Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    ...master of none
    Reputation: bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453

    Where is Upper Porcupine Rim?

    I just posted this on the Utah forum, but figured I'd post it here too, since so many homers seem to have ridden this trail...

    My wife and I are heading to Moab tonight and would like to know more about this so-called Upper Porcupine Rim area. I've also heard references to Burro Pass and Hazard County, but I don't know if these are all the same thing or not.

    We've ridden Porc Rim a number of times, so we're familiar with the main trail, but not anything above it. The only info I could find was this post from macrider:
    also, if you do Porcupine Rim - head up beyond the normal start (the beginning of the climb) - keep driving up until the road gets flat and you cross a cattle guard - there is singletrack to the left of the fence/cattle guard - there are two branches - you take the left-hand that follows the barb-wire fence for a bit - this adds some miles of very tasty singletrack
    Anyone care to elaborate on these directions? Like, how many miles past the normal trailhead does the upper trail start? We were hoping to avoid a shuttle...how many miles and how much climbing would that be?

    Thanks!

    bock

  2. #2
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,302
    ABout 2 miles beyond the normal dropoff you will come to a cattle guard, stop here, gear up, on the left side of the road(facing uphill)you will see a barbed wire fence, cross the fence near the cattle guard and the trail parallels the fence heading downhill.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  3. #3
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Bock,
    I was part of the Homer crowd that did Upper Porc last week. I hadn't ridden Porc for 10 years prior to visint Moab last week and so I'm going to recommend that you check in with one of the shops if you don't get the answer here.

    The shuttle drove us quite a ways up into the hills. The ride was over 30 minutes. As memory serves me, the Upper Porc trailhead isn't even on the same road as regular Porc and I don't recall any cattle fence.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Bock,
    IThe shuttle drove us quite a ways up into the hills. The ride was over 30 minutes. As memory serves me, the Upper Porc trailhead isn't even on the same road as regular Porc and I don't recall any cattle fence.

    ummm, yeah, actually it is on the same road - you come to the area where people start the climb up Porcupine (wide place in the road - signage and trail on your left driving up) - you drive for another 10-15 minutes as I said - you cross a cattle guard - and the trail begining will be on your left, running along the fence for a while

    if you're talking about going all the way up into the La Salles and doing "Burro Down" - which includes sections of a number of trails linked together - then, yes, THAT is off a different road...

    but the upper little piece of Porc Rim is on the same road - and not hard to find

  5. #5
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    lemme ask this. 2 years back i did porc with some pals as a going away ride while moving from az to iowa, yeah, iowa. we also did the coyote shuttle thing and the driver told us of a offshoot on porc that took us off the right side of the main fireroad/trail about 1/2 way up to the rim. it added a few miles of sweet singletrack we were told but i was one who opted to stay on the main drag. 1 buddy took it however and returned, again on the right side, just a few hundred yards shy of the point with tales of a excellent and buff trial. is this the same "upper porc" you guys are talkin about?
    No, I'm NOT back!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    lemme ask this. 2 years back i did porc with some pals as a going away ride while moving from az to iowa, yeah, iowa. we also did the coyote shuttle thing and the driver told us of a offshoot on porc that took us off the right side of the main fireroad/trail about 1/2 way up to the rim. it added a few miles of sweet singletrack we were told but i was one who opted to stay on the main drag. 1 buddy took it however and returned, again on the right side, just a few hundred yards shy of the point with tales of a excellent and buff trial. is this the same "upper porc" you guys are talkin about?
    that sounds like it - adds a few miles of very tasty s/t is right

  7. #7
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,364
    Take a shuttle from town. They will not take you up Sand Flats road like the start to the normal Porc fare, but rather waaay out of town and up on the La Sals loop road. They will drop you off where the Kokopelli trail intersects with the La Sals loop road, and you will ride down this doubletrack for about 2 miles. After crossing the first cattleguard, take the obvious singletrack on the right. This is the upper Porc singletrack and it will take you all the way to High Anxiety Viewpoint (the high point on the normal Porc ride). It is worth the shuttle fee.

    Hazard county is an additional section of trail from Warner Lake down, and is currently closed and being rerouted. You can go even higher up into the La Sals for a very epic descent, but just have fun on the Upper and Lower Porcs for now.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  8. #8
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Cheezy,

    Thanks for clarifying what I was unable to articulate. That shuttle was well worth the dollars spent.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,682

    Looked into it

    If it's the same trail Poison Spider said Burro (also known as the Whole Enchilada) starts in the La Sal Mtns and spans 36miles but it snowed up there when I was in Moab last week so I don't know what condition it's in. Also they told me that they are just puting the finishing touches on the last section of singletrack where you used to have to ride the road for a while.

  10. #10
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    After crossing the first cattleguard, take the obvious singletrack on the right. This is the upper Porc singletrack and it will take you all the way to High Anxiety Viewpoint (the high point on the normal Porc ride). It is worth the shuttle fee.
    So the upper Porc ST your talking about starts way up higher than the point beyond the normal trailhead macrider is talking about?

  11. #11
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,777
    here's a few pic's from upper porc from last april.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (123.8 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.5 KB, 212 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.8 KB, 211 views)

  12. #12
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,364
    It's a bit confusing because Sand Flats Rd, which the standard Porc ride starts off of, also goes all the way up to the La Sals loop road. Just get a map and look for where the Kokopelli trail intersects the La Sals loop road. Upper Porc follows the Koko down from the loop road about a mile or two and then leaves the DT and begins the ST on the right just after the cattle guard. This is all sounding way more confusing than it really is because people are taking different roads to the trailhead.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  13. #13
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    It's a bit confusing because Sand Flats Rd, which the standard Porc ride starts off of, also goes all the way up to the La Sals loop road. Just get a map and look for where the Kokopelli trail intersects the La Sals loop road. Upper Porc follows the Koko down from the loop road about a mile or two and then leaves the DT and begins the ST on the right just after the cattle guard. This is all sounding way more confusing than it really is because people are taking different roads to the trailhead.
    Yeah, I understand about the 2 different roads, but I was curious if the ST trailhead by the cattle guard is the same point macrider is talking about. The reason I ask is we will be there in a few weeks and I want to check it out, if we have 2 vehicles then driving another 10-15 minutes beyond the normal trailhead(macrider's directions) might make more sense then all of us paying a shuttle fee. If there is more ST above this point then the shuttle makes more sense.

    Of course, the shuttle is much easier I agree but some of our group are cheap bastards and we can make them go retrieve the vehicle

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,364
    We always used Coyote Shuttle to get to the top. Give them a call, (435) 259-8656, if you don't want to hassle with the additional drive time and logistics of two cars.

  15. #15
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,056
    The shuttle was cheap and hassle free. A true no brainer. Man what a ride down it was...even with one pedal
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

  16. #16
    ...master of none
    Reputation: bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Thanks for all you comments, everyone. I just posted a short ride report and (hopefully) some clear directions here.

    bock

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •