mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Will this cause my frame to crack? DW link 5 spot damage?

I must have bottomed out and had a sticking pivot. Will this compromise the integrity of the seat tube? I would really like a little more room in the cockpit but cannot afford a new Burner?20150204_164129_zpsb1bb6583.jpg Photo by madfishchad | Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is hard to see how deep the indent is; It looks like it did not deform the tube. I don't believe this will cause a problem, but I would keep an eye on it. As a large part of the circumpherence is undamaged, the failure mode would be a crack developing in the indent that would slowly grow wider and would allow discovery before covering the whole tube.

Of course you will have to grow confidence again and I would start riding simple things and gradually increase the loads to the frame without doing outright dangerous things and see whether it indeed holds as expected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I also have a dimple in my seat post so it must have been a good hit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Basically I still would not worry, but I can understand you do. Again to grow confidence try to quantify the dimple by using a ruler but don't get surprised that the tube isn't exactly straight as the welding normally causes stresses and slight bends in the tube as well. Also understand that measurement inaccuracies will occur (about 0.3mm when doing it thoroughly), so do a few repeats of your initial measurement, so that you have an idea of its accuracy. Some plastic rulers have a larger bend in them then the tube could have and result in low accuracy. Repeat the measurement after riding whenever you want. Then you can see whether the tube changes shape above the measurement accuracy.

If you don't like the scientific approach simply ride your bike and keep an eye on it for some time like described in my previous post. I still think it should be fine, but it is you that eats the dust when I am wrong and not me. I did have a few bikes (no Turners) that had dents and a few without dents that cracked, were welded and some cracked again. Never caught me be surprise nor caused an accident. One hardtail had a crack in the chainstay for over a year, before I did not dare to ride it anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So do you ride an XXl and how tall are you? I kind of wish I had a longer top tube when standing up or riding agressively.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'd be more concerned why and how it bottomed against the frame. Something is not right. There shouldn't be contact between the seat stay brace and seat tube at full travel. I would contact Turner if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That is what I thought. I even let the air out of my shock & checked for sticking pivots. I don't see how it could have happened. I keep her torqued & lubed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did that to my 5 spot when I removed the shock for service and let the frame make contact on a few occasions. If you have never removed the shock, then you can rule that out and then maybe focus on shock tuning. I believe the Fox air shocks have a bottom out bumper that could have gotten smashed during a good hit, or from running not enough air pressure or needing service. I think checking with Turner via phone or email would be fine if you were concerned about any of this.

I've seen a few Turners in service that were literally lumpy with dents that still are going strong. These bikes are work horses and a dent/ding/paint chip in that location, caused by something off the bike (shock removed), or by a dramatic bottom out, personally, really wouldn't concern me. I'd only worry if the rear triangle made contact against the frame with stroke left on the shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Could have been a rock jammed in there during compression.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I hope you are right Matt! I removed the shock & everything worked as it should with no lateral mvmnt or slop. The ding is kind of off center though. I just finished a wheelset & bought a new fork. A new bike is not happening this year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It will be fine, never seen a ST break from a little ding like that

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the responses guys! I wish all of the threads & forums could be this civillized! I just wanted to make sure that if this could eventually be a problem I snatched up one of the last few 5 Spot's Turner had left. I cannot see myself riding anything but a 5 Spot or Burner!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I need to consider having my rp23 rebuilt or look at alternatives. Do any of the piggyback shocks fit the 2011 5 spot? How about the CCDB inline? Your site lists them as a 2012 upgrade but will they also work on the 2011?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    To further increase your confidence in the ding, you mentioned that the seatpost also got a mark there, so obviously the post is through the seat tube at that spot. There's practically no way the tube will fail there, at least not from saddle loads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This happened to my Spot casing a jump. Frame flex no doubt. The metal to metal thunk was unsettling. Push installed a bottom out bumper with small spacer to reduce the shock stroke a bit, all good now.