DGC
    mtbr member

Wink 2.3 T-i-m-b-e-r

Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I just slapped a 2.5 WTB Timberwolf DNA on the front of my spot, and in REAL DIRT, these tires impress the hell out of me...the grip is a quantum leap improved over the geax sturdy 2.25 I was running previously......I'm practically dragging my elbows thru the turns with these grippers....

The knobs are kinda soft and are taller than the Weirwolf, but the grip,,,oh the grip......anyone else try these out in anything other than dirt trails?
    I did run the 2.3 Timberwolfs last fall, good in the loose dirt for sure, but on slab granite they washed a little with such tall knobs folding over. Overall very good.
    I think the 2.35 Kenda Neve looks much more the soft dirt tire than the 2.55 WTB WW LT does.

... I guess you won't be
    not much slab granite here in michigan....I really like the timberwolf and am looking into getting a smaller one for the back....

DGC
    mtbr member

Michiganian?

Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    not much slab granite here in michigan....I really like the timberwolf and am looking into getting a smaller one for the back....
    I did know you were there. I came from there 15 years ago. Used to ride a bit up on Mackinac Island, Petoskey etc.
    If you did that 2.5 up front, just put a 2.3 Timber on the rear. Mega traction for Michigan dirt i would think.

Ahh yes Mackinac island, riding there was fun when I was a kid but the rentals kinda sucked. Only time I have ever ridden a tandem, but that was years ago...

Joker,
    Where in MI are you? I have to come home for a wedding in July - gonna be in the Detroit metro area (New Baltimore) I was debating whether or not to bring my bike. I would if I could hook with some people for a couple rides.

Cheers
    Chris

banned
    2.35 Nevegal singleply with DTC compound

on a routine expedition
    I noticed the Big Bettys come in two compounds. Are most of you getting the softer compound? I'm wondering how the wear rate on the soft compound compares to the Kenda Stick-E compound.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    I noticed the Big Bettys come in two compounds. Are most of you getting the softer compound? I'm wondering how the wear rate on the soft compound compares to the Kenda Stick-E compound.
    I got 2 of the Gooey Gluey and if they don't show up at my desk in the next hour someone is gettin' hurt.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I got 2 of the Gooey Gluey and if they don't show up at my desk in the next hour someone is gettin' hurt.
    Time's up tough guy. Did you kick anyone's ass yet?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Time's up tough guy. Did you kick anyone's ass yet?
    they came in!
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    they came in!
    Whew! I bet your entire office is glad too. They've been walking on pins and needles all day, wondering if they were gonna get whupped!

Bodhisattva
    I'm running both my Bettys gooey but may switch the rear to OCR if it wears quickly.

The sidewalls on these things are so sturdy that I can easily run pressures in the 20's without fear of pinch flatting. At that pressure traction advantages of the softer gooey compound over OCR should be minimal. I've run the OCR on a rear Fat Albert and it still hooks up real well.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

... I guess you won't be
    CDtofer -

I'm in Plymouth....thats on the west side of the metro area....new baltimore is waaay on the east side [that area is flat as a pancake since it's close to the big lake....so you'll need a car to get to the good stuff]. I do most of my riding in the western metro area - Pontiac Lake, Island Lake Rec, Brighton Rec, Potowotomi, Ann Arbor local stuff, etc....the trails closest to New Baltimore are probably Bald Mtn, Addison Oaks, Stoney Creek metropark, Bloomer....

check out www.mmba.org for rides and trail locations - the BB is as active there as it is here.....but do bring the bike, lotsa good trails

I'm definitely going to p'up a 2.3 Timberwolf......

not so super...
    Alpenglow - if you want a bigger tire get the Big Betty. More info on why in my ride report later.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing the Small Block as a possible new rear tire for a while now. Does anyone actually own one yet?