GAME ON!

would you strip this frame?

here's my dilemma. i bought this frame when crc cleared them out last year. i originally had ordered a raw, only to have it cancelled because it was suddenly out of stock. the only other option was the charcoal. i never loved it and was considering sending to turner for a repaint. however, it's hard to justify $300-400 to repaint something that is essentially brand new. i can strip it myself so it becomes a slightly more appealing option.

my question is; will the bike shred gnar moar faster/better with paint or without? is the factory raw finish identical to what i might expect to see by stripping? can i win the trailhead bike parade with a raw bike over this one:

what would YOU do with a frame colour you don't love?

a) nothing. suck it up
    b) repaint
    c) OMG RAW BRO
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Give Olympic Powder Coating a call. They can strip it for cheap and repaint it if you like as well.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    Give Olympic Powder Coating a call. They can strip it for cheap and repaint it if you like as well.
    i'd have no reason not to send it to turner. they'll do it for $300 and put decals and whatnot.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    B or C

Life's too short, make it what you want it to be

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm on the same boat. I purchased a '10 Sangria Spot. Not really feeling the color.

Unfortunately, there are no chemical dips where I live - which means I have to do it myself. And we don't have that Aircraft Stripper that people recommend as well.

Let me know how it goes for you should you decide to raw it! Been wanting a raw front and black rear tri on mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i'd have no reason not to send it to turner. they'll do it for $300 and put decals and whatnot.
    Just curious, what does the $300 included from Turner. The reason why I recommended Olympic is because they did all of Turner's powder coating for years. They know these frames well. If you deal with them directly, you might be able to save a buck or two. Turner is going to send it to Olympic anyways.

I vote for raw!

Bikes are good

That one looks...

pretty cool.

I have a green fat tire winter bike, and I hate the color. Off a warranty, it is what they had. I'm over it now, and rarely think about the color. A cool snow camo paint job on it would be sick. Damn, I'm going to do that. Wait, I was fine with green. I'm fine. Green, is just fine.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    Just curious, what does the $300 included from Turner. The reason why I recommended Olympic is because they did all of Turner's powder coating for years. They know these frames well. If you deal with them directly, you might be able to save a buck or two. Turner is going to send it to Olympic anyways.

I vote for raw!
    they'd be removing and reinstalling the bearings and putting new decals on as well as filling in a small dent in the toptube. for $100 more they'll replace all the bearings and headbadge etc. $100 cheaper to not do the rear tri.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    FWIW I spoke to Greg about going raw on my warranty repair Sangria Red flux. He said it is not a good idea to go raw after a frame has been powder coated. That the finish will not be like that of an original raw frame. Can't remember all the reasons why. Give him a call if you want more details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Strip it and polish it out. HOTT!
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

No Stranger to danger....
    i like it how it is, it looks slick
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Crazed Country Rebel
    here's my dilemma. i bought this frame when crc cleared them out last year. i originally had ordered a raw, only to have it cancelled because it was suddenly out of stock. the only other option was the charcoal. i never loved it and was considering sending to turner for a repaint. however, it's hard to justify $300-400 to repaint something that is essentially brand new. i can strip it myself so it becomes a slightly more appealing option.

my question is; will the bike shred gnar moar faster/better with paint or without? is the factory raw finish identical to what i might expect to see by stripping? can i win the trailhead bike parade with a raw bike over this one:

what would YOU do with a frame colour you don't love?

a) nothing. suck it up
    b) repaint
    c) OMG RAW BRO
    Stripping powder coat is a chore. It's really a PITA. But it would look pretty good. I stripped my foes and then brushed it with steel wool and it looks great. Would be a good match for your fork.

And bare aluminum is super low maint. Just take some metal polish to it whenever you feel like, for a fresh, clean look.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would just ride it, I've got enough stuff to work on and doing a good job of stripping and brushing a frame would be no fun, how often do you look at your bike while riding it anyway...

GAME ON!
    it can be a long, hard winter in the great white north. lots of time to tinker.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Crazed Country Rebel
    it can be a long, hard winter in the great white north. lots of time to tinker.
    Yep, I did mine over a couple rainy days.

Specialized sucks dong

GAME ON!
    although i was under the impression that it is just paint rather than powdercoat? i believe the crown of my fork was powdercoated and i managed to take that off. it was a pain in the ass.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Crazed Country Rebel
    although i was under the impression that it is just paint rather than powdercoat? i believe the crown of my fork was powdercoated and i managed to take that off. it was a pain in the ass.
    turner uses powder coating. The tubes are relateively easy, but the CNC'd bits are a pain.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As mentioned above, Olympic Powder Coat will repaint for $70, they have repainted 2 of my Turners, both looked great initially but the paint does not hold up for me. Not enough clear coat, hardener, dry time, I don't know. Like the charcoal color but I bet you will go to town on your frame this winter.

mtbr member
    Actually, don't really have any opinion on stripping (actually, I like strippers but that is another story) but the bike looks really nice built up. Kinda mean and menacing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I quite like how it looks as is, but I also very much like raw frames.

If it was mine, I ride it get some wear and tear going and when it starts to look tatty or need some bearing replaced I then raw it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I say pull the Turner sticker off and see if more of the color you hate makes it look cleaner. I don't like too many graphics.
    You could also, use PlastiDip in a spray can. The flat black looks sick and people do car trim and wheels all the time. If you don't like it just peel it off, and there is no prep but just clean it and you could get away with just pull the components off. They also have a few ither colors, but I think black is the best. ANd you don'tt have to strip it and you can touch it up as youneed ans it takes no talent to spray it to look good. Look up what others have done online, oh its rubberized and if you mask it you may need a razor blade to get the tape to come off clean, as it shrinks a little to stay in place and overspray on tape stays attached to theregular coated area a little bit. THe smoke color may be close to raw....
    Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    turner uses powder coating. The tubes are relateively easy, but the CNC'd bits are a pain.
    here's what it looks like if you remove the PC and brush with steel wool.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ride it