mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Would you buy a Flux without the extra gusset?

It seems like there have been very few frame failures on the flux, however if you were looking buy a used one, or at least new old stock from a non dealer (In other words no official claim to warranty, even though Tuner's CS is well known and may take care of you anyway) would that make you shy away from the purchase?

Certainly all frames can break, but would you be more nervous knowing that not only did some frames break in a certain area, but that an additional gusset was added to this area on later models.

Todd,
    What size is the frame? It seems that most that had problems were large or XL size. If you are a big guy looking at a larger size frame then maybe I would have some reservation, but I don't think I would have any at all on the smaller sizes. Even still Turner cs is legendary for a reason and if its NOS than you will be able to register it on Turner's website. I don't think you will have any reason to worry.

Cheers,
    Chris

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    go forth young man. no warranty issues here. hell, even i 1st run flux has a year left and a trade in credit of $600 forever.
    No, I'm NOT back!

tg
    mtbr member

Do Not Wait!

THE FLUX IS THE BEST XC / TRAIL BIKE I HAVE EVER THROWN A LEG OVER! YOU WILL LOVE IT! I RIDE CO.,UTAH AND AZ. THE BIKE IS AMAZING DAVID WILL TREAT YOU RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT. t.g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

word! there is none higher.

even better news: krispy from go-ride-dawt-calm just posted last night sayin hes got some '06 fluxes left and my guess is cheap. the diff between it and the '07 is basically color. '07's have been delayed due to a vendors error, speakin of color.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Captain Underpants
    Extra gusset? You mean the taco at the seat tube junction, or at the shock thingie? Does the 07 XL Come with one? I have an XL 06 and have had no issues with it whasoever, and I'm a big guy. Jarrret indicated that they have a few big guy s on XL fluxes and they have had NO issues . . . So I would say go for it.

ride
    I would not hesitate. I had one, sold it, and it's still going strong. Turner's customer service is second to none.

If you do have hesitations about it, though, '06 models are still available at disounted rates. The main diff between the '06 and the '07 is the color and shock. I've put a few RP23s on '06 bikes for folks that like the polished '06 look better, too. For what it's worth, there are some '06 Spots available, too - call your local Turner dealer if you want one!
    Last edited by ignazjr; 01-11-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The only reason I'd even think twice about it is the fact that I'm not a small guy and I broke my seat tube right there at the junction with the TT on my Gary Fisher hard tail. But a Gary Fisher is not a Turner and neither is their CS.

I'd pull the trigger, but only if the deal is better than the '06 models that are getting blown out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TLud
    I'd pull the trigger, but only if the deal is better than the '06 models that are getting blown out right now.
    there never be a deal better than the '06 flux right now. ever. find and buy my friends!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    there never be a deal better than the '06 flux right now. ever. find and buy my friends!
    I've caught wind of some sweet deals out there right now, and it almost gave me buyer's remorse until I remembered the last 6 months of scraping the orange anno off my frame. Definitely worth the extra coin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've heard of some great deals on several bikes/brands right now, Flux included. I'd personally buy new at these prices.

i cant believe i dont have the cash for a flux. id buy in a heartbeat if i did. i cant begin to tell ya how much i miss tina.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i cant believe i dont have the cash for a flux. id buy in a heartbeat if i did. i cant begin to tell ya how much i miss tina.
    I hear ya. I can't believe how much I miss my Flux when I can't ride it, even when it's sitting out in the garage.

Side issue: Am I a cold-hearted bastard for not having named my Flux?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not really, since only chicks and sissies name their bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Not really, since only chicks and sissies name their bikes
    If you're going to insult Davide you should at least have the decency to do it in a thread praising the latest carbon-gizmo suspension design du jour so he'll be sure to see it.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Would you buy a Flux with out an extra gusset.?

No, but I would by a gusset with out an extra Flux.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    It seems like there have been very few frame failures on the flux, however if you were looking buy a used one, or at least new old stock from a non dealer (In other words no official claim to warranty, even though Tuner's CS is well known and may take care of you anyway) would that make you shy away from the purchase?
    I've got one of the early large frames without the extra gusset on the seat tube and while the photos of similar frames being broken had me concerned for a while, its a bit of a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

If you are concerned about a used bike maybe look at the style of rider you are buying it from. Some people can break anything, whereas others can make theirs last forever.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Extra gusset? You mean the taco at the seat tube junction, or at the shock thingie? Does the 07 XL Come with one? I have an XL 06 and have had no issues with it whasoever, and I'm a big guy. Jarrret indicated that they have a few big guy s on XL fluxes and they have had NO issues . . . So I would say go for it.
    I have an '06 XL Flux and broke the frame just above the lower shock mount. No worries, Turnerbikes sent me a new frame within days without seeing the old one. I did not notice any added gussets on the new frame however.

At 250lbs and 6'4" I meet the clydesdale requirements but hopefully the frame woes are behind me
    Last edited by bentfork; 01-17-2007 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Warranty

We have a three (3) year transferable warranty on all the trail bikes. Flux to Highline. If it breaks we take care of it. We do ask you get the original receipt to determine age.

Now, keep in mind if you want to fly like PSI get a Spot.

DT

mtbr member
    Just a question for you DT...

Do you think the Flux in an XL is the right choice for a 6'4" 250 lbs rider? Is the Sasquatch version just bigger or a little more stiff or burly? I do mostly XC and no big drops.

Further I was very impressed with the warranty service when I needed it. Thanks again...
    Last edited by bentfork; 01-21-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0