Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Winter camo, part deux. A.k.a. More Fo than Fo.

2K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  J_B 
#1 ·
Renny and I are swapping 66 lowers. The white look so faux schnitzel! I dig em.

It's not gonna stay clean for long :D :

I picked up one of those $99 santa cruz shocks. You know what's freaky? I'm actually really liking the swinger. It pedals great and is actually very plush on the Pack. Weird:

Barny was groovin too:

See less See more
#11 ·
One of the most surprising things for me on the Swinger was what pressure I run. On the Pack with the DHX Air, I need 230-250 psi for bottoming protection. In Utah, hitting drops, I needed more like 260 psi. The large volume air can is just a bit too linear right up to the end with such a high leverage bike. The smaller volume RP3 can lets me drop the pressure down to 210-220 psi. The shaft diameter and air can volume on the Swinger seem to resemble the DHX Air, so I figured I'd be running high pressures in the Swinger too. Nope. I only need 160 psi, and the spring rate curve is super nice on the 6-Pack. Ironically I hated most of the Swingers that were on bikes at the IBike dirt demo, but I have to say that this was $100 very well spent. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Aliums. I have basically every model of Times. The XS are great and I use them on most bikes, but the carbon (read as: plastic) body seems a little wimpy and I broke one in half once. I also have some Z-Controls (the platform version) but they are overkill and pretty chunky. The Aliums are dirt cheap and hold up well. A good middleground between the XS and Z's.

#15 ·
Looks good, nice stem! :) I had the same thoughts on the Swinger for my Burner, I got that model as a warranty replacement for the original 3way that came on the Burner. It rides much nicer and I also ran much lower psi, actually I ran the same psi in the SPV chamber but 135 compared to 175 in the main chamber.

#16 ·
those lowers look great with your white frame. I don't believe they would have looked as nice on my black frame, but that is because of my sense of fashion I suppose.:D Between the black lowers I have now, and the lowers you are sending me, I'll be covered for whatever paint scheme I choose to go with this winter:

#20 ·
I do see a little bit of a trend here. I have DHX coils and Swinger 3-Way Airs in both 7.5 x 2.0 and 7.875 x 2.25 sizes, and in both instances I like the feel of the longer shocks on the Pack hands down. It seems to me it's more than getting another 0.75" of travel. Much more. You start in a slightly different position of the linkage and also end in a slightly differnt point compared to the stock shocks. You are following the same rate curve, but begin at an earlier point and end earlier. The longer shocks may also do a better job when displacing more oil or something. I don't know the details, I just know the results are superb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.