mtbr member

Why does 6pack us 2.0" stroke shock?

Homers,

I own a 6pack and love it, just wondering why it uses a 2" stroke shock, while every other 6" trail bike i see uses at least 2.25" (Intense, SC Nomad, Ellsworth Moment).

No, that's not phonetic
    You should ask DT. I understand he has some input into the designs.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Many peeps here will give you the technical ans. but basically it's dictated by rocker leverage and suspension movement / clearance. Therefore a 2" shock paired with a 3 to 1 rocker could give you a 6" rear travel while a 2.25" shock paired with a 2 to 1 rocker would give you 2 times 2.25" of rear travel or 4.5".

Uh, and like TS says: " 'Cause that's the way DT drew it."
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

CAK
    Reign Rider

Giant Reign...

The Reign uses a 2" stroke shock as well, it's a 6" bike and rides like butta
    I'd Kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    Many peeps here will give you the technical ans.
    There is no technical answer, it's so DT can use the same shock on the 5spot and 6pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    Homers,

I own a 6pack and love it, just wondering why it uses a 2" stroke shock, while every other 6" trail bike i see uses at least 2.25" (Intense, SC Nomad, Ellsworth Moment).
    I certainly don't have an answer for your question. I have been curious about the same thing for a while now and just didn't ask because I didn't want to seem to be disrespecting DT in front of the Homers. My guess (as someone else stated) is that it has to do with compatibility issues with the Spot.

As a Clyde, I'd certainly prefer a longer stroke on the Pack in order to get a lower leverage ratio and maintain 6" of travel. I know the 5 Pack is available, but I don't think I just want a beefed up Spot, I want an trailbike with an RFX build and geometry. At this point it's just not important enough to me to bother DT personally with the question. (Which is probably the best way to get to the bottom of it.)

I would absolutely love if Turner came out with a frame that used a ~2.75" stroke shock to get ~6.5" travel ala Specialized Enduro SX Trail and (as yet to be released) Knolly Delerium T. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I would absolutely love if Turner came out with a frame that used a ~2.75" stroke shock to get ~6.5" travel ala Specialized Enduro SX Trail and (as yet to be released) Knolly Delerium T. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

Patrick
    Patience. The Delerium will be well worth the wait.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Patience. The Delerium will be well worth the wait.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't want to jack another thread (and be way OT) on the Turner forum (too late), but the Del T is going to be sweet. And I'm going to have to have patience b/c I don't have the $ to buy one as soon as it comes out anyway.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 03-18-2006 at 09:16 PM.