Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

who knows jack about '04/'03 boxxer race's?

i have a shot at a old '03, maybe '04 boxxer race, cheap. its NOS so its not junk... but is it crap? as it stands, id only use it 1 or 2 weekends a year on the rfx for the rare dh race so im not lookin to spend 888 money here. it needs a upper crown but i cant see that as bein a hard to find part or hard on the visa once i do. if ya need to know, im a buck sittyfive before i armor up.

discuss.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

anyone?

maybe this is a sign i should find a old jr t or a near mint shiver dc.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had one, an 03 or 04, it was the army-green color. The bottom line is that eventually they changed to motion control, and if yours doesn't have that, it's pretty crappy. The non-moco ones (the one I had) has a rebound damper, and then the other leg is COMPLETELY EMPTY, it has no compression damper. I retrofitted a compression damper from an old 99 boxxer into mine, and modded it to get 6.8" of travel, but it was far from a "good fork" even with that, as the old boxxers were pretty crappy as well. The boxxer race also has a spacer that allows you to set it up for 6 or 7" of travel. The boxxer race isn't worth much, and it doesn't work very well. If MoCo could be retrofitted you might have something, but I don't know how possible that is.

Heh, a mint shiver DC would be at least 10 times the fork. Maybe could find an old super T, and that would also be far far better. A Jr T would be better, but not by much.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

thanx man. i was wonderin if it was worth it for the price im lookin at which aint much mind ya. its never been ridden so i figure im safe in that respect. reviews are 60/40 on the positive side but the negitives are pretty loudly negitive. maybe ill give it a go just for kicks. try those mods ya speak of and make it a spare ya know.

the shiver would be great but the cost may not be worth it as im sure parts are gettin harder to find. the 1 i have my eye on has been recently redone inside and out so thats somethin and would be a easyer swap to a dhr someday.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some shiver parts could be hard to find, but it uses 35mm stanchions like the old 888, 66, current 55, and so on, so there are no shortage of seals, and apart from those you really don't need anything else usually. I put a shiver on the bike that had the boxxer race. The boxxer race was RSs version of the Jr T. A shiver would be highly worth it if it was cheap and leaking like an siv, put new seals and oil in it and away you go for a while.

Heh! Here's my old review;

"Less than 1 month
    Purchased At: Stock on SGS Pro
    Strengths: Light, works well at medium speeds or when the terrain is fairly smooth.
    Weaknesses: Spikes spikes and spikes. When the trail gets really rocky and choppy, and you want to make up time, forget about it. This fork makes it hard to hold on to the front of your bike, I tried all the different rebound settings I could and it changed nothing.
    Similar Products Used: 99 Boxxer, 00 Boxxer, Super T, Monster T, Shiver, Xvert C, MX6, S8....
    Bike Setup: 03 SGS Pro, stock.
    Bottom Line: It's too bad that they can't design a fork that does low speed AND high speed "well", instead of making it "exceptionally well" at low to medium speed, and "crap" at high speed, which is what this is. Like my 99 boxxer it takes drops pretty well, but this feels even less controlled than that did, and it seems to be from the spiking. It's too bad, I was expecting something that obviously wouldn't feel like a monster T or anything, but I was also expecting to see the trickle down effect, at least from the previous years boxxers. My friend has a broken 00 boxxer and I am going to try the compression cart from that and see if it helps. I gotta say this feels about as bad as a Jr T, better in the mid-speed range though, but at high speed pretty much the same.

Even still, it IS a great value, and it's upgradable, but its a pain in the wrist stock, 3 chilies when combining the preformance with value, but by preformance alone I wouldn't rate it high at all. My 6" 1998 Super T feels better in every way."
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

hows about a NIB '07 super t for 450 shipped?
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    is it 7 or 8 inch travel?
    you'd think there would be plenty of really good deals on 7 inch DC forks. A friend has one called a super t pro, watch for one of those. Better still might be a 888 SL Ata you could run it at the optimal height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    I would steer clear of any boxxer pre 06, unless you want to send it to darren for some love. The Super T's however are pretty nice forks right out of the box, & since you will only be riding it once in a while, you should be stoked on it.

You may also want to throw a low offer on one of the 08 Boxxer Races on e-bay? It's worth a try!

its a 185, just over 7" so i figure it should give me the h/a im lookin for when i hit those steep, rocky chutes that punched my ticket last year. theres 1 left boys!
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    that does look good, what's it weigh?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    chur

~~~~~~~~
    'zilla should look into something like that for the pure DH days.

no one knows but some say "not too heavy". heres some reviews.
    No, I'm NOT back!