Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Wierd Z-150 & Boxxer Ride hybrid mod idea.....(x-post shocks)

(also asking here, 'cause quite a bunch of ya'll seem to be tech junkies....)

bear with me. probably won't work, and maybe i'm just stupid for even thinking of it......

so i've got my old z-150 sitting around as a spare fork, and i'm wanting to experiment. things i don't like on it are the weight (i'll likely send it back to 'zocchi to get a new steer tube on, and have them do the alloy one to save a bit of that.) and the ETA. i'm digging the u-turn adjust on the boxxer ride and the pike team forks that i have. leading me to...

the boxxer and the z-150 are pretty dang close in axle to crown heights. i'm wondering if i could cram a boxxer ride coil in there somehow, and figure out a way to limit its travel to 150mm. i'd still have the air cap on the rebound side to fine tune preload, and save a bit more weight by taking the coil out of that side as well.

only problems i really see are:

1. ensuring that all the top/bottom threadings of the boxxer u-turn coil assembly somehow work with the z-150 threadings. possibly meaning i'll have to make something to fit./heavily modify something. the new u-turn/spring assembly really would probably be the only cost, and they aren't too pricy.

2. somehow limiting the boxxer coil to 150mm. or would i just be cramming it in there and having too much preload from doing that to even have a hope of it working? as i said, the z-c is pretty similar (with the boxxer lower crown at minimal height) but i'm not really sure how much room i have to work with inside the z-150.

i've got the fork just sitting, and it's a spare fork for either of my bikes at the moment. i just like the idea of fiddling with it to see what i can get it to do. and i'm not really interested in buying another fork, since this one is just the parts bin fork in case something is wrong with one fo the others and i need a fork on in a pinch....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Even if the threaded mounting systems could be matched, it is very unlikey a double crown fork damper will fit in a single crown. Even with the same A2C height the DC fork still has an additional 6" to 7" of leg that the damper has to stretch across. Trying to feed that into a SC fork would probably net you zero travel as the damper hits the bottom of the fork before you are even able to install it. It's been a long time since I played with the RS U-Turn, so it may be possible, but I doubt it.

Scott
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a problem with 'the weed'

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    Even if the threaded mounting systems could be matched, it is very unlikey a double crown fork damper will fit in a single crown. Even with the same A2C height the DC fork still has an additional 6" to 7" of leg that the damper has to stretch across. Trying to feed that into a SC fork would probably net you zero travel as the damper hits the bottom of the fork before you are even able to install it. It's been a long time since I played with the RS U-Turn, so it may be possible, but I doubt it.

Scott
    from what i recall of the one time i had my boxxer u-turn guts out (in a parking lot in moab......) there is quite a bit of free length to the threaded alu rod that sticks out of the bottom of the coil. if i can trim that to fit, and rethread it for the bottom bolt it may work.

if the boxxer top cap won't fit, and i can't fab something up to make it fit, then i can't do it anyhow. that will likely be the big problem.

that and the overall length of the u-turn and boxxer spring assembly just may be too long to cram into there and have it work.

i won't be able to pull it all apart and look at it until friday, but if things look like they might work, i'll post back up.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Members who have read this thread: 0