Bikes are good

Will it work? Damn it.

A shot in the dark. BUT, I sent my vanilla RL fork to Push a month ago, over a month ago, and they still have it. Well, they sent it yesterday. The bill said they upgraded my fork to an RLC with140 mm travel, which is 5.5 inches. I have a 5 inch 5 spot. The 5 spot before they added on the 1/2 inch. Will that,does that matter? Do I need to send it back to them to fix the entire thing or is there something I can do to the fork to make it 5 inch compatable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No worries dude, you'll love it. 140mm on your Spot is fine. Don't send it back until you have some ride time on it. They do an awesome job at Push, plus, you're rockin' a Vanilla, which means 140mm of plushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhness...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I bet you will love it better than the original length. Fox 32 are pretty short to start with.

mtbr member
    Don't fixate on it, just take it for a few spins and then decide. You will likely be pleasantly surprised.

Bikes are good

Thanks all

I read thing somewhere that said it will slacken your head angle. For every inch over what your frame is designed to take, 1 degree of head angle. I imagine slacken means make lower, which would be good for steeps, right?? Turner then would go from 69 to 68.5.

Thanks for the info. I can rest easy until my shock finally arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Food for thought: you can also order the 5.5" rockers for the Spot. Which will sweeten your rear end even more and mostly return the geometry to what you had before.
    Do a search - there was quite a lot of discussion on this in the Turner forum.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Food for thought: you can also order the 5.5" rockers for the Spot. Which will sweeten your rear end even more and mostly return the geometry to what you had before.
    Do a search - there was quite a lot of discussion on this in the Turner forum.
    5.5 rockers do not restore original geometry on that frame with the 140 fork. It keeps geometry the same and increases just the travel. BB is the same.

To raise the BB and steepen the HA a bit with 5.5 rockers, you need to get a new seatstay, assuming you have TNT. If not, a whole new rear end.

Push rockers, OTOH, will do both. Increase travel and steepen HA by raising the BB. But they are hard to come by.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nope. I had a discussion with TurnerBikes over this a while back. The new rockers modify the geometry partly, and the new chainstays - longer around 1/8" that the previous, take care of the rest.

Bikes are good

So...

I had my fork upgraded to 140mm on accident, and that should work out according to you guys. I'm excited to try it. Rockers are the two parallel bars connecting the top of the rear shock, downtube,and the highest rear pivot, right? Does Turner sell just those? How much are they?

On that rear triangle note, I replaced the bushings on my horst link because there was some play back there. After replacing the bushings, axle, and all there is still play. I don't see how I could have screwed that up, but I do screw things up a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yup - those are the rockers. 150$ I believe - look at the 'store' are of the Turnerbikes site. No idea about the bushings - but I am sure someone here will have something smart to say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A few years ago, I put a 140 Vanilla on my 5-inch Spot, and I did NOT like what it did to the handling of the bike. Moved it very close to my RFX.

I sprung for a set of the Push rockers, and all was well (the Turner 5.5 rockers will not restore your geometry).

Aside from all that, you should really call Push. It is pretty likely that they are sending back your 130 Vanilla, but that their computer invoicing system just always prints 140 these days.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Bikes are good

Push

wrote a special note saying "Fox sent 140mm stanchions, so we upgraded your fork to a Vanilla RLC free of charge." I think it will be a 140mm fork, which is cool of them if it works okay. I'll try it once it gets here. I've got play in my horst link pivot after replacing the bushing kit there. I might be in line for a rear triangle. F. I wonder how much those puppies are.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    wrote a special note saying "Fox sent 140mm stanchions, so we upgraded your fork to a Vanilla RLC free of charge." I think it will be a 140mm fork, which is cool of them if it works okay. I'll try it once it gets here. I've got play in my horst link pivot after replacing the bushing kit there. I might be in line for a rear triangle. F. I wonder how much those puppies are.
    Did they replace your orginal 100 mm springs? Or did they put 40 mm of spacers in it? IF, you have spacers you should be able to adjust it down to 130 mm. That would be sweet if they did, but I suspect you got the new 140 mm spings.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

Bikes are good

Alright

I need to adjust the dampening and rebound but the 140mm shock might be okay. We don't have many trails that are rideable here yet, but I rode on a dirt road and jumped off my deck a bunch. It will take a bit of getting used to. I think descending will be better, I'm wondering about climbing though. Thanks for all the replies.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I replaced the bushings on my horst link because there was some play back there. After replacing the bushings, axle, and all there is still play.
    its very possible loose pivots were left too long and have damaged 1 or both of the stays. you wouldnt be the 1st. if youve followed all the recomended replacement proceedures without damaging the bushings and its still loose, ya finaly get to upgrade to a tnt rear. may as well do the rockers at the same time. grab yer visa card and call turner. sorry.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Title

Elfbkr50,

I just wanted to clear up that we DID NOT change the length or stroke of your fork. It will be the same as what was sent in.

I'll try to not confuse to many people with this one. Basically you needed a new upper assembly. We only had one set of Vanilla uppers for that model year left in stock. FOX accidentally installed a 2008 right stanchion tube into the uppers which is a different thread pitch for the top cap, but correct diameter and length. So, your stock RL top cap wouldn't work. Because this was the last set and our next shipment from FOX was a week out, I gave the go ahead to convert your fork using an '08 RLC Top Cap at no extra charge as the fork was held up for some time already and it wasn't your fault. If you look, the 140mm and 2008 notes on the order refer to the thread pitch of the components and not the length of the fork.

Sorry for the confusion,

Darren

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Darren, why are you confusing us with the facts?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    cool! forget the new rockers then but check the h/l holes for ovalazation or any signs of damage.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bikes are good

Right.

Cheers to me for not knowing anything. Thanks for the clarification. Push, you guys did a sweet job on that fork. Looks good, feels good, I can't wait to get it out on the steep stuff. Thanks for the hook up.