mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Would you want a new TNT Turner ?

I know I would.
    I mean, if they were still available, at the original price that it.
    Not that I have anything against DW Turners, I would love to own one but can't afford them.
    I was thinking it would be nice if the TNT line would continue next to the DW's.
    Like Santa Cruz still make the Hecklers & Superlight as cheaper options to those who can't afford or don't want VPP .
    Just a thought.

mtbr member
    I would too for reasons I have already stated on these boards. I just think all these new-fangled suspension designs (DW, VPP, etc.) ride worse that the good-old horst link or even the TNT faux-bar designs. Call me old-fashioned but that's what I think.

mtbr member
    I would buy one too, great price point for a second bike.

How about an 08 rfx tnt with a 1.5 headtube or even tapered ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After spending a lot of time on the DW Sultan, it would be hard to go back to the less supple, less efficient TNT Sultan. I could make it work for an endurance racing bike, but a 4-inch DW 29er would be even more desirable (hint, hint, DT). For rougher duty, there just isn't any comparison between the two.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    A few reasons why not:
    1. Further subdividing your production and sales #s per unit does not lead to profit. Just look at Santa Cruz. They brought back the single pivot line and had it made overseas for cheap. They sold poorly and had to be closed out to Backcountry.
    3. We've had a number of DW Turners on sale for a while at Go-ride.com. I believe they are down to $1900. All the guys who keep saying, "If only the price was cheaper", still aren't calling. Let's face it people are spending very cautiously, even on the deals.
    4. Different riders like different performance characteristics of their bike. Some preferred the very active feel of the HL or TNT bike, but others realized how much faster the snappier DW bikes are. If you did not like the DW you tested it was most likely the setup. From what Iíve seen most Turner owners have spent a lot of time and $ perfecting the feel of their existing bike. When you have it dialed in like that any different bike will feel foreign. I've owned at least 20 FS bikes and the DW Turners are excellent and IMO better in every way than HL or TNT style bikes.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Moosehead
    Should anyone want to trade their L DWL for either my TNT Flux or HL Spot, I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Should anyone want to trade their DW RFX for my TNT RFX I'm all ears.....yes, I'm from the FAR future

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    I would buy one too, great price point for a second bike.

How about an 08 rfx tnt with a 1.5 headtube or even tapered ?

why not just get a banshee wildcard? tnt rear end with a 1.5 ht and some serious standover. $1700 new retail plus banshee has awesome customer service as well. also has dual travel rockers and iscg tabs. 5" or 6.5" of travel with a 7.875x2.25 stroke shock. it's everything you're after.

http://www.bansheebikes.com/wildcard.html
    Last edited by qbert2000; 03-17-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    why not just get a banshee wildcard?
    Rocker does not utilize 3d/taper design like turner and a few other bikes, this requires a very long shock bolt, and in my experience, leads to bent bolts and quicky trashed shock bushings. I'll never buy a bike again that has such a design, as I bent the bolts on ALL the bikes that I've owned with such designs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Rocker does not utilize 3d/taper design like turner and a few other bikes, this requires a very long shock bolt, and in my experience, leads to bent bolts and quicky trashed shock bushings. I'll never buy a bike again that has such a design, as I bent the bolts on ALL the bikes that I've owned with such designs.

never had an issue with that on my knolly endorphin and i've never heard that complaint from guys on knolly dts or v tachs. those bikes all use long shock bolts and straight rockers. i think the high leverage ratio on the older designs from some manufacturers did play a big part in that. there are still a ton of heavy duty bikes out there using long bolts and straight rockers with no issues. i think 6" of travel with a 2" stroke shock is more of an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Never had a wildcard shock bolt bend to my knowledge...
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Rocker does not utilize 3d/taper design like turner and a few other bikes, this requires a very long shock bolt, and in my experience, leads to bent bolts and quicky trashed shock bushings.

This......
    otherwise that seems like a great option, I will admit I have become a Banshee fan since the Paradox hit the market and may pick one of those up for a 1x9 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    This......
    otherwise that seems like a great option, I will admit I have become a Banshee fan since the Paradox hit the market and may pick one of those up for a 1x9 29er

after riding my knolly with a long bolt, i have no fear of non 3d rockers. the knollys are designed to take some serious abuse. the dt and vtach are way above the older rfx in terms of durability and i'v never heard anyone complain about bent shock bolts on a knolly or on the banshee forum. these bikes are designed for the bc shore so durability is huge. the xc trails up there are considered freeride in a lot of other parts of north america. with te leverage ratios they are running, the bolt should not be an issue at all. if someone can post up a knolly or banshee with a bent or broken bolt, i'll concede it's possible but still very unlikely.

mtbr member
    After riding a few mini link type bikes I am sold - I have the DW link Spot which I love but if I wanted a more gnar core ride I would look at a Reign X, Rune or Firebird if the DW RFX is shelved for a while....I wouldn't go with a TNT Turner - been there, done that (4 times). A Rune for example with an Elka can be had for way less than a TNT RFX was sold for with a RP23. Going back to TNT would be like getting rid of disc brakes and putting Vs back on IMHO.

Gravity Rides Everything
    I love my TNT turner, especially at the price they were going for.

that said, i doubt they could be brought back at the same price point given the economy and stuff.