Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Why is the Kenda BlueGroove 2.35 so popular on the Turner forum ?!

Hi,

I am currently researching for new tires for the spring/summer for my 5spot, something with a little more grip than my Continental Gravity 2.3 tires (which I understand are the same size as Nevegal 2.1 tires...) that will give me more confidence in turns and small drops, not too heavy and slow, for terrain anywhere between soft and hard pack.

In looking at various threads in the Turner forum, it appears that the Kenda BlueGroove 2.35 is VERY VERY popular as a front tire - more so than the nevegal for all-around riding, even though according to the Kenda site it is hardpack tire...

Any special reasons for this popularity of the 2.35 Blue groove?
    Any good suggestions otherwise?

Thanks!!

No, that's not phonetic
    The BG knobs really aren't any shorter than the Neve's, but they are more widely spaced, so I think they lend themselves to soft conditions more than the Neves. I have ridden a 2.5 BG as a front tire and liked it a lot, but tore a lot of knobs off (or at least turned them into flappers) on slickrock. I ride a Neve 2.35 in front often and like it too for all-around riding. It makes a lousy rear tire though. I don't know why Kenda classifies their tires the way they do.

You will note that tires are heavily subject to fashion trends. For a while it was all Conti, then all Schwalbe, then all Kenda.... Anyway, we are on the backside of the Kenda curve right now.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

I've got a Stiffee
    I've experimented with the BG and Neve in the front and for so cal conditions I prefer the BG. It just seems to wander less in loose rocky conditions and inspires more confidence. That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are many others who prefer the Neve in front.....but I stick with the Neve as a rear tire on all of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Are both the Nevegal AND BG sloopy as rear tires? What do you suggest for a rear tire then?

mtbr member

My two cents

I've really enjoyed riding my Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 tubeless on the front and back.
    New Obama Creed: Change you can believe in TO Change what you believe in

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Are both the Nevegal AND BG sloopy as rear tires? What do you suggest for a rear tire then?
    When snow & mud are not of concern the Nevegal is a superb rear tire

Most of my riding posse here in Colorado have been using some variation of a front Blue Groove/Rear Nevegal for over a year although the Schwalbe Big Betty has quickly become the weapon of choice.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

banned
    I dunno. I love the Nevegals. I have them on both of my FS rigs. Stick-E compound. I've used both XC and DH casing versions. I've used the 2.35, the 2.5 and the 2.7 and all of them are excellent tires for my local terrain.

I've heard that some like the Blue Grooves too though.:

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Anyway, we are on the backside of the Kenda curve right now.
    speak for yourself, gear-swapping maniac. I'm still on the front side, haven't hit the apex.

banned
    oops.

mtbr member
    I just got a set of Nevegel DTC 2.35s and a set of the Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.25s from Larry.

I ran my first combination of the Nevegel front and the NN rear today. The NN didn't do as well in the mud as the Nevegel but was far from bad. Both did really well over the damp roots and rocks. They both seemed to roll faster than my winter tires, Geax Blades 2.25 front (more like a 2.4) and a 2.1 rear.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.5 Nev up front, and either 2.1 or 2.35 Nevs out back.

I used to be a hopeless tire junkie buying new meat every month or so searching for that prefect tread. Nevs are great around these parts (dry and very rocky) and have cured me of my addiction.

If you're into low rolling resistance I'd look elsewhere though.

gravity curmudgeon
    I love the blue groove as a front tire and don't mind it all as a rear tire. I have several sizes of the BG and Nev, including UST, DTC and sticky versions. So far this "spring," I'm running a UST 2.1 Hutch Spider in the rear and the 2.25 DTC BG in the front on my flux -- that's keeping me happy so far. I have a lot of other tires (Mich, Conti) that I don't use.

I want to check out the Nobby Nic sometime soon.

I exclusively ran Fire XC pros for years and it is only the last couple of years that I somehow decided to be a tire geek. For whatever reason I've liked some of the Kenda tires better than others I tried.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I can't afford to keep up with the guys on this forum as far as gear changes go, but the 2.3 BG front and the 2.3 Nev. on the rear has worked well here on the East Coast in MA. So well in fact that I'm ready to change out my Nev rear for a new one but the BG has worn just enough to make the rolling resistance that much better. its gonna be a great riding season.
    M.

PSI
    I want that one

I found the perfect tire for where you ride

Tald, ive been using Bontrager Big Earl 2.5 front, and Earl 2.4 rear and i find them to be perferct for our part of the world (our world = 20 rocky, square km between meirav and carmel ). Big volume, great traction, low rolling resistance for their size, and-unlike some reports on kedas-very tough and long lasting. I run them with ghetto tubless at 35 psi and love them.
    the only minus is you have to watch out for the fashion police
    PSI

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks all for the replies.
    Actually, after failing to find nevegal 2.35 tires anywhere here (all sold out), and being a little worried about its short life and tendency to sheer rubber, I decided to continue with a fresh set of Continental Gravity 2.35 tires.
    The experience with them during the last year was really great, so there is a very good chance others will not be better.
    For anyone interested, here is a summary of 10 months on them:
    - REALLY long lasting - still ridable after 10 months with a lot of rocky terrain riding.
    - Strong sidewalls (I am using the 'protection' version).
    - Started out slow rolling but really improved after around a month's usage.
    - Great grip on rocks.
    - Good but not great on very loose terrain.

By the way, here is a invaluable web site I stumbled upon that really eased the size comparison between all these tires (Kendas are usually large for their printed size, Continentals and Maxxises are small... - but where and when and by how much..) http://www.mtbtires.com

PSI, I may definately give your suggestion a try next time!! Definately the same 20 square km...

banned
    Conti tires are pinner compared to Kenda Nevegals, so don't go thinking it can't get any better after those tiny little roadie tires that Conti sells as MTB tires.

but seriously, I've used the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 a fair amount and it makes me think two things: (1) Continental 2.3 tires are really about 2.1 or 2.0 sized; and (2) the Vertical Pro was the best of all the 2.3 "DH" tires Conti made/makes, and it's nowhere near as grippy or cushy or dependable as the Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E or DTC compounds (XC casing).
    Last edited by gonzostrike; 03-26-2006 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow - Strong statement Gonzo!

1. Does anyone else here have experience with both the Kendas and Contis and can compare? I have heard great things so fat about the Verticals. Are they really that inferior?

2. I may be able to get a Bluegroove 2.35 front/rear, but can't find any Nevegal 2.35 . Any experience with the BG as a rear tire?

... I guess you won't be
    never have I heard anyone [including myself] grouse about Geax Sturdy's......pretty much a bomb proof, lightweight, easy rolling, grippy on everything do it all tire.....very confidence inspiring handling and grip. Sure, I live in michigan where we don't really have big time rocks, but we get our fair share of scratchy terrain. And, I rode them out at Northstar last summer and liked them just as much....but beware - the 2.25 version is positively huge!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I didn't like the Nev

First I tried one in the rear. For soft conditions it's rolling resistance was huge. I had to work twice as hard with this tire. Anything wet and off camber was out of the question with this tire on the rear. Also I found the large knobs weren't very good on wet roots or wet rock.

Once I put the tire in the front it was ok, but I still wasn't crazy about it. I would use 2.1 high rollers any day of over the Nev.

I have heard lots of people that don't like the Nev like the BG. Apparently since the knobs aren't as big, they grip wet rock and roots better. I'm going to be picking up some BG soon.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    1. Does anyone else here have experience with both the Kendas and Contis and can compare? I have heard great things so fat about the Verticals. Are they really that inferior?
    I ran Vert Pros and Explorers (2.1 version of the Vert Pro) for years. They roll well and seem to wear pretty well, but in the conditions I ride in now they just don't work for me. I lived in Oklahoma where the terrain is not steep and rolling at best, and the Contis worked great in that type of terrain.

Here in CO, the terrain is steep, hard and often loose and I find myself spinning the Contis on technical climbs a lot. Maybe I lack the finesse I need, but with the Nevegals I never spin them, they just stick.

The Contis are certainly undersized for their claimed sizes. The 2.1 Nevegal has a broader footprint than the 2.3 Vert Pro. I bought a Vert Pro a couple months back to use up some Team Performance points before my membership expired. Removed the 1/2 worn Nevegal I had on previously, put on the Vert Pro and went for a ride. About 3 miles into the ride I had decided I was done with the Vert Pros in these conditions.

I think under the right conditions and style they are decent tires, but for the steep and loose hard pack stuff I ride now I find the Nevegal to be the best tire I've tried thus far.

Team Sanchez
    I have been running the Nevy 2.5's up front, and 2.35s on the rear for a year. I finally found the perfect tire for hard pack rocky terrain. And for cornering grip, these tires blow everything else out of the water. I recently tried a Geax Sturdy, but hated the cornering habits. But as stated above, the nevy's don't roll well at all, especially in the sticky version, but I'm not trying to win any XC events.

... I guess you won't be
    yeah, I believe you need real dirt for the Sturdy's to corner well.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Bodhisattva
    El C,
    You try the Bettys yet? I think they outperform the Nevs in cornering. I don't love the Nev as front tire. I find that Nev has a very dramatic give-way under hard cornering which I don't like. The transition onto those side knobs can be dramatic. Blue Groove has a more controlled transition and I think the Big Betty is better than either Kenda.

― Albert Einstein

Outcast
    Many folk here use the same tires, and a lot of other similar components because they are mindless lemmings who can't think for themselves.

I feel better now. Just kidding. Mabey.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Many folk here use the same tires, and a lot of other similar components because they are mindless lemmings who can't think for themselves.
    That was very Gonzoesque. Have another beer Reny. After all, it is Monday morning.

― Albert Einstein

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    That was very Gonzoesque. Have another beer Reny. After all, it is Monday morning.
    Funny you should say that Squeak. I was reading several threads this morning before I posted that, and I saw several posts by Gonzo where he was being a nice, regular guy. I must have felt that the universe needed to balance that somehow, my fingers typed a response that came from some other astral plane.
    Really. It's not that I haven't had a beer yet. In a couple hours mabey, but I'm good to go now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast