Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

tg
    mtbr member

Why ?

Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.

VooDoo user.
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

Asthetically the fork looks kinda cool.

gravity curmudgeon
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

What do you expect from someone who brought you winners such as the Sid XL ans the Psylo?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.
    You must either live in Boulder Co or Vail.
    Those are the only 2 places I ever see Mavs frames.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

tg
    mtbr member
    Eagle ( Vail valley )

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR

NOT IMO. Worse than Colored sidewalls.

Bodhisattva
    Eagle ( Vail valley )
    A few years ago a gal I know in Vail bought a Mav at the same time as her boyfriend.

When asked why Maverick, she replied "it has a really cool paint job."

― Albert Einstein

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

The really kewl kids are riding the Seven Duo. Costs 3 times as much for the same crappy ride. "But Ti will last forever!"

Riders know.
    Long Live Long Rides

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison

trail fairy
    5Spots have no problems

also think they are on the ugly end of the stick
    ya agree BUSH PIGS
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison
    Arm chair engineering at its finest right there.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    He's a moron.

20/24=0.83
    1 - 0.83= 17

Therefore, the Mav is only 17% stiffer

― Albert Einstein

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sure, but going to an inverted design negates that, they're using a 24mm not to be stiffer than a 20mm fork, but to retain enough stiffness to make it comparable to a non-inverted design. Put a 24mm axle on a non-inverted fork and you'd have a far stiffer fork than a maverick. Plus, what kind of "stiffness" are we talking about? There's more than one direction, latteral, tortion (the one I assume you're discussing), fore-aft.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Outcast
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    Last edited by Renegade; 05-05-2008 at 12:26 PM.

trail fairy
    Bigger is not always better, design and implementation is as much more important as is the number, while I know what Fo is saying!

If anyone finds 20mm not enough I want to see pix to prove it!!

Stiffness alone does not mean better, in some areas its desirable, others flex is nessecary in key areas to get the characteristics required to perform! you can apply this to many things not just mtb

Also going oversized means thinner material to achieve the same weight specifications, this leads to dings, possible structual issues, while not probably an issue with Mav Hubs or Kings 24mm, the Fox 40 is a classic, big stiff but Ive seen more lowers broken crowns etc and hear constantly from peeps, oil leaks, some things are designed as pure race products only, made purley to perform and not for real world hacks like us.

Not saying Mav's hub is like that, but Momentus has one of there forks 2plus years its gathered dust a long warranty story so we won't go there, he can't give it away..

And it is a BUSH PIG ugliest thing Ive ever seen
    Apologies to all Maverick owners Ive insulted its not personal

Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    How much are those Taiwanese frames going for now?

what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous

trail fairy
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Outcast
    as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.

Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.
    Boulder sounds like SoCal

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Boulder sounds like SoCal
    Damn! You beat me to it Fo.

BTW, when we goin' riding? Little Pine is as good as it gets right now.

mtbr member
    what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts
    A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?

Second Moment of Inertia for Circular cross section

<DL><DD> </DD></DL>
    • d = diameter
    I'm sure your Jr College math skills can take it from there.

A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?

<DL><DD> </DD></DL>
    • d = diameter
    boy i wish i had your cut and paste skills to i too could pretend i understood such fancy math....nice try genius but you are not fooling anybody.

p.s. inertia is ghey

Bodhisattva
    Boulder sounds like hell.

The yuppies up here in Larimer drive BMWs

― Albert Einstein

Roy
    mtbr member

<DL><DD> </DD></DL>
    • d = diameter
    Fo will be re-running the numbers with Cactus and respond shortly. They're tight.

trail fairy
    Blue tooth ear peaces ar the GHEYiest bey otch est accessory ever invented!

1: Rule one take the fooking thing out ya head if ya not actuall talking on the phone

2: Don't drive with one if observing rule number 1..

3: Baby boomers and blue tooth anything including wearing said GHEY accessory is just plain wrong and I get embarressed for em!

We will all end up looking like this if this craziness consumerisum ryhmes like communisim continues!

Keep it pure Homies, we must resist the BORG and not be assimilatd by the i d i o t s in charge, its all a beautiful lie

Beam me up Scotty, Kirk out

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

By popular demand

here's a pic of one of the original Mavericks. "Normal" fork, though. As seen at the trailhead at Heil (not to be confused with Hall) Ranch just last week.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

tg
    mtbr member
    That thing makes me throw up in in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Fo will be re-running the numbers with Cactus and respond shortly. They're tight.
    Thanks Roy...i will make sure I spell them out very clearly so the average homer can understand them as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's a scary seat tube angle

That thing makes me throw up in in my mouth.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey Fo you coming out to Colorado this summer?

Thanks Roy...i will make sure I spell them out very clearly so the average homer can understand them as well
    PM me and let's hook up. I'll show you how truly slow I really am. Might even show you Heil Ranch too.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    PM me and let's hook up. I'll show you how truly slow I really am. Might even show you Heil Ranch too.
    still working on the "permission slip"...should know shortly

definitley wouldn't ride with squeaky cuz he will no doubt be on his vastly superior 29er 5" FS bike by then...and no way could i keep up

Bodhisattva
    still working on the "permission slip"...should know shortly

definitley wouldn't ride with squeaky cuz he will no doubt be on his vastly superior 29er 5" FS bike by then...and no way could i keep up
    I'll level the playing field and ride my Mav when you're here

― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I'll level the playing field and ride my Mav when you're here
    lol...fu!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    You must either live in Boulder Co or Vail.
    Those are the only 2 places I ever see Mavs frames.
    Or Marin County. We got some here too. Of course, it figures-- Marin is the only location that can Out-Boulder Boulder.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    the Fox 40 is a classic, big stiff but Ive seen more lowers broken crowns etc and hear constantly from peeps, oil leaks, some things are designed as pure race products only, made purley to perform and not for real world hacks like us.
    TA, I call BS on your call you have seen more Fox 40 lowers broken that what? How many? Come on Bro, that is blowing it up a little bro.....

Take the Marz 66 fork out of your porridge....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    All this and nobody brought up the fact that the Mav DUC 32 is way lighter than any other six inch fork on the market. Who cares if it leaks all over the front brake pads. Brakes are a crutch anyway. And I don't get the basing on the Rock Shox SID SL we all know that wet noodles are a good source of carbohydrates.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-06-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Well, the Mav do not win any beauty contests but they do climb well. Yes, they don't descend well and skitter all over the place. They climb as effectively as shorter-travel bikes like the Epi, Flux, ASR, but crap, I think they descend worse. The riders are normally rude (okay, the only two I have run into) but I can't diss their rides. I stopped and asked them how they were doing (they were taking a break) and unlike every other rider I have met, these freaks just took off. I wasn't wearing a see-through turban or white speedos either. Next time, I'm wearing both.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    TA, I call BS on your call you have seen more Fox 40 lowers broken that what? How many? Come on Bro, that is blowing it up a little bro.....

Take the Marz 66 fork out of your porridge....
    Haha I forgot you had one of those

Not that Ive been to any of late, but you could go into any bike shop here that has a real workshop and see broken or screwed up 40s buddy Im not kidding last year I seen stuff and heard from the guys direct there stories!

Boxxers and 888s rule here sure there are plenty of 40s Im just saying what I seen dude, a bud I raced with is like you has a 40 loves it wouldn't ride anything else, now on his now new addition Morewood Izzumi(dam nice bike) it was a leaky leaky boat bit like split enz in the 80s bro...Oil pissing everywhere all the time.

When ya finally settle down on these shores again (if thats possible you will see first hand, plus you should know Kiwi's no how to fook anything, I don't dislike the 40, I just look at it as a pure race fork, to me the WC 888 WC Boxxer is the same I would never own any of those myself just because of the high levels of maintenance required, with out question all 3 are top performing forks, but at a cost and a price, just like a good looking women
    Last edited by trailadvent; 05-06-2008 at 12:03 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Well, the Mav do not win any beauty contests but they do climb well. Yes, they don't descend well and skitter all over the place. They climb as effectively as shorter-travel bikes like the Epi, Flux, ASR, but crap, I think they descend worse. The riders are normally rude (okay, the only two I have run into) but I can't diss their rides. I stopped and asked them how they were doing (they were taking a break) and unlike every other rider I have met, these freaks just took off. I wasn't wearing a see-through turban or white speedos either. Next time, I'm wearing both.
    Ha-ha too funny! Maybe it was dirty look you were giving their funny looking bikes.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

trail fairy
    Slightly off topic but still fork related..

Rumour number 1 started by some lard ass couch potato called ta, here;s some pix, is the death of riple clamp air forks neigh?

The new proto Boxxer WC 38mm maxle with Ti yes coil internals (WC 888 copy if ya ask me) lol coil rulz Sam 2

Steve Peat rocking the new Boxxer

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    The 24mm axle may be stiffer than a 20mm axle, but it's only the axle. The actual Maverik forksis very flexy laterally compared to any non-inverted 20mm fork.
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

Baked Alaskan

Sweet rant!!!

You're in classic form on this one, I don't get why Mav's spark such hatred. Plenty of people ride them and like them, just like Blur's, Mojo's, E's, Cannondale's and so forth. Now all those rides may be crap and inferior to Turners, but where's the love for MTB's in general? Was this one infused with one of those uber-hopped beers you're always posting pics of? Holistic Dry Cleaner, that one had me laughing all day.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I don't get why Mav's spark such hatred.
    Have you ridden one?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    You're in classic form on this one, I don't get why Mav's spark such hatred. Plenty of people ride them and like them, just like Blur's, Mojo's, E's, Cannondale's and so forth. Now all those rides may be crap and inferior to Turners, but where's the love for MTB's in general? Was this one infused with one of those uber-hopped beers you're always posting pics of? Holistic Dry Cleaner, that one had me laughing all day.
    We all happy!

When we don't know what we don't know

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    The 24mm axle may be stiffer than a 20mm axle, but it's only the axle. The actual Maverik forksis very flexy laterally compared to any non-inverted 20mm fork.
    with all due respect Scott, my analyses conducted in EXCEL still suggest the Maverick, either the SC32 or DUC, to be approx 20% stiffer than any 20mm thru axle fork (data on file)

gravity curmudgeon
    Oh, oh ... I want to Mav bash too. Can I play?

I rode one of the first Mavs back in 1997. It was a demo at the 2nd Fruita FTF. That was also the first FS bike I ever rode. After that I stuck with a hardtail until 2005. 1 + 1 = ...

But, I don't do Boulder bashing. Nope. My herbalist, tantric sexual practice leader, and dog yoga teacher all live there. I wouldn't want them to get upset. Hard to find such people in Montana.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    My herbalist, tantric sexual practice leader, and dog yoga teacher all live there.
    I'd think Renny would want you to keep your relationship with him more private.

― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast