Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who's bike is more valuable than their car?

3K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  meatsteak 
#1 ·
I bought my wife a new car and now driving her old Expedition. The only thing green about it is the color of the paint, but it makes a great Turner bike hauler with room to spare. Since the gas price spike these massive gas guzzlers are worth nothing. My latest trip to Autotrader.com told me my mechanically perfect hauler is worth $2100 - Ouch!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
yeah! very slick.

not too many years back, say... 1997, i was drivin a old toyota corona wagon i paid $500 for with a $50 used blackburn rack that carried a $6000 burner, a $3000 stumpjumper and a $5000 merckx. i was gonna get plates that read "6kmtb". priorities. times have changed. now i have a car worth 5 figures with a new 4 bike roof rack and several more high end bikes than before. im sure the ratio is about the same overall.

this should get interesting.

#6 ·
Up till a month ago, I was driving a 93' ford explorer w/ 190,000 miles. Was not worth anything so i give it to my sister-in-law who is about to turn sevventeen. I figured she could finish it off the next year. It has a thule roof rack and has carried my burner for the last five years nicely. Now I drive a toyota tundra-a big step up for me.

#10 ·
2007 Turner RFX, versus a 1986 Nissan D21 Pick-up. The only option the old pick-up has is power steering. Speedo and Odo quite working about 2 years ago so I have no idea how many miles are on it now. Brakes leak a bit, something rattles in the 4 wheel drive, and the suspension needs some serious love, but it goes down the road, and gets my RFX where I want it to go. Only paid $600 for the truck, think I spent about $4000 building up the RFX! Then there's my Cross Check that's worth about $2,000, and my Transition Trail or Park easily worth about $1600. LOL, I have an issue!

happy trails...

squish

#11 ·
As far as personal worth goes, our bikes are worth more than our car. Thankfully, our incomes or daily lives no longer revolve around car ownership to keep us from being cut off from the world.

As far as the value of SUV's, hell, if gas prices stay stable in some years when I come back to the US, then hell, I'll buy a cheap Pathfinder or 4runner type deal, and structure my life around not using a car for my daily life. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be the case and I really don't mind mildly powered cars to do 65, so long as they can get out of their own way.

#19 ·

Canfield lucky and a 2008 SC BLT2 both with pretty sweet builds. Definitely each is worth more then my 91 integra. The BLT2 is my roommates though. My car is to get my bike to places. I don't drive it around town, I have a commuter for that, and its not something I care about other then to drive my bike places to ride.

#22 ·
I remember back on the late 90's an old Ford Tempo parked at the trailhead. This car was so beat that insteat of a roo rack it had bike mounts bolted directly to the roof and trunk. I didn't see the bike but am pretty sure it was worth more than the Tempo.

#23 ·
My Sultan still has a ways to catch up to my beloved diesel Ram.

2004 Ram 2500 w/ HO Cummins, 106,100 on the odometer (106k is paltry for a diesel). Hauls 6 bikes easily (plus the people - I can haul my family to the trail and have my very own group ride :))

KBB retail value still at $20k. Private party - probably $18k.

#25 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Does that apply to cars brought from out of the country? I noted some Danes come down to DE to buy cars, and people from DE go to NL and to Au to get their cars a bit cheaper.
Yes it also applys to your own import, so the price is often the same, but the german cars are often a little better equiped, and have less rustproblems, because of the slightly varmer climate in southern Germany.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.