mtbr member
    Jan 2006

When does a Nitrous feel like a super plush ride..

When your only other bike has been a Carbon Hard Tail!!

I have purposefully restrained from posting on the Turner board until I was a card carrying Turner owner. Well for three weeks now I have had my biking world revolutionized by inspiring ride of the Nitrous. I picked up an almost new Nitrous (in ano gold) from a local guy. I test road everything "new" out there. Top Fuels, Anthem's, Epic's, all the new sexy hydroformed, racer build stuff. Nothing rode like the Turner.

As a former collegiate distance runner I have what I have been told is "good engine". However, I am just getting started in my mt. bike racing career and cannot descend very well yet. The guys I ride with tell me that I climb like a 90lb doped up spanish guy but descend like their girlfriends (hey just quoting them).

I have always been told by the SoPro crowd (wrongly) that "lightness is everything so race a carbon hard tail".

So I did. 19lbs of carbon racer dream. In a word, it sucked. It almost made me become a road biker it sucked so bad. it may be good for racing in Europe but not for the Colorado race scene. especially on the downhills for a guy who has only been on a bike of any kind for 3 years. More than anything it was zero fun.

With the Nitrous mountain biking has become more than just speed, but it is pure enjoyment. and what I have found is that when it is fun, fast comes along naturally. The bike climbs BETTER than my hardtail as the rear end stays glued to the trail on the long, steep, rocky climbs that fill our rides. There are a couple of long climbs we do from my house that I have set personal records on without even trying. The flats are no problem and the descending....well let's just say I return from my rides not with a wrecked body and a sore back but with what I have been calling my "Perma-Grin". And here is the kicker....my nitrous just weighed in at 22.64 lbs complete!!

I have my next race on the 30th, the epic Tipperary Creek course in Winter Park CO. I cannot wait to rip it with the Nitrous. I cannot imagine the plushness of riding a Spot or RFX like many of you! But coming from three years on a carbon hard tail (my only other bike) the Nitrous seems like it has endless suspension.

Here is the build:
    I am 5'7" 130 lbs.
    Frame: Turner Nitrous with Horst Link (Medium)
    Shock: RP23
    Fork: Fox F100 RLC
    Headset: Chris King Ti
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom SL Ti
    Stem: Easton EA90
    Bar: Easton EC 90 Flat
    Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam
    Shifting: Sram XO twisty
    Rear Der: Sram XO
    Cassette: XTR
    Chain: PC991 Sram
    Front: XTR
    Crankset: XTR 960
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy 4ti
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL with Goodridge lines
    Wheelset: Black Industry 9 hubs and spokes on DT Rims (not the lightest wheels but the hubs and stiffness make me an I9 superfan)
    Skewers: Hope
    Tires: F: Specialzed S-works the Captain (2bilss with stan's) only 535 grams
    R: Specialized S-works Fast Track LK (2bliss with Stan's) only 510 grams

I will be keeping you all updated as I do my first 12 hour race aboard the Nitrous in September in Aspen. The only problem with the Nitrous is that now I want to get a Spot or an RFX and get into the wonderful world of All-Mountain riding.

I will add some pics soon. We are experiencing a rare rainy and cold August day. It was 46 degrees this morning!
    Let the good times roll!!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ok, ya have me stoked. i hope yer happy now.

cool story man. about that 100mm fork on a nitrous....
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

should I go with 80mm?

I know the recommended fork was 80mm but I wanted something more plush. do you think it is screwing up the handling? I am new to this suspension thing so any feedback is appreciated
    Let the good times roll!!

No, that's not phonetic
    Sounds like a great bike. If you ever are looking for some bigger knobs in a light tire, the Speshy Storm is impressive. 525g.

A 100mm fork on a Nitrous would be sweet. I have to admit I have never totally understood the whole XC-race-bikes-need-to-be-a-handful school of thought. When your brain has not seen an oxygen molecule in over an hour and you just hurled a lung, the last thing you need is a twitchy bike. Extra suspension and stable handling equals fast in my book. I've demoed a Nitrous with an 80mm fork up front a few times. It was aluminum lightning but I don't think an extra inch of travel would have been a bad thing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've always said any rear suspension beats the crap out of no rear suspension, even if it's just three inches. Throw in the fact it's a Nitrous you're now riding...welcome to the world of "Full Suspension is Better Than Hardtails (even for racing)".

I wonder if Lance is sitting in his hotel room wondering if he'd won the Leadville 100 if only he'd ridden a hardtail like Wiens?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

for pure xc racing, id have to say yes. the longer fork will chopper it out and detract from its point and squirt cornering charactoristics therefore, slowin yer skinny ass down.

cheesester has a point but id think it would only apply to endurance events. adding to that, im not sure the nitrous is the right weapon for those races anyway. as plush as ya may find it today, i think itll begin to tax ya after hour 4 or so. its pretty stiff and for damn good reason. its made to be a fockin sprint rocket, not so much a all day pleasure ride. the flux is a much better choice in this reguard. a much, much better choice. some say a 5" spot can also be a fine enduro racer if built up super light. not so sure about the newer 5.5" versions.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    The XC racing guys I know here in CO all ride 100mm forks, not sure how it would affect the Nitrous handling but you sound awfully happy with the ride so why bother changing.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Hopefully DT can confirm this, but I believe that Kabush went with a 100mm fork on his Nitrous.

mtbr member
    pics please

i just checked the setup sticky. of the 6 bikes posted, 2 have 100 mm forks. dunno if its a rider preference or a terrain based choice but i was surprised to see that ratio. maybe theres somethin to it i didnt realize but if were mine, id go 80. ive got a tallish x-fly on my stinger (top of the suggested limit) and as fast as that sucker is in the twisties, solid in the chop, i still wish for a lower a2c on the climbs and overall. lookin for a touch more carving ability than i have now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I ran 80mm Manitou forks (before they really started to suck) on my Stinger and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Damn! Now you're making me miss that bike again.

my guess is they have similar geo but i dont have the time to check before work. i do know theyre reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaal similar in concept. a pure, no fockin around, xc race machine. why ya wanna put a tall fork on 1 and lose that ultra crisp feel is lost on me. my excuse? its all i had and i work in news so im broke.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Stick with the 100, & yes that Geoff guy did run it thta way also!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velo bum
    Stick with the 100, & yes that Geoff guy did run it thta way also!
    and presumably you would know something about it ...

(a friend of mine took the picture at Windham)

BTW, what tires were you running?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Great post. Specs look really good. Really, the Nitrous was designed with lighter riders like you in mind. Good luck with your first race!
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

100mm

Geoff K and Velobum both run 100's on the front so it must be good!

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tipperary Creek

Quote Originally Posted by blaise
    When your only other bike has been a Carbon Hard Tail!!

I have purposefully restrained from posting on the Turner board until I was a card carrying Turner owner. Well for three weeks now I have had my biking world revolutionized by inspiring ride of the Nitrous. I picked up an almost new Nitrous (in ano gold) from a local guy. I test road everything "new" out there. Top Fuels, Anthem's, Epic's, all the new sexy hydroformed, racer build stuff. Nothing rode like the Turner.

As a former collegiate distance runner I have what I have been told is "good engine". However, I am just getting started in my mt. bike racing career and cannot descend very well yet. The guys I ride with tell me that I climb like a 90lb doped up spanish guy but descend like their girlfriends (hey just quoting them).

I have always been told by the SoPro crowd (wrongly) that "lightness is everything so race a carbon hard tail".

So I did. 19lbs of carbon racer dream. In a word, it sucked. It almost made me become a road biker it sucked so bad. it may be good for racing in Europe but not for the Colorado race scene. especially on the downhills for a guy who has only been on a bike of any kind for 3 years. More than anything it was zero fun.

With the Nitrous mountain biking has become more than just speed, but it is pure enjoyment. and what I have found is that when it is fun, fast comes along naturally. The bike climbs BETTER than my hardtail as the rear end stays glued to the trail on the long, steep, rocky climbs that fill our rides. There are a couple of long climbs we do from my house that I have set personal records on without even trying. The flats are no problem and the descending....well let's just say I return from my rides not with a wrecked body and a sore back but with what I have been calling my "Perma-Grin". And here is the kicker....my nitrous just weighed in at 22.64 lbs complete!!

I have my next race on the 30th, the epic Tipperary Creek course in Winter Park CO. I cannot wait to rip it with the Nitrous. I cannot imagine the plushness of riding a Spot or RFX like many of you! But coming from three years on a carbon hard tail (my only other bike) the Nitrous seems like it has endless suspension.

Here is the build:
    I am 5'7" 130 lbs.
    Frame: Turner Nitrous with Horst Link (Medium)
    Shock: RP23
    Fork: Fox F100 RLC
    Headset: Chris King Ti
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom SL Ti
    Stem: Easton EA90
    Bar: Easton EC 90 Flat
    Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam
    Shifting: Sram XO twisty
    Rear Der: Sram XO
    Cassette: XTR
    Chain: PC991 Sram
    Front: XTR
    Crankset: XTR 960
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy 4ti
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL with Goodridge lines
    Wheelset: Black Industry 9 hubs and spokes on DT Rims (not the lightest wheels but the hubs and stiffness make me an I9 superfan)
    Skewers: Hope
    Tires: F: Specialzed S-works the Captain (2bilss with stan's) only 535 grams
    R: Specialized S-works Fast Track LK (2bliss with Stan's) only 510 grams

I will be keeping you all updated as I do my first 12 hour race aboard the Nitrous in September in Aspen. The only problem with the Nitrous is that now I want to get a Spot or an RFX and get into the wonderful world of All-Mountain riding.

I will add some pics soon. We are experiencing a rare rainy and cold August day. It was 46 degrees this morning!
    Tipperary Creek is a narrow, overgrown, farily steep deep forest road. Didn't do the whole course. Room to pass! Have a local show you the social trails not on maps, they're much better.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been racing a small Nitrous (semi-pro in CO) for over 2 years. I'm about your size, 5'5" 135 lbs. I've used both 80mm and 100mm forks and in general I'm not faster on either. The 100mm is better down really fast stuff, like Crested Butte and Brian Head, and the 80mm is better on flattish sweepers (like the South Rim trail in Durango) and bermed, tight downhills like AngelFire. I think I would run 80mm at Eldora, but I've only run 100mm there in the past and I did all right.

I would definitely run 100mm in 12 hour race. Plush is good for long rides.

I used to run an EC90 bar. I think it's too narrow. I now run an FSA flat bar. The wider bar will give you a lot more control over the bike. That would be the only change I would make to your bike.