Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why buy a turner?

I'm sure there are other threads like this but a search turned up nothing. Anyways, I am looking at getting a nice higher end frame to replace my aging heckler. I am considering the Turner RFX. I have heard a lot of good things about the Turner line and my question is why. What makes turner worth the small price premium that you pay? I don't know much about rear suspension design so is there something special there? Are they lighter? This is not meant to troll, I really want to know what I am getting for the small price premium.

I would be ordering the bike from an online store so I can't ask a shop these questions. I guess I'd like someone here to "sell me a Turner RFX"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    I'm sure there are other threads like this but a search turned up nothing. Anyways, I am looking at getting a nice higher end frame to replace my aging heckler. I am considering the Turner RFX. I have heard a lot of good things about the Turner line and my question is why. What makes turner worth the small price premium that you pay? I don't know much about rear suspension design so is there something special there? Are they lighter? This is not meant to troll, I really want to know what I am getting for the small price premium.

I would be ordering the bike from an online store so I can't ask a shop these questions. I guess I'd like someone here to "sell me a Turner RFX"
    1) Solid, well built bikes
    2) Great company with arguably the best customer service in the industry.
    3) Climb like tractors
    4) Descend like crazy, very stable.
    5) Very little, if no brake jack throughout the line of frames (unlike the Heckler, & yes, I have ridden one)
    6) They are cool.
    7) People will envy your bike on the trails
    8) They last forever
    9) Everyones doing it now a days
    10) Drink the Kool Aid

Too easily annoyed.
    There has been lot's of feedback on the RFX on this and other forums. Do a quick search of the site, and go from there. Plug in a couple of other frames you are considering (in the search string), and there will likely be some great comparisons. People here (including myself) like Turners because of several factors.... build quality, engineering, geometry, etc. For me, it's the ride. If the RFX fits your intended usage, you will be very happy. And as always, test ride if possible.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    1) Solid, well built bikes
    2) Great company with arguably the best customer service in the industry.
    3) Climb like tractors
    4) Descend like crazy, very stable.
    5) Very little, if no brake jack throughout the line of frames (unlike the Heckler, & yes, I have ridden one)
    6) They are cool.
    7) People will envy your bike on the trails
    8) They last forever
    9) Everyones doing it now a days
    10) Drink the Kool Aid

Thanks. IInteresting points on the suspension performance. Does this design rely heavily on a platform shock like the heckler does? Does it stiffen while pedaling and almost lock out on square edge hits? I've been getting annoying pedal feedback while in the granny. Does this happen with the turner.

I've heard all the hype about the VPP and maestro designs, I'd like to hear how the RFX compares.

I'm very happy with the hecklers suspension going down the hill, the rest of the time not so much.

Knollician
    I think this is pretty simple infact. When I get on my Turner it just feels right. The geometry, the suspension, and everything else about the bike. Turner builds bikes to last. You will hear lots of people try to throw Turners bushing system "under the bus". Only because they cannot complete with it, It is light, smooth, quiet, stiff, and never needs servicing.

My first Turner (RFX) is nothing short of spectacular. Probably the only bike I have ever been on that I felt like I had the bike for years on the first ride.

Oh, and the fact that Dave monitors the forums and listens to his customers is pretty cool too.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Thanks. IInteresting points on the suspension performance. Does this design rely heavily on a platform shock like the heckler does? Does it stiffen while pedaling and almost lock out on square edge hits? I've been getting annoying pedal feedback while in the granny. Does this happen with the turner.

I've heard all the hype about the VPP and maestro designs, I'd like to hear how the RFX compares.

I'm very happy with the hecklers suspension going down the hill, the rest of the time not so much.
    I can add this, I owned a Nomad before the RFX & loved that bike for everything except climbing, as it had major pedal feedback, especially in the granny, plus is was a pretty slack build, but overall, it was a wicked ride, but the feedback killed climbing fun on it, IMO. When I built the RFX I thought I may miss some of the descending capabilities of the Nomad, but so far I don't miss a thing, the bike is that good. As far as pedaling performance, there is little or no suspension feedback when climbing, in any gear. In technical, rocky climbs is where this bike really excells, is is a serious goat, if you have the legs, it will tractor up anything. I have yet to feel this bike hang up on anything when going up or down, no worries there. The RFX builds up pretty light as well with a decent kit. Mine is a large with a 08 Fox 36RC2, PUSH'ed RP23, XO components, 08 XT cranks with a 2 ring / DRS guide, Mavic Crossmax SX wheels with Maxxis 2.24 Crossmark LUST rear & 2.35 LUST Highroller front, Juicy 7's, Thomson post & stem, Sunline V1 bars. All come out to 32 lbs. I have had it at 30 1/2, but is was not as fun of a bike (mostly tires).

mtbr member
    If you weed through the noise in this thread there are some good Turner selling points:

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/am-i-only-one-who-wont-spend-2k-bike-frame-411759.html#post4438251

mtbr member
    One of my big reservations about purchasing a turner is sizing. There is no place within 5 hours that sells them. On the RFX sizing I fall exactly between a large and xl (6'1.5") I bought my heckler online and have never been able to get it to feel just right and really want to avoid that happening with the RFX.

The response to this question is pretty interesting. That in itself speaks well for the brand.

mtbr member
    One of my big reservations about purchasing a turner is sizing. There is no place within 5 hours that sells them. On the RFX sizing I fall exactly between a large and xl (6'1.5") I bought my heckler online and have never been able to get it to feel just right and really want to avoid that happening with the RFX.

The response to this question is pretty interesting. That in itself speaks well for the brand.
    I'm looking for an RFX as well. Remember those height guidelines are just suggestions. By those I am on the upper end of a medium, but due to my inseam and preferable top tube, I clearly need a large.

mtbr member
    One of my big reservations about purchasing a turner is sizing. There is no place within 5 hours that sells them.
    Competitive cyclist has a demo program, $300 for a week on the bike of your choosing shipped to your door. I think they'll credit the cost toward a new bike. Has anybody tried this?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...ikes/demo-bike

gravity curmudgeon
    I am a recreational rider with an XC emphasis; cycling is one of a couple of priority recreation/lifestyle activities for me. I don't go to Interbike. I am not an industry insider. I don't follow mtb racing. I am a knowledgeable bike mechanic, but not even on the same planet with some of these Homers. Although I have ridden or owned a lot of different bikes, I don't want to know the nitty gritty details of TNT versus HL or DWlink or VPP or ... I simply ride my bikes for my fun. As such, I only offer my non-pro non-vested interest perspective on Turner bikes.

I agree with all that's been written above. Turner frames simply work great for me. My flux was a very good bike, and my 5spot is a great bike. The geometry is refined and dialed. The bikes are so balanced - words don't describe it. They pedal very well and handle everything well. I never think, "geez, I wish my suspension would or wouldn't do X or Y." Turner frames, in my experience, disappear beneath you and simply let you ride.

And the darn things are so easy to maintain with the bushings and grease ports. They are small but support and listen to their customers. Heck, I feel they care as much about middle-aged recreation guy me riding my 5spot as they do about any of their other bikes out there. And they have a sense of humor as well as some humility. Special company with darn good products.

There are a lot of good bikes out there, but when put together as a whole package, I think Turner is at the top. If one has the means ($$) and a Turner fits the need and rider and feels right, I don't think there is a better choice.

trail fairy
    What they said

andddddddddddddddddddddddd

we have fun

[SIZE=1] - Click here for more free videos[/SIZE]

you can drink the kool aid and become famous

and then become

to all the non believers

oh and sheena rules

in the end you could be just be like this, others won't understand but they will secretly want to be just like you

Now who the heck is Sheena DOh
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lay off the Levers
    Disclaimer: TA's prescribed meds are hella powerful, and not representative of the natural, more gentle hallucinative effects of Koolaid Abuse.

Chur.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Disclaimer: TA's prescribed meds are hella powerful, and not representative of the natural, more gentle hallucinative effects of Koolaid Abuse.

Chur.
    so much so my blood has been replaced and assimilation is complete

Nice use of chur

assililation chur in progress

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lay off the Levers
    You bought a Niner?
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

TLL
    mtbr member
    I have never noticed any feedback or stiffening when I pedal my RFX up the hill in either the granny or big ring (I run a double). To be honest, most of the time I forget to use the propedal or lockout on the rp23, but you can certainly use if if you like a stiff back end when going uphill. But personally, I don't feel it is absolutely necessary.

The word I guess I would use to describe Turner suspension is "neutral"--the back end will conform to the terrain when pedaling up, but will not interfere with or hamper your pedaling.

I'm on my third Turner and could not be happier. I really like the suspension feel of Turner frames--I don't have the engineering background to describe what is going on, but can tell you that the RFX is stiff, stable, and balanced. Turner really nailed the geo, I love how the bike just zips through turns as if it were on rails. Almost like skiing, that is the feeling I have sometimes.

Hope this helps.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Turners are rubbish. You wouldn't catch me riding DH, let alone racing on one. Rubbish in the air, pedal badly uphill.

Note: this post may be biased.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    You bought a Niner?

Oh did they mention CS CS CS

Great guys all round, they ride, chat here and well dam straight up good blokes and lasses

Here's too more reasons how they looked after me, but I was long sold before this, just highlights there great support and caring of people

Thank You Turner, DT, Team and all

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=426388

Ahh must resist I so want to post another Homer picc must resist

chur........
    Turners rock, ah time for coffee!

Anyone know if Im supposed to grind the beans or just whip em into the plunger
    Maybe I should read the label

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Fun bikes, well thought out, ride great, good people backing the name, you're not forgotten by the company after they get your money, customer input on design, and a fun atmosphere. Even if you don't care for the community, you can always just ride and enjoy the bike. They are that good and it's not all a passing similarity in link layout to other companies, it's the sum of the parts.

You know where to find me if you want to know more...

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    My first Turner (RFX) is nothing short of spectacular. Probably the only bike I have ever been on that I felt like I had the bike for years on the first ride
    +1

Same for me on both my Turner bikes. First ride felt like I had each bike for years.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

banned
    That is the truth. They seem set up right, even when the cockpit is all wrong.

My RFX is the best bike I've owned. I'm sure there are plenty better out there, but for me, no combination was better, including Turner service.

One of the perks of the old RFX, which also includes the new RFX, is the versatility. They can do anything from XC trail to light/mid freeriding. Any company that can pull this off, in making the bike fun to ride and pedalable deserves some praise. Some of these bikes ride like ****.

Silence and Thunder...

To the OP...

1] all of the above
    2] ignore TA... he's a nice guy, but just not quite right, if ya know what I mean...
    3] Haven't tried it (yet), but I think the Competitive Cycle demo program would be a great way to confirm what size you need before committing. I think the demo $300 is applied to your purchase of a frame withing a few weeks of returning the demo. Check out the site.
    4] I don't know of -any- other bike brand that you can call their number and actually have the 'president' answer the phone, and then want to talk with you for half an hour...
    ...every day sends future to past...

trail fairy
    Dam Scuby, JC ya bringing a tear to my eye, but yer all right like a good wine they get better with age, it may seem a bias but its true, ya have to hang onto them long enough to realise this, mines now back where it belongs, moved from the bike room to the bedroom as my inspiration, no chicks!

Just a Turner and a Puppy life dosen't get much better, oh well riding would help, my 06 RFX still does it for me as much as I love all the new ones, nothing beats the one ya with, just do it then you'll wonder why ya been on the other side for so long!

Also sizes are a little larger in Turners usually than SCs so ya might find them a better fit if ya SC was a little small, depending on years youre comparing

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    1]
    2] ignore TA... he's a nice guy, but just not quite right, if ya know what I mean...

Ya can't ignore the Homers

THC wish I was there for this

scariest bunch of Homeroids ever

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

BMF
    Oct 2007
    On the RFX sizing I fall exactly between a large and xl (6'1.5")
    What is the consensus on this one? I am guessing the Large would be the right fit but under what circumstances would someone 6'1.5" fit an XL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast