Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

tg
    mtbr member

Why ?

Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.

VooDoo user.
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

Asthetically the fork looks kinda cool.

gravity curmudgeon
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

What do you expect from someone who brought you winners such as the Sid XL ans the Psylo?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.
    You must either live in Boulder Co or Vail.
    Those are the only 2 places I ever see Mavs frames.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

tg
    mtbr member
    Eagle ( Vail valley )

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR

NOT IMO. Worse than Colored sidewalls.

Bodhisattva
    Eagle ( Vail valley )
    A few years ago a gal I know in Vail bought a Mav at the same time as her boyfriend.

When asked why Maverick, she replied "it has a really cool paint job."

― Albert Einstein

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

The really kewl kids are riding the Seven Duo. Costs 3 times as much for the same crappy ride. "But Ti will last forever!"

Riders know.
    Long Live Long Rides

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison

trail fairy
    5Spots have no problems

also think they are on the ugly end of the stick
    ya agree BUSH PIGS
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison
    Arm chair engineering at its finest right there.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    He's a moron.

20/24=0.83
    1 - 0.83= 17

Therefore, the Mav is only 17% stiffer

― Albert Einstein

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sure, but going to an inverted design negates that, they're using a 24mm not to be stiffer than a 20mm fork, but to retain enough stiffness to make it comparable to a non-inverted design. Put a 24mm axle on a non-inverted fork and you'd have a far stiffer fork than a maverick. Plus, what kind of "stiffness" are we talking about? There's more than one direction, latteral, tortion (the one I assume you're discussing), fore-aft.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Outcast
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    Last edited by Renegade; 05-05-2008 at 12:26 PM.

trail fairy
    Bigger is not always better, design and implementation is as much more important as is the number, while I know what Fo is saying!

If anyone finds 20mm not enough I want to see pix to prove it!!

Stiffness alone does not mean better, in some areas its desirable, others flex is nessecary in key areas to get the characteristics required to perform! you can apply this to many things not just mtb

Also going oversized means thinner material to achieve the same weight specifications, this leads to dings, possible structual issues, while not probably an issue with Mav Hubs or Kings 24mm, the Fox 40 is a classic, big stiff but Ive seen more lowers broken crowns etc and hear constantly from peeps, oil leaks, some things are designed as pure race products only, made purley to perform and not for real world hacks like us.

Not saying Mav's hub is like that, but Momentus has one of there forks 2plus years its gathered dust a long warranty story so we won't go there, he can't give it away..

And it is a BUSH PIG ugliest thing Ive ever seen
    Apologies to all Maverick owners Ive insulted its not personal

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    How much are those Taiwanese frames going for now?

what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous

trail fairy
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Outcast
    as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.
    Boulder sounds like SoCal

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Boulder sounds like SoCal
    Damn! You beat me to it Fo.

BTW, when we goin' riding? Little Pine is as good as it gets right now.

mtbr member
    what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts
    A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?

Second Moment of Inertia for Circular cross section

• d = diameter
    I'm sure your Jr College math skills can take it from there.

A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?

Second Moment of Inertia for Circular cross section

• d = diameter
    I'm sure your Jr College math skills can take it from there.
    boy i wish i had your cut and paste skills to i too could pretend i understood such fancy math....nice try genius but you are not fooling anybody.

p.s. inertia is ghey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast