Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wished you had got a medium?

Any 6" tall 5 Large Spot owners wishing they had purchased a medium?

mtbr member
    May 2004

No. Large just right for me

and I'm 6ft

Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Nope

I'm a hair over 6' with long legs. Can't imagine the amount of seat post I'd show on a medium.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and riding a large 6-pack. when I was building it I thought it looked huge. feels perfect on the trails though. Think the medium would be too small.

mtbr member

Quite the opposite

Had a medium for 3 years - it was too small, but it was fun... now on a large and it rocks.

I'm 5' 11" with long legs for my height.
    'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    I am 5'9" and Medium is perfect, I built one for my friend and he is 6'1" and he is more than happy with the large.

What's the problem?
    We haven't got all the details!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    I am 5'9" and Medium is perfect, I built one for my friend and he is 6'1" and he is more than happy with the large.

What's the problem?
    We haven't got all the details!
    Prof,

I'm 6' tall and looking at buying a used 5 spot frame. The bikes I have ridden in the last 7 years have had effective TT lenghts between 23.25" and 23.5" and this has almost always felt perfect. I understand the meduim stop has a 23" TT and the large has a 24" TT so I am kind of stuck in the middle.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I'm just under 6' and a large fits me just right. Before I had a large Superlight I don't know what the TT length is on that, I'm also running a shorter stem on the Spot as the trails I ride have some steep downhill sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    ... on a large and it rocks.
    I'm 5' 11" with long legs for my height.
    Same for me.

Do It Yourself
    I'm also a normal 6' and wouldn't think of riding a medium. I had a medium 2001 Switchblade with a 23" top tube. I put a layback post and 120mm stem on it and it was still a bit cramped. I've tried the medium Tracer at 23" with layback and 120mm, also too tight. I had another Titus, the Hammerhead 100-X for 4+ years. 23.5" TT, 120mm stem, straight post centered on the rails. Fit perfect. I'm now riding a Large 5 Spot with 110mm stem and straight post, seat pushed back on the rails. Works well but I still need to play with my seat position. The Turners have steep seat tube angles pushing you forward. It's not really working for me and I might need a setback post to get my kops better.

Don't even give the medium a second thought. If you want the 5 Spot, get the large.
    Long Live Long Rides

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    I'm also one of those 'stuck in between sizes' people. At 5'11" I thought my old large hardtail frame had me too stretched out. Both my Burner and Spot are medium frames with a 110x5 stem and straight post. I like the feel of a smaller bike, so the medium is working for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Prof,

I'm 6' tall and looking at buying a used 5 spot frame. The bikes I have ridden in the last 7 years have had effective TT lenghts between 23.25" and 23.5" and this has almost always felt perfect. I understand the meduim stop has a 23" TT and the large has a 24" TT so I am kind of stuck in the middle.
    Ok, just a personal opinion but the large would be my choice then stick a 90mm stem on it. I take it you have actually found a Medium secondhand.

Post up a new thread for a test ride ?

Hope you get something to suit you

on a routine expedition
    I'll echo what a couple others have said. I'm 5' 11" with a 33.25" inseam, and I'm very happy on a large, both on the Spot and Pack. On the Spot I used a 100mm stem and on the Pack I'm running a 70mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Prof,

Yep. You need a large. I'm only 5' 8.5" and I'm right between sizes with a 32.5"inseam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I've tried the medium Tracer at 23" with layback and 120mm, also too tight.
    Don't even give the medium a second thought. If you want the 5 Spot, get the large.

I had a medium Tracer for several years with a 120mm stem - it was a tad short.

Just another FOC'er
    I'm 5'11", 34 inseam, and have a large Spot with a 50mm stem as well as a medium Pack with a 45mm stem. Yeah, I like short stems, despite years of riding 120mm+ and having a 6'5" reach.

The main reason I wouldn't consider the medium Spot is the 17" seattube. I'd have way too much seatpost showing with that setup. BTW, the med Pack is 18.5", which is pretty much an optimal length seattube for me.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I'm also 5'11" and on a large Spot. For years I rode a medium XCE, which basically is dimensioned the same as a medium Spot. However, I rode it with a 135mm stem, had an inch of spacers under it, and used a 400mm seatpost. It took me years to realize how biased over the handlebars I really was, hence the "endo" handle. The day after long rides I'd have sore triceps from the cramped feeling, trying to push myself back to stretch out.

The large with a 110 stem is a great fit! I can't see myself on a smaller bike again. Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I'm also a normal 6' and wouldn't think of riding a medium. I had a medium 2001 Switchblade with a 23" top tube. I put a layback post and 120mm stem on it and it was still a bit cramped. I've tried the medium Tracer at 23" with layback and 120mm, also too tight. I had another Titus, the Hammerhead 100-X for 4+ years. 23.5" TT, 120mm stem, straight post centered on the rails. Fit perfect. I'm now riding a Large 5 Spot with 110mm stem and straight post, seat pushed back on the rails. Works well but I still need to play with my seat position. The Turners have steep seat tube angles pushing you forward. It's not really working for me and I might need a setback post to get my kops better.

Hey Homebrew,

I'm in your camp with regard to the 5-spot geometry and KOPS. For the record, I'm 6'; with a 34" inseam. Originally I built it up with a straight shaft Thomson and 120mm stem. It felt like the bike was shoving me forward into a really awkward position. I swapped out the stem for a 90mm and got an FSA SL220 post with about a 1.5" setback (no more RaceFace XY's to be found). It has totally transformed the ride. I can run the saddle in the middle of the rails and the whole bike feels less nose heavy. Climbing has not suffered one bit. I'd recommend doing the same.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Looks like large is the way to go. What size seat post does the spot use?

Do It Yourself
    Looks like large is the way to go. What size seat post does the spot use?
    It's a 27.2mm. I have a 410 length but you only need a 330.
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Hey Homebrew,

I'm in your camp with regard to the 5-spot geometry and KOPS. For the record, I'm 6'; with a 34" inseam. Originally I built it up with a straight shaft Thomson and 120mm stem. It felt like the bike was shoving me forward into a really awkward position. I swapped out the stem for a 90mm and got an FSA SL220 post with about a 1.5" setback (no more RaceFace XY's to be found). It has totally transformed the ride. I can run the saddle in the middle of the rails and the whole bike feels less nose heavy. Climbing has not suffered one bit. I'd recommend doing the same.

Best of luck.
    Hey thanks for the testimonial. I'll try some other setups and hopefully it will improve.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    I'll echo what a couple others have said. I'm 5' 11" with a 33.25" inseam, and I'm very happy on a large, both on the Spot and Pack. On the Spot I used a 100mm stem and on the Pack I'm running a 70mm.
    interesting. you like more stretch in your position, it seems.

I'm 5'10" with 32.5" inseam and long arms (35" sleeve length).

my 5-Spot and 6-Pack both are Medium.

100mm stem on Spot

85mm stem on Pack

Pack originally had 70mm stem but the 85mm stem enables better front wheel traction in high speed cornering, so I'm sticking with it

Spot had 90mm stem for a few rides but the 100mm stem gives the same improved high speed cornering

but in the end it really depends on your personal preference. I'm sure I could ride a Large in both models and be happy. I like the feel of a smaller bike when descending though.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    interesting. you like more stretch in your position, it seems.

I'm 5'10" with 32.5" inseam and long arms (35" sleeve length).

my 5-Spot and 6-Pack both are Medium.

100mm stem on Spot

85mm stem on Pack

Pack originally had 70mm stem but the 85mm stem enables better front wheel traction in high speed cornering, so I'm sticking with it

Spot had 90mm stem for a few rides but the 100mm stem gives the same improved high speed cornering

but in the end it really depends on your personal preference. I'm sure I could ride a Large in both models and be happy. I like the feel of a smaller bike when descending though.
    You do have some long arms. Do you even have to bend over to tie your shoes?

I went back and forth for a while before I decided on the large for the Spot. I think in the end I liked the longer wheelbase of the large. Same for the Pack, but it was much closer. I've run a 50mm stem on the Pack, which was nice for descents, but the climbing and cornering suffered. The 70 seems to be a good compromise. If I still had the Spot, I'd probably try a shorter stem, maybe an 85 or 90mm.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    You do have some long arms. Do you even have to bend over to tie your shoes?
    nope.

I tie them while sitting down.

the stem length is curious. other bikes that I've ridden don't corner or descend very well unless you are WAAAAAY back of center. my Turners seem to be more stable when ridden in a more centered position, so that's why I am running longer than normal stems for them. my cornering and descending techniques had to undergo some changes since I got the 6-Pack last year but now that I've grown used to the excellent manners of the Turner designs, I'm happier in a more centered position. I'm railing corners faster than ever, even the super choppy ones that are off-camber and descending.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Echoing the chorus: I'm 6' on the dot and my large Spot fits great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast