Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Why ?

  1. #1
    tg
    tg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,368

    Why ?

    Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.

  2. #2
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

    Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

    Asthetically the fork looks kinda cool.

  3. #3
    gravity curmudgeon
    Reputation: cowdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,460
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,700
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Not only that but they are terrible decenders. The way the BB moves witht he rear suspension is stupid. If you are out of the saddle on a decent you are losing travel because all your weight is conflicting/weighting down the BB. The obstical on the trail has to move you (the rider) and the suspension. Such a Dumb design. Someone needs to slap Paul turner for creating that retarded bike. Here's another idea... create an inverted fork that leeks all over your front brake constantly contaminating the rotor and pads. Real slick!! Then lets top it off with a JAMOKE of a front derailuer mnt. Yikes.

    Sorry for the rant. I can't stand those bikes.

    Asthetically the fork looks kinda cool.
    What do you expect from someone who brought you winners such as the Sid XL ans the Psylo?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,622
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.
    You must either live in Boulder Co or Vail.
    Those are the only 2 places I ever see Mavs frames.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    tg
    tg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,368
    Eagle ( Vail valley )

  7. #7
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,466
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Asthetically the fork looks kinda cool.

    NOT IMO. Worse than Colored sidewalls.

  8. #8
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,622
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Eagle ( Vail valley )
    A few years ago a gal I know in Vail bought a Mav at the same time as her boyfriend.


    When asked why Maverick, she replied "it has a really cool paint job."
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    All the cool kids ride Mavericks.

    The really kewl kids are riding the Seven Duo. Costs 3 times as much for the same crappy ride. "But Ti will last forever!"

    Riders know.
    Long Live Long Rides

  10. #10
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison

  11. #11
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Why do all my ride buds ride Mavericks? Am I missing something ? They seem to have front shifting and fork issues alot. My 5-spot runs perfect all the time . I also think they are on the ugly end of the stick.
    5Spots have no problems

    also think they are on the ugly end of the stick
    ya agree BUSH PIGS
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nyquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison
    Arm chair engineering at its finest right there.

  13. #13
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    Arm chair engineering at its finest right there.
    He's a moron.

    20/24=0.83
    1 - 0.83= 17

    Therefore, the Mav is only 17% stiffer
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,700
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison
    Sure, but going to an inverted design negates that, they're using a 24mm not to be stiffer than a 20mm fork, but to retain enough stiffness to make it comparable to a non-inverted design. Put a 24mm axle on a non-inverted fork and you'd have a far stiffer fork than a maverick. Plus, what kind of "stiffness" are we talking about? There's more than one direction, latteral, tortion (the one I assume you're discussing), fore-aft.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  15. #15
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maverick makes the stiffest forks is one reason. A 24mm axle is going to be 20% stiffer than a lame 20mm thru axle...no comparison
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

    Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

    Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    Last edited by Renegade; 05-05-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    ****

  16. #16
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Bigger is not always better, design and implementation is as much more important as is the number, while I know what Fo is saying!

    If anyone finds 20mm not enough I want to see pix to prove it!!

    Stiffness alone does not mean better, in some areas its desirable, others flex is nessecary in key areas to get the characteristics required to perform! you can apply this to many things not just mtb

    Also going oversized means thinner material to achieve the same weight specifications, this leads to dings, possible structual issues, while not probably an issue with Mav Hubs or Kings 24mm, the Fox 40 is a classic, big stiff but Ive seen more lowers broken crowns etc and hear constantly from peeps, oil leaks, some things are designed as pure race products only, made purley to perform and not for real world hacks like us.

    Not saying Mav's hub is like that, but Momentus has one of there forks 2plus years its gathered dust a long warranty story so we won't go there, he can't give it away..

    And it is a BUSH PIG ugliest thing Ive ever seen
    Apologies to all Maverick owners Ive insulted its not personal

    Chur
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    How much are those Taiwanese frames going for now?

  18. #18
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    Arm chair engineering at its finest right there.
    what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

    i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts

  19. #19
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    You oughta get one of those forks Fo'. It will go real well with that CCDB you're getting that you will resell in less than two months.

    Around Boulder the Maverick is the yuppie bike of choice, and they love to all go riding together. It's such a ghey sight to see. Yuppie poindexter asks his friend; "what kind of mtb should I buy, I don't know anything about them? Friend says; "buy what I ride!" Yuppie says; "okay!"

    Edited for content. I didn't want to offend all the sensitive ccdb owners out there.
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous

  20. #20
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    already have one (fork) and its great. plus, it looks killer at the trailhead. as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  21. #21
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    as for your yuppie comments...clearly you are jealous
    Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.
    ****

  22. #22
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Damn straight! I want to drive around Boulder at 100 MPH in my Audi yaking on my blue tooth drinking a mocha chai latte en route to my dog's counseling session after picking up my laundry from the Holistic dry-cleaner with my Maverick poseur bike clamped to the roof.
    Boulder sounds like SoCal

  23. #23
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Boulder sounds like SoCal
    Damn! You beat me to it Fo.

    BTW, when we goin' riding? Little Pine is as good as it gets right now.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nyquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    what are you talking about? why do you think fork companies went from standard quick release to 20mm....cuz its stiffer. So clearly, going from 20mm to Mavericks 24mm makes it 20% more stiff as compared to the 20mm.

    i may have only taken junior college level math but know enough to state these simple facts
    A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?


    Second Moment of Inertia for Circular cross section





    • d = diameter
    I'm sure your Jr College math skills can take it from there.

  25. #25
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    A 24mm tube is stiffer than a 20mm tube by 20% is a simple fact?


    Second Moment of Inertia for Circular cross section






    • d = diameter
    I'm sure your Jr College math skills can take it from there.
    boy i wish i had your cut and paste skills to i too could pretend i understood such fancy math....nice try genius but you are not fooling anybody.

    p.s. inertia is ghey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •