mtbr member

Why no small Czar?

So I'm a 5'5" rider with a 27 in inseam who rides a small turner Sultan 2010 which was the last year they made a small frame. I love the bike, and though its a bit heavy love the way it rides. For reasons unknown they did not opt to continue the small size after 2010.

I gotta ask why no czar in small? I've heard in the past that dw link limits small size frames, but there is a small size ripley which is dw link.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    If they won't pay for the tooling to build up some small Sultans they aren't likley to do so on a carbon frame. They made a small Sultan early in the DW era but they were very slow selling and they haven't made any for a long time.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend is 5'5", don't know her inseam but I'd bet her legs are longer than yours. She is riding a med with 90mm stem, need to try an 80, and completely loving the bike as well as totally flying on the thing!! Give it a try, doubt you'll regret it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    See Velo Bum above. While not really "small", the Czar is by no means big for any stated size.

I'm 6'2" with a short 32" inseam, and honestly, I'd prefer my XL to be just a smidge longer in the TT department.

So two things: I bet a medium would work great for you, and I bet the guys at Turner would be glad to chat about sizing with you.

The Czar is a hot rod! Don't give up yet.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do not overlook the 27.5 Flux either!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    See Velo Bum above. While not really "small", the Czar is by no means big for any stated size.

I'm 6'2" with a short 32" inseam, and honestly, I'd prefer my XL to be just a smidge longer in the TT department.

So two things: I bet a medium would work great for you, and I bet the guys at Turner would be glad to chat about sizing with you.

The Czar is a hot rod! Don't give up yet.
    Kosmo, I thought you were the test-guy for the XL's? If so, does this mean that when they finally ship, they'll have longer top tubes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Kosmo, I thought you were the test-guy for the XL's? If so, does this mean that when they finally ship, they'll have longer top tubes?
    I don't believe the top tube is being lengthened. Of course, there will be a 2X version if you really need it. I've gone from getting used to the slightly shorter cockpit to actually enjoying it.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm shopping for baggies, flannel shirts, and dropper posts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I don't believe the top tube is being lengthened. Of course, there will be a 2X version if you really need it. I've gone from getting used to the slightly shorter cockpit to actually enjoying it.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm shopping for baggies, flannel shirts, and dropper posts!
    Don't wanna highjack this thread too much, but I'd love to hear more of your Czar setup, especially since I'm about your size. Handlebar and stem stats, drivetrain, wheels and tires, blah blah blah.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Don't wanna highjack this thread too much, but I'd love to hear more of your Czar setup, especially since I'm about your size. Handlebar and stem stats, drivetrain, wheels and tires, blah blah blah.
    Yeah, I really need to do a separate long-term update post, but the quick and dirty is 6'2" with long torso and short legs, 195 lbs, XL Czar, Roval Carbon 142+ wheelset, 100 mm Thomson stem (I can't help myself), flat 26" carbon bars, "straight" Thomson post, all XT drivetrain and brakes, ESI grips Praxis PF30 BB adapter, and the critical element -- 8 Ball handlebar bell!

Rider profile: Occasionally does well in 100 mile races, but really an epic trail riding guy at heart.

Sorry for participating in the hijack, but I think the original topic ran it's course. To reiterate, I think the OP would rock a medium Czar, and the Turner guys would love to discuss it (if they don't chime in here, after the long weekend).